RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,711
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 525
Newest member: fanficfan

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 17 2013, 09:50 AM   #121
Metryq
Captain

Re: "The Alternative Factor" - Why is it so universally hated?

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
Does any other episode of any other series have it's equivalent of The Alternative Factor?
Some series are all "Alternative Factor" with brief moments of "sane Lazarus." (Also known as the "Critic's Corollary.")
Old October 17 2013, 01:12 PM   #122
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

This was the episode which, as a kid, made me feel stupid because I just couldn't follow it. It's reassuring to learn after all these years that were were all equally dumb!
It's not us who are dumb [looks at episode]....
Old October 17 2013, 06:28 PM   #123
MakeshiftPython
Captain

It's not only poorly written, directed, and acted, it's just plain BORING. Other notoriously bad episodes like "Spock's Brain" were at least entertaining on an absurd level. "The Alternative Factor" is just flat out dull with nothing really standing out. It's the worst kind of bad, a forgettable kind of bad.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2013, 06:48 PM   #124
Melakon
Vice Admiral

. . .Think how different the episode would feel if Lazarus had been played by...oh I don't know, John Feidler, or Jeff Corey or someone. (actually, I can picture Jeff Corey pulling it off)

If Lazarus had been some sort of colorful alien, something like an Ambassador Petri-type character, we'd have a Lost In Space episode on our hands! . . .
Which gets me to thinking about someone else who should have done a Star Trek but never did. . .Albert Salmi. Veteran of The Twilight Zone, countless bad guys in westerns, and even a space pirate on Lost in Space.

He'd even been in The Brothers Karamazov along with Shatner.
Old October 18 2013, 02:34 AM   #125
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

It's the kind of episode that you nod off during the first time that you watch it. You think it's not making sense because you missed something, so you make a point of watching it again while fully awake...and realize that it made more sense when you were half-asleep.
Old October 18 2013, 02:47 AM   #126
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

The Dead Mixer wrote: View Post
It's the kind of episode that you nod off during the first time that you watch it. You think it's not making sense because you missed something, so you make a point of watching it again while fully awake...and realize that it made more sense when you were half-asleep.
Which reminds me of something to caution you all on: do not watch this episode if you're in bed running a temperature. I did once, and it only enhanced the sense of delirium!!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:25 AM   #127
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Sorry to double-post, but it occurred to me that it would be interesting to see one of those fan productions (i.e. Star Trek Continues) to remake The Alternative Factor, trying to get it to make sense this time!
Old October 18 2013, 04:37 AM   #128
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I love this episode! The guest star's performance is so over the top ... Even the wrap-up by Shatner, at the end, is strangely overacted - even for Shatner!
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 07:00 AM   #129
SignGuyHPW
Lieutenant

I think it's so universally hated just because it keeps contradicting itself. Star Trek fans can normally accept things as long as they are somewhat established in the Star Trek universe. When an episode goes against what they've established then it makes it hard for the fans to accept it. It's one thing for continuity errors going from season one episodes to season five or whatever, but to have them happen in a single episode makes it hard to follow.
SignGuyHPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 07:03 AM   #130
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I may have first seen it in syndication, because I was sure at the time some important scene had been cut out. But surprise, surprise, surprise, it wasn't.
Old October 18 2013, 08:22 AM   #131
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

SignGuyHPW wrote: View Post
I think it's so universally hated just because it keeps contradicting itself. Star Trek fans can normally accept things as long as they are somewhat established in the Star Trek universe. When an episode goes against what they've established then it makes it hard for the fans to accept it. It's one thing for continuity errors going from season one episodes to season five or whatever, but to have them happen in a single episode makes it hard to follow.
What established lore in Star Trek did it contradict?
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 04:00 PM   #132
Christopher
Writer

The Umbrella Corporation wrote: View Post
What established lore in Star Trek did it contradict?
"Mudd's Women" established that (di)lithium crystals channel ship's power, while "The Naked Time" established that matter-antimatter reactions are the source of the ship's power. Virtually all later Trek has followed these principles. But "The Alternative Factor" claimed that dilithium was itself the ship's power source and that a matter-antimatter reaction would destroy the entire universe.

But I believe the contradictions mentioned above were those within the episode itself. Sometimes the dimensional shift is felt across the universe, but at other times it happens without anyone noticing. Sometimes Lazarus has to be at the rift site on the planet surface to switch with his other self, but sometimes it happens on the ship.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2013, 11:26 PM   #133
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Does anyone happen to know how TV Guide in the old days hawked this episode? You know, the old "Due to a malfunction in the transporter, Kirk is split into two beings, one meek, the other violently animalistic." blurbs.
Old October 18 2013, 11:35 PM   #134
Christopher
Writer

^I don't know if this is the original blurb, but the description on TV Guide's website now is:

Kirk's investigation of an energy force takes him to a planet where he encounters Lazarus (Robert Brown), who is actually two people---one sane, one insane---from parallel universes. Barstow: Richard Derr. Lt. Charlene Master: Janet McLaghien [sic]. Kirk: William Shatner. Spock: Leonard Nimoy. Uhura: Nichelle Nichols.
http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/star-...-factor/100408

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2013, 12:38 AM   #135
alchemist
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I don't know if this is the original blurb, but the description on TV Guide's website now is:

Kirk's investigation of an energy force takes him to a planet where he encounters Lazarus (Robert Brown), who is actually two people---one sane, one insane---from parallel universes. Barstow: Richard Derr. Lt. Charlene Master: Janet McLaghien [sic]. Kirk: William Shatner. Spock: Leonard Nimoy. Uhura: Nichelle Nichols.
http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/star-...-factor/100408
The original 1967 TV Guide blurb:
Kirk investigates an energy force that may be a prelude to the destruction of the universe. The mystery unravels on an uncharted planet where Kirk encounters a puzzling creature who might be linked to the phenomenon. Kirk: William Shatner. Spock: Leonard Nimoy. McCoy: DeForest Kelley. (60 min.)
Guest Cast
Lazarus....Robert Brown
Charlene Masters....Janet MacLachlan