Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 12 2013, 09:57 PM   #31
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: International box office thread

USSPhilippi wrote: View Post
Good news, but, source please?
Also here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ar-trek-521402

wjaspers wrote: View Post
A 3rd film will be made, no doubt. Only thing I no get, why you need a 3rd (bad) film ?
You are in the minority that thinks the first two are "bad".

People to go see STID, no talking fans, are people to go see an action movie they saw in the trailers, they no care ST and never will.
Don't bet on it! After "Star Trek (2009)", Paramount reported a big upswing in sales of Star Trek DVD boxed sets. What really took them by surprise is that it was all "Star Trek" boxed sets: the previous movie collections, plus TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT!

For me, I got into fandom because of ST:TMP, a movie most fans were eager to tell me was a terrible film. Three decades later, it's still my favourite film, but my interest in all Star Trek has never really waned.

New fans are born in many ways. When ST speaks to a newbie fan, it may be through a single comic, novel, action figure, RPG, movie or TV episode. Or JJ's films!

No matter what money the movies will make, it will be the end of the franchise for real.
What? How?

No way they can do these action packed scenes for a series, and for a TV serie in this new universe without this action, they will not have the fans anymore.
My $0,02
Why? Are fans suddenly going to start hating all "Star Trek"?

Last edited by Therin of Andor; May 13 2013 at 08:35 AM. Reason: more
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:10 PM   #32
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

I think above 200m would be great, but approaching 300m would be fantastic.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:13 PM   #33
MacLeod
Admiral

Well if the US$13.3m is accurate for the UK it would go straight in at number 10 for the yearly box office.

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/uk/yearly/
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:43 PM   #34
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

All in all, it seems to be on the way to being a box office success . Btw Therin of Andor, what exactly is 'DS8' .
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 10:50 PM   #35
Devon
Fleet Captain

A 3rd film will be made, no doubt. Only thing I no get, why you need a 3rd (bad) film ?
People to go see STID, no talking fans, are people to go see an action movie they saw in the trailers, they no care ST and never will.
No matter what money the movies will make, it will be the end of the franchise for real. No way they can do these action packed scenes for a series, and for a TV serie in this new universe without this action, they will not have the fans anymore.
Oh, oh, you almost forgot to say something about Gene Roddenberry's Vision™*, ruining Star Trek, and philosophies and messages too!
Old May 12 2013, 11:07 PM   #36
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Phily B wrote: View Post
I think above 200m would be great, but approaching 300m would be fantastic.
I think $200 million is a realistic goal now though I feel it will fall short of the $300 million mark in the US Box Office so fall short of $500 worldwide but who knows
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:13 AM   #37
Flake
Commodore

I think the goal should be $400m worldwide now. I have been revising my guess downward for weeks because it is becoming increasingly clear IMO that this movie will not increase a great deal from the last one, if at all.

If we get an extra $80m from overseas, I think we are going to lose $30-50m from NA because of increased competition.

I know it sounds a bit negative but I would rather lower my expectations and be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 12:20 AM   #38
Phily B
Fleet Captain

It's possible that being sandwiched between IM3 and FF6 will affect it, but that didn't really happen last time and I'm not sure the audiences are similar.
Old May 13 2013, 01:07 AM   #39
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

These days sequels to successful, well-liked films that launch or relaunch a franchise usually see a substantial increase in worldwide box office when the sequel is released. That should be especially true for this film given the big push Paramount is giving it abroad to increase foreign box office. $400 million worldwide is a pessimistic prediction and a result Paramount would be at least somewhat disappointed with. $500 million is what they're likely hoping for given the budget level and how the last film performed, and the film has a good chance of reaching that goal.
Old May 13 2013, 01:21 AM   #40
indranee
Vice Admiral

The U.K. led with $13.3 million from 556 locations, 50 percent better than the 2009 reboot. Into Darkness also dominated the market in Germany, grossing $7.6 million from 627 locations, 80 percent better. Australia took in $5.5 million from 263 locations, followed by Mexico with $3 million from 573 locations.
Not looking too bad, but I think the domestic will be the main take this time.
Trek will always have a bigger haul domestically, no matter what. Unless, of course, they get Michael Bay to direct the next one.

(Yes, forget I said that)
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 01:23 AM   #41
Phily B
Fleet Captain

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
These days sequels to successful, well-liked films that launch or relaunch a franchise usually see a substantial increase in worldwide box office when the sequel is released. That should be especially true for this film given the big push Paramount is giving it abroad to increase foreign box office. $400 million worldwide is a pessimistic prediction and a result Paramount would be at least somewhat disappointed with. $500 million is what they're likely hoping for given the budget level and how the last film performed, and the film has a good chance of reaching that goal.
400m would be disappointing, but 450m-500m would be decent enough especially since Trek 2009 had very strong blu ray sales.
Old May 13 2013, 01:26 AM   #42
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The domestic/foreign split should be a lot closer for this film than for any previous Trek film. It'll probably make more domestic than foreign, but there's a chance it could be the first Trek film where the reverse happens.

400m would be disappointing, but 450m-500m would be decent enough especially since Trek 2009 had very strong blu ray sales.
450m would be fine, especially considering the strength of the franchise domestically (domestic box office being more valuable to the studio given the bigger cut they get from it as compared to foreign box office). $500m is likely the level where they're really happy, as opposed to happy enough.
Old May 13 2013, 01:36 AM   #43
indranee
Vice Admiral

No matter what money the movies will make, it will be the end of the franchise for real. No way they can do these action packed scenes for a series, and for a TV serie in this new universe without this action, they will not have the fans anymore.
My $0,02
I disagree. if and when that times comes that the studio wants to do a tv show again, I think they can easily find a way to marry the traditional Trek qualities and the explosive action of today's TV needs successfully. Plenty of tv shows now do it... why not Trek? Heck, DS9 did it back in the 90s and it didn't even have a good/wide enough syndication...

My only demand as a fan would be to get rid of the Orci/Kurtzman duo and bring in someone like Joss Whedon. Can Joss Whedon and JJ partner on a Trek TV show? The very thought is giving me the goddamned shivers!
Old May 13 2013, 01:40 AM   #44
Dream
Admiral

The International box office increased.

I have a gut feeling Domestic box office will increase too. STXI was under the radar and many people caught it on video when it was released. These type of franchisee tend to grow with their second movies.

Also after Iron Man 3, people might be looking for another Sci-Fi action fix.
Old May 13 2013, 01:57 AM   #45
indranee
Vice Admiral

Hi Dream

agreed re ST09 being an almost sleeper hit with the dvd/bluray market. I now have plenty of girlfriends/work colleagues who watched that on dvd and cable and want to watch this one in the theater.