Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 18 2013, 12:46 PM   #61
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: And now The Newsroom....

I guess I'll be the combo-breaker. I hated the old intro and theme, I thought they were pompous, which is a problem which I felt permeated the show as a whole. This new intro is more sedate and I read that as a signal that the show was going to try and be less ostentatious in the second season. I found that this first episode, though not great, mostly lived up to that. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old July 18 2013, 02:21 PM   #62
Australis
Writer

Watching it right now. liking it so far. Don't mind the new credits, give me a few weeks.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 04:50 PM   #63
lennier1
Commodore

It'll probably take a few more episodes to get used to it again.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 04:55 PM   #64
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

Finally got to see the premiere yesterday. I enjoyed it, I like that they were really taking advantage of the great characters and sending them on their own stories.

I really liked the old intro, so I can't say that I'm all that happy with the new one. It's okay, but when I compare it to the old one, it gets a C.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 06:28 PM   #65
Harvey
Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I guess I'll be the combo-breaker. I hated the old intro and theme, I thought they were pompous, which is a problem which I felt permeated the show as a whole. This new intro is more sedate and I read that as a signal that the show was going to try and be less ostentatious in the second season. I found that this first episode, though not great, mostly lived up to that. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Pretty much agreed. I liked the first season -- didn't love it -- but it could be a bit self-important. This episode, while not great, showed marked improvement in that regard, including the new title sequence.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 08:55 PM   #66
Data Holmes
Admiral

I love the interactions between Sam Waterston and Oliva Munn. The "hey money skirt!" exchange alone had me laughing. Will's singing at the desk while all hell breaks loose in the control room was great. Loved the open in the lawyer interview.
Old July 18 2013, 10:37 PM   #67
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Yes, Will singing "Friday" had me in stitches too. Much better than showing how completely klutzey some of the characters can be. One of my few problems with the show is how unbelievably inept they can be at their jobs because they're too busy talking in a way no human being would ever talk. :P

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 12:22 AM   #68
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

They really should do a series set in the newsroom of a newspaper on fleet street there really is nothing like it. Having worked in one for eleven years I know it would be gripping though people may not believe what they see.

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 01:24 AM   #69
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Yes, Will singing "Friday" had me in stitches too. Much better than showing how completely klutzey some of the characters can be. One of my few problems with the show is how unbelievably inept they can be at their jobs because they're too busy talking in a way no human being would ever talk. :P

Mark
That's Sorkin for you.

I liked the episode, I'm guessing the narrative is going to all be in flashback this season? With Will and Mac recounting their experiences the past year to the panel? I think starting in mid-2011 was a mistake that's just "too long ago" to focus, they really should have started with the 2012 election cycle once things got started (not necessarily between Mitt and Obama but during the Republican fiasco.) But I guess they had to address the "American Taliban" comment from Will.

Speaking of couples that need to get over and just hook-up already that's the mindset I'm in with Will and Mac. Jim and Maggie I can deal with but Will and Mac are older adults and obviously want to be together. So just do it you two!

Love Oliva Munn in the series as well, she's really showing some good chops (among other things) in this series.

The new theme/opening I can go either way on. I think I prefer the old theme but I dunno. The visuals for last season where too sit-commy with the clips from past/upcoming episodes.

Should be an interesting season, though, once it really gets rolling.
Old July 19 2013, 03:11 AM   #70
Data Holmes
Admiral

Will singing Friday-> http://youtu.be/840NBcZrPKU
Old July 19 2013, 03:17 AM   #71
TemporalFlux
Commodore

The feeling I had with the season one opening was a great sense of nostalgia. I've always had a fascination with network news for some reason, and it brought back those memories and feelings I've had since I was a kid watching the larger world unfold every night at 6:30 eastern. I'll miss that opening to the show; the new one seems very generic and bland to me.

The first episode also seemed like the teeth had been taken out of the show. I suppose it was the story with Will backing down and pulling back after criticism of his comments. That's not the guy I liked in season one; he wouldn't have cared that much. Now he seems to be slipping back into the Jay Leno of network news, and that won't be nearly as interesting of a show to me.

Anyway, we'll see where it goes in week two.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 02:18 AM   #72
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

WARNING --- SPOILERS!!!!

I have enjoyed the season thus far. As other media outlets have said, the dialogue and acting are more in the vein of West Wing than it was last season. I think the consequences of the "American Taliban" comments were necessary. We can't assume that a group of Republicans, especially this group, would just ignore that. The Genoa story fits into the greater arc of whether or not the Federal Government is overreaching in its power in the War on Terror and with an American citizen being targeted, Will makes a compelling case for why we shouldn't feel bad for a terrorist. Meanwhile, the counter-argument is just as strong when they say "it's not feeling sorry for a terrorist, but being concerned with what is legal." They've done a great job of explaining why Will is a Republican, and even though they are doing that, they show him looking at "Why we hate Will McAvoy" to show he may be full of it and just want to please his audience again. That's Sorkin doing what he does best--making a compelling argument and then giving us a reason for why someone would make it personally.

