Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 13 2013, 10:46 PM   #16
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: And now The Newsroom....

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
63 days and 48 minutes till the next episode.

You might want scrounge up the episode of the Daily Show where one of their reporters wandered onto the set of the News Room thinking it was real and has a very confusing conversation with Bull Pullman and Emily Mortimer.
You know The Daily Show is a comedy program right?
It's called acting. He even had a monologue prepared.
The US Navy would receive thousands of letters every week from devoted fans, highlighting clues from the program Gilligan's Island about where Gilligan's Island was, so that the Navy could go rescue them.

I was actually wondering that about Colbert. Are there people out there, the hillbillies who believe in Wrestling maybe, who think that Stephen is sincere... Julie Andrews unprepared the alien environment didn't actually figure out that the show was a farce till half way through her interview last month. It was hilarious when she asked if Stephen was a real person.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 01:29 AM   #17
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The Republican leadership years ago had to point out to their Congress-people that he is a fake republican and not to go on Steven Cobert's show.

People are stupid.

I don't believe anything I see on TV, including the "news", makes life much easier.
Old May 14 2013, 05:30 AM   #18
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
One of the smaller part actresses actually was working at MSNBC when Sorkin was doing his reaserch. He talked her into leaving her job there and taking the job on Newsroom as an actress and writing consultant.

Rumor is that Sorkin brought in several republican speech writers/bloggers/political consultants into the writing room to better balance out the republican/conservative characters which many in the audiance after season one felt weren't portrayed correctly and were coming off as "too democrat/liberal".
Will isn't really a big-R Republican though, he is a conservative. He is what, 50-55ish? So he came to his political identity in the 70s and 80s. The party has changed a lot in that time and he didn't follow their lead.

Will is a man of science(facts), logic, and compassion. His political beliefs and actions have to be consistent with that or he will lose the sympathy of the audience. The fact that he calls himself a conservative and yet feels left behind by 'his' party that has run off the rails pandering to a few key demographics is part of the drama.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 02:19 PM   #19
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The fact that he calls himself a conservative and yet feels left behind by 'his' party that has run off the rails pandering to a few key demographics is part of the drama.
The problem is that it's really poorly presented on the show because, based off of what we've seen, Will is not really a conservative. On almost every issue that the show has addressed, from gay marriage to gun control, from social security to free-market economics, Will has not expressed traditional conservative points of view. The sole conservative value he was shown to hold is that he's pro-life, and that was a single line thrown out there in an episode about an entirely different subject. In the same episode he revealed that the reason he is a Republican is that he grew up in a rural area where everyone is a Republican and that's all he knew. I hate the overuse of the RINO label as much as anyone, but Will really does come across as a Republican in name only.

Let's be honest here, the reason why Will is a Republican is that Aaron Sorkin wanted to go after the Tea Party and he felt that having the main character be a Republican would act as a shield from the potential criticism of the show's liberal leanings. But he did a really poor job of portraying Will as a conservative, it's one of the leading criticisms of the show, and it's a good sign that Sorkin is trying to address that in season 2.
Old May 14 2013, 02:41 PM   #20
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's impossible to to create a sane character with accurately Republican virtues

I say this as a dirty foreigner looking in from the outside.

Old May 14 2013, 03:09 PM   #21
Australis
Writer

Sorkin isn't as even with his female characters as he thinks he is. CJ was great, so was Mrs Bartlett and Mrs Landingham, but McKenzie McHale (really? Someone would name their kid that?) is so neurotic, obsessing stupidly over McAvoy, that it gets in the way.

Still, I love the show, and I punched the air on the line "The Tea Party is the American Taliban" Having watched Bachmann's performance in the last few days, damn straight!
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 04:35 PM   #22
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
The fact that he calls himself a conservative and yet feels left behind by 'his' party that has run off the rails pandering to a few key demographics is part of the drama.
The problem is that it's really poorly presented on the show because, based off of what we've seen, Will is not really a conservative. On almost every issue that the show has addressed, from gay marriage to gun control, from social security to free-market economics, Will has not expressed traditional conservative points of view. The sole conservative value he was shown to hold is that he's pro-life, and that was a single line thrown out there in an episode about an entirely different subject. In the same episode he revealed that the reason he is a Republican is that he grew up in a rural area where everyone is a Republican and that's all he knew. I hate the overuse of the RINO label as much as anyone, but Will really does come across as a Republican in name only.

Let's be honest here, the reason why Will is a Republican is that Aaron Sorkin wanted to go after the Tea Party and he felt that having the main character be a Republican would act as a shield from the potential criticism of the show's liberal leanings. But he did a really poor job of portraying Will as a conservative, it's one of the leading criticisms of the show, and it's a good sign that Sorkin is trying to address that in season 2.
I think the show hasn't touched on a number of issues. The first, is the role of government in our lives. The second is the role of business in our lives. He hasn't gone into debates about "truther-ism" or touched Obamacare.

The show has talked about the TEA Party, and if they are really true conservatives. And while it may have not gotten much media coverage, there is a struggle within the Republican ranks over the role of the TEA Party. That was touched on.

It's common sense to ask "why weren't the rigs inspected" in the first episode. And if he's not aligned with the TEA Party, then he wouldn't be for ending worker's rights.

As for Mackenzie, I think the beginning of the show shows her to be the idealist. She is the one who is pushing Will. And as the series progresses, she becomes more unraveled because of her feelings for Will. That's a mistake and why I want them to resolve this issue fast in Season 2. It's robbing us from seeing her as a strong female character. At first, she was. Until she sent that email. She's the one who is in charge.
Old May 14 2013, 06:09 PM   #23
Gaith
Rear Admiral

When will Aaron just go back to writing fact-based (albeit highly subjective) movies?!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 06:15 PM   #24
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Many new age Republicans are for gay marriage, actual fair taxes, government that serves the people when needed.

The thing is the crazy assholes get in the way of that, but that's another topic. But Sorkin can't really write for Republicans too well. They sometimes come off OK, but normally they don't feel like real people.
Old May 14 2013, 10:28 PM   #25
foxhot
Fleet Captain

He's a good enough writer, so there's no real reason he couldn't write for any political characters. The question is whether both sides and viewpoints will get the occasional upper hand. That's what drama should be.

I can't wait for the IRS episode.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 12:20 AM   #26
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

He finds it difficult to comprehend how the opposing point of view exists.

It's good vs. evil to Sorkin.

The problem is the republicans and democrats (who survive) will both commit to the beliefs which their polling instructs them to, so it really doesn't mean anything "real" to be a republican or a democrat. The parties evolve to cater to the beliefs of the mob they feed off. If the parties ignore evolution and stick to their manifesto if it's in conflict with their base, no mater how many months, years or decades old that manifesto is, they will fail.

In truth it's not good vs. evil, it's bland vs. bland.

Old May 15 2013, 08:15 AM   #27
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Some characteristics have to be tailored to the audience in order to make him sympathetic though. Vinick on The West Wing worked so well because he was an 'old school' moderate Republican from a liberal state and you could really see moderate and even some liberal people wanting to vote for him. Hell, I actually wanted him to win.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 09:11 AM   #28
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

He should have won.

That would have been a fantastic ending.

Camelot has fallen.

Old May 15 2013, 10:03 AM   #29
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Not only did I want Vinnick to win, I wanted to watch a couple of seasons of Vinnick's The West Wing.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 10:12 AM   #30
MacLeod
Admiral

Well it might have been nice to see a season or more of The West Wing, with the Santos Administration.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote