RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,737
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 1108
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 17 2013, 08:06 PM   #46
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: And now The Newsroom....

I agree, the episode was good, but nothing to really comment on.

The relationship crap needs to end, I'm sick of people with no chemistry trying to force some.
Old July 17 2013, 08:35 PM   #47
Count Zero
Guess who's back

I thought it was great. I preferred the bombastic theme from last season but maybe that's just a question of getting used to the new one.

The way the episode and by extension pretty much the whole season is structured is quite ambitious. It isn't easy to tell a story well with flashes from the past. It also requires some patience from the audience and isn't as accessible to new viewers.

Will's talk with the lawywers was hilarious and made me laugh out loud a couple of times. I can imagine what happened to Maggie but I'm still eager to find out. Loved Mac's thoughtful comments at the end. I also want to know how Jim will fare on the Romney campaign trail. And of course, what Genoa is. Come to think of it, this episode was really full of content. Can't wait for next week.
Old July 17 2013, 09:04 PM   #48
Warped9
Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
The relationship crap needs to end, I'm sick of people with no chemistry trying to force some.
Yep, my least favoured part of the show.
Old July 17 2013, 09:46 PM   #49
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Sorkin said it's a romantic comedy (I like to think of it as a romantic dramedy) so the relationship stuff is kind of integral to the show in his mind, and he's writing it. I don't see it vanishung anytime soon, if ever.
Old July 17 2013, 09:57 PM   #50
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The new producer guy was Matthew on the new adventures of Christine who had one of the best lines from a sitcom in the last 5 years.. A ridiculously attractive and controlling blond woman was his new flatmate: "Hey! You can't tell me what to do unless you're going to sleep with me... Are you going to sleep with me? No? Well, then you can't tell me what to do!"

The lad has unexpected depth.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 10:35 PM   #51
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
Sorkin said it's a romantic comedy (I like to think of it as a romantic dramedy) so the relationship stuff is kind of integral to the show in his mind, and he's writing it. I don't see it vanishung anytime soon, if ever.

Let me rephrase.

I hate the relationship between crazy new hair woman and the guy who left to work the Romney trail. They have no chemistry, they should never be together.

The other characters I don't mind the flirting, more so because it feels a little more cut back.
Old July 17 2013, 11:15 PM   #52
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Allison always looks like she came back from a sleepover where someone shaved her eyebrows off.

Old July 18 2013, 12:53 AM   #53
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

The show was still great - but am I the only person who hates that new intro? I mean, ok, maybe the visuals in the first season into didn't quite match up with the tone of the show, but the music was beautiful. Now we've got some kind of piano tapping cover version? Ew.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 01:28 AM   #54
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
The show was still great - but am I the only person who hates that new intro? I mean, ok, maybe the visuals in the first season into didn't quite match up with the tone of the show, but the music was beautiful. Now we've got some kind of piano tapping cover version? Ew.
I thought I was crazy, but yes I miss the old music.
Old July 18 2013, 04:22 AM   #55
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Same. I don't care for the new intro at all.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2013, 04:24 AM   #56
Warped9
Admiral

The season premiere was just okay. It didn't suck, but it didn't really grab me either. Hopefully it'll get better.

List me as another who thought the new intro music was flat and unmoving.
Old July 18 2013, 05:16 AM   #57
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The new intro leaves me cold.

Old July 18 2013, 05:55 AM   #58
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Because the music was written to be important sounding, and the new sequence is people reading things, hitting buttons on switchboards, spilling coffee, texting, etc. The old sequence reveled in its pomp and circumstance and this feels almost timid in comparison. If it were cut down to 20 seconds it could work, but for a minute+ it just doesn't have any 'umph'.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old July 18 2013, 06:23 AM   #59
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

We don't need no stinking intro.

Old July 18 2013, 09:18 AM   #60
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

HBO does proper opening credits. I quite like them in most cases. Unfortunately, in this particular instance we had something better to compare them with.