I think the Maggie-Jim-Don-Lisa story is much more interesting this year, less comedy, than it was last year. Again, showing the consequences of the first kiss is compelling. Last year, you knew where the story was going. They are showing these characters being ripped apart by the decisions they made in season 1. Jim going to New Hampshire, Maggie going to Uganda, etc. I think the Occupy Wall Street story did a nice bow on what was transpiring in the newsroom and Will's reaction to it. The cop asking Will "Are you okay?" etc. They don't know everything that happens in a single episode. These guys aren't always smarter than the news, and that is an improvement. For instance, Mac po-pooing Occupy, not knowing what to do about Genoa.

I do feel, as a criticism, that I knew too much in the first episode that informed the second. I know the Genoa story isn't going to work out, and I think it takes some of the fun out of learning about it. We know it's not true. And the theme of the season seems to be "Can we go too far?" and "What if we're wrong?" It goes further than the "should we do a great news program" and just assuming they know how and don't make mistakes.

That's a small complaint. Everyone has turned in nuanced performances. My favorite scenes thus far have been Will debating about killing an American and Lisa confronting Maggie about Jim. I have to get rid of cable so I have enough money to go back to school, so I won't know what happens in the next 7 episodes until it comes out on DVD. This will probably be my last post for awhile on this topic. But it's good to know the show, with all its potential, is finally realizing it.

*As for the credits, while I cringe when cars are shown in credits (it dates them terribly), I am happy with the new opening showing the everyday process of putting a news cast together, rather than seeing themselves as Edward R. Murrow. It really shows the tone of the show has changed, and I enjoy it much better than last season's credits.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2013, 08:48 PM   #73
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Well, I really like this show. I like WW better, but this one will do.

As a former Republican, now an independent/libertarian, I wouldn't actually consider Will a Republican. I wouldn't even consider him an old-school "Reagan Republican". There's no one thing that I can put my finger on, just the way his dialog has been written in the past season-and-some-change. IMO, he's being written more as a liberal claiming to be a Repulican, who's too embarrassed to really be called a Democrat because the other Democrats he's surrounded himself with are WAY too left for his taste. Maybe it's that most New York Republicans I've ever met would be considered Democrats everywhere else in the country (with the possible exceptions of Massachusetts and various locales on the "left coast"), or maybe it's that he's a Republican trying to work with and compromise with everyone else in the newsroom who appear to be very left-leaning in general and his own personal message sometimes gets a bit muddled. Don't really know, but there does sometimes feel like mixed messages there. That's the best way I can describe it, anyway.

I still enjoy the writing, and it's quite good overall. I just wish the Jim/Maggie thing would kind of go away, but that's just me.
Old July 25 2013, 02:33 AM   #74
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

A pretty decent episode but one thing missing in these two episodes has been Will at the news desk during a broadcast. There's been some bits of it here and there but nothing quite like what went on the first season. I'm hoping to see him take the desk and sort of elaborate on his "American Taliban" stand with the Tea Party to "try" to maybe mend fences, reclaim some rep.
Old July 26 2013, 04:47 PM   #75
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Well, I really like this show. I like WW better, but this one will do.

As a former Republican, now an independent/libertarian, I wouldn't actually consider Will a Republican. I wouldn't even consider him an old-school "Reagan Republican". There's no one thing that I can put my finger on, just the way his dialog has been written in the past season-and-some-change. IMO, he's being written more as a liberal claiming to be a Repulican, who's too embarrassed to really be called a Democrat because the other Democrats he's surrounded himself with are WAY too left for his taste. Maybe it's that most New York Republicans I've ever met would be considered Democrats everywhere else in the country (with the possible exceptions of Massachusetts and various locales on the "left coast"), or maybe it's that he's a Republican trying to work with and compromise with everyone else in the newsroom who appear to be very left-leaning in general and his own personal message sometimes gets a bit muddled. Don't really know, but there does sometimes feel like mixed messages there. That's the best way I can describe it, anyway.

I still enjoy the writing, and it's quite good overall. I just wish the Jim/Maggie thing would kind of go away, but that's just me.
I did enjoy his quip about "Why don't you ever ask someone how they could be a Democrat?"... I agree with you to a certain extent... I'm a pretty moderate Republican with definite conservative leanings on the fiscal side of things, so I can kind of relate to Will's character...

The people who took over the idea of the Tea Party and transformed it into some kind of Christian crusade are not true Republicans, but I disagree with Will that they are "American Taliban."... A better equivalent would be the ELF or half of the people here in Santa Fe... LOL..