A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 16 2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Ryantherebel
Cadet

Recommended Smart Action/Sci-Fi Novels

After discovering the Vorkosigan Saga and rereading The Forever War I'm trying to find more Science Fiction novels that combine exciting action with smart/smartly executed story telling. Now to clear things up, by "action" I don't necessarily mean Military Sci-Fi(although those shouldn't be excluded) I'd like more variety like cyberpunk or present based science fiction.
Ryantherebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: Recommended Smart Action/Sci-Fi Novels

I just finished Linda Nagata's The Red: First Light, which is pretty nifty near-future military SF, tightly structured with some tense action sequences, and thoughtful about the consequences of contemporary political, technological, and military-industrial structures. There's a romantic subplot that doesn't work or go anywhere interesting, but otherwise it's a slick, smart read.
Old May 16 2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Only Superhuman by Christopher Bennett.

(Full disclosure: I edited the book, but it sounds like exactly what you're looking for!)
Old May 16 2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

The first three books of the Honor Harrington series by David Weber have some good action scenes in them: On Basilisk Station, The Honor of the Queen, and A Short Victorious War.

If you liked The Forever War, you might want to compare and contrat with Heinlein's Star Ship Troopers if you've not alread read it. and for the love of god, avoid/ignore the movie. Also by Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress has pretty engaging action sequences.
Old May 16 2013, 10:31 PM   #5
Bob Morton
Lieutenant Commander

Poul Anderson's Harvest of Stars. It's a big chase around a future Earth. Different cultures, technologies, politics and genotypes are highlighted. I actually like the sequel, The Stars are also Fire, better, but there's far less 'action.' Check them both out if you haven't yet.
Bob Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:15 PM   #6
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Mysterion wrote: View Post
The first three books of the Honor Harrington series by David Weber have some good action scenes in them: On Basilisk Station, The Honor of the Queen, and A Short Victorious War.
What was wrong with Field of Dishonor and Flag In Exile? (Flag in Exile's my personal favorite...)

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Caliburn24
Commodore

You might like S. M. Stirling's Drakon. Technically it is a side sequel of sorts to his Dominion of Draka trilogy, but I read Drakon without having read the prior books and it is perfectly understandable as a standalone book.

Present day. Hero, villain, technology from a future(and alternate) world. Shades of Terminator at certain points, but more fun.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:23 PM   #8
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
What was wrong with Field of Dishonor and Flag In Exile? (Flag in Exile's my personal favorite...)
The character descended into Mary Sue levels of self parody.

In the vein of The Forever War and Starship Troopers you could also add Steakley's Armor.

A very good example of smart action with a cinematic flare is Daniel Keyes Moran's The Longrun. Not sure if it's in print currently. I loved the protagonist in that book. He was always one step ahead.
Old May 16 2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Absolutely nothing wrong with them, but they tend a bit more toward political drama (IMO) then the more action oriented first three books of the series (again, IMO). Your milage may, and seems to, vary.

I do enjoy the entire series, and always await the next book with much anticipation.
Old May 16 2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Mistral
Vice Admiral

OK, here we go:

Bolo by Keith Laumer -read the original, not the sequels by other authors. Although Road To Damascus stands up really well

The Weapon by Michael Z Williamson. Also, Freehold by the same author.

A Talent For War, Seeker and Polaris- all by Jack McDevitt, about a guy who tracks and trades in antiques, only it all takes place a thousand+ years in the future so the stuff he deals in hasn't even been built yet in our time...

Orion Shall Rise by Poul Anderson(and if you like it, the short story collection Mauri and Kith details more about the Mauri Federation)

Most of H Beam Piper's work fits your request. So does Allen Steele's Nearspace novels(check wikipedia for a list)

The Mote In God's Eye- Niven/Pournelle

Santiago, A Myth of the Far Future by Mike Resnick

another SM Stirling suggestion would be The Peshawar Lancers

One that may come close to hitting every point you mentioned is David's Sling by Mark Steigler

and a couple of classics that fit would be Logan's Run by William F. Nolan, The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison, another vote for The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress and Starship Troopers , The Riverworld series by Phillip Jose Farmer, and the Nine Princes In Amber by Roger Zelazny.

There's also Dean Ing's novels, the original 3 Draka novels by Stirling(available in omnibus, I believe), the Retief books by Keith Laumer, and the Timeliner trilogy by Richard C. Meredith. Oh, and the Dorsai books by Gordon Dickinson as well as Pournelle's Falkenberg stories/novels. That should keep you busy for a few weeks.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:59 PM   #11
Mistral
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
The character descended into Mary Sue levels of self parody.

In the vein of The Forever War and Starship Troopers you could also add Steakley's Armor.

A very good example of smart action with a cinematic flare is Daniel Keyes Moran's The Longrun. Not sure if it's in print currently. I loved the protagonist in that book. He was always one step ahead.
oops, totally forgot about that. The Long Run, Armageddon Blues, and basically anything you can find by him is great. Sadly, he quit writing scifi in favor of sports blogging, leaving his House of November mega-story unfinished...

Old May 17 2013, 03:03 AM   #12
Rulius
Fleet Captain

View Rulius's Twitter Profile

If you're into wh40k, these omnibus's are very good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciaphas_Cain
Old May 17 2013, 07:20 AM   #13
stj
Rear Admiral

Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels are probably the best action SF of a non-miitary variety. His Thirteen and his very early Market Forces are also pretty good.

The late, great Andre Norton wrote YA SF before it was trendy, but her ability to write action is greatly underestimated I think.
Old May 17 2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Only Superhuman by Christopher Bennett.

(Full disclosure: I edited the book, but it sounds like exactly what you're looking for!)
Thanks for the recommendation! I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to blow my own horn. Only Superhuman is a hard-SF action novel that's decidedly not military; it's more of a superhero novel set in the asteroid belt, which I do think would fall under "variety." More info at the links in my signature.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2013, 07:54 PM   #15
Mistral
Vice Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Richard K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs novels are probably the best action SF of a non-miitary variety. His Thirteen and his very early Market Forces are also pretty good.

The late, great Andre Norton wrote YA SF before it was trendy, but her ability to write action is greatly underestimated I think.
I just can't get into Morgan's stuff.

Norton's Star Rangers is pretty darn good.