Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 11 2013, 04:25 PM   #1
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

are the original series blu rays any good?

Hi i just have a quick question. I have been watching the next generation blu rays and they look great but i was wondering if the same good treatment was done to the original series blu rays and not like the terrible star trek movie transferrs?
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 05:08 PM   #2
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: are the original series blu rays any good?

If you're asking if the blu ray's are significantly better than the pre-blu ray DVD's, I'd say no. There is a incremental improvement in the quality yes, but it isn't the different between night and day.

It's a matter of nuance.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 05:15 PM   #3
NewHorizon
Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
If you're asking if the blu ray's are significantly better than the pre-blu ray DVD's, I'd say no. There is a incremental improvement in the quality yes, but it isn't the different between night and day.

It's a matter of nuance.

No, they're asking if the hi def transfers were cleaned up as well as TNG, rather than how poorly Paramount scanned the movies.

The answer is yes, the TOS transfers look fantastic. The blurays allow you to choose the original effects or the CGI effects. It's a win for purists and those who want modern CGI.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 05:16 PM   #4
ConRefit79
Captain

I didn't have the DVD versions, so I cannot compare. But I bought the Blu-Ray version when they were cheaper. I like them, but have not seen the series with the unmodified effects. But the newer effects work well. The only problem I'm trying to resolve, is how to stop my Blu-Ray player from displaying angle messages when it switches to the modified effects scenes.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 05:32 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
I didn't have the DVD versions, so I cannot compare. But I bought the Blu-Ray version when they were cheaper. I like them, but have not seen the series with the unmodified effects. But the newer effects work well. The only problem I'm trying to resolve, is how to stop my Blu-Ray player from displaying angle messages when it switches to the modified effects scenes.
I have two players and one use to do that and then it quit doing it on its own.
Old May 11 2013, 07:19 PM   #6
feek61
Captain

I have had the TOS series in just about every format it was ever released in. IMO, yes, the blu-rays are amazing. You can't go wrong with them and you can pick them up for just over a hundred bucks. It's a no-brainer; get them.
Old May 12 2013, 01:56 AM   #7
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Yes, the TOS blu rays are beautiful--you see just well that series was produced. I had TOS tapes, laserdiscs, and DVDs, and none come close to the revealing quality of the series on blu ray.
Old May 12 2013, 02:20 AM   #8
mach7
Commander

I have TOS on the 2 episode disks and the Bluray packs.

I'll echo what others have said, the Bluray is worth the money.

As said you get both the enhanced and original effects. Also some nice extras.
mach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 02:52 AM   #9
22 Stars
Commodore

It's a matter of nuance.

Is this a joke? Comparing the bluray res to the dvd's is not even fair. It's a matter of math, not really subjective.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 03:42 AM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Is this a joke? Comparing the bluray res to the dvd's is not even fair. It's a matter of math, not really subjective.
This.

Though there are some really shitty Blu-ray's out there.

Star Trek on Blu-ray is absolutely worth the price and blows the DVD's out of the water.
Old May 12 2013, 01:41 PM   #11
Destructor
Commodore

The detail on the blu-rays is pretty insane. I love em.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 01:47 PM   #12
M
Vice Admiral

If you're asking if the blu ray's are significantly better than the pre-blu ray DVD's, I'd say no.
I'm really sorry, but there must be something wrong with your eyes then, as the picture quality of the live-action footage is actually significantly better than the SD material on the DVDs. It really is the difference between night and day.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Irishman
Fleet Captain

tmosler wrote: View Post
Hi i just have a quick question. I have been watching the next generation blu rays and they look great but i was wondering if the same good treatment was done to the original series blu rays and not like the terrible star trek movie transferrs?
Resolution will see a bump (but not tremendous), and the shots will be inconsistent, as cameras vary (and some are less sharp and grainy than others - when the source is in less-than-stellar shape there's only so much that can be done to extract detail from it). Color depth will improve - simply because the number of colors present in blu-ray far exceeds that in a DVD or streaming HD (if you've seen the TOS-R episodes on Netflix or Hulu+). Audio? For the most part, it's cleaned and levelled. That's about it. They rescored some of the themes and incidental music, but it's a mono track. Only so much.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Harvey
Admiral

The picture quality is quite a bit better, but not the revelation that the TNG Blu-Rays are, since the TOS DVDs weren't so bad to begin with. They are much, much better than the DNR'd movie transfers, though.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 03:56 AM   #15
Mr_Homn
Captain

M wrote: View Post
If you're asking if the blu ray's are significantly better than the pre-blu ray DVD's, I'd say no.
I'm really sorry, but there must be something wrong with your eyes then, as the picture quality of the live-action footage is actually significantly better than the SD material on the DVDs. It really is the difference between night and day.
100 percent agreed.

Anyone who says otherwise needs their eyes checked.