New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 12 2013, 06:41 PM   #16
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: International box office thread

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Advertising has been very very poor in the uk. I have been seeing more ads for fast and furious and I remember when oblivion came out that had much more adverts than Star Trek. Still, it has done very well even without the advertising I suppose.
I disagree I've seen more adverts for ST:ITD than for "The Fast and Furious". So perhaps it's more down to where you live and what TV channels you watch.
Yes, me too. Definitely seen a higher frequency of STID advertising.
Old May 12 2013, 06:56 PM   #17
Jax
Admiral

70% increase, if that holds with other markets (excluding US) then we are looking at a good oversea figure.

Star Trek Into Darkness earned $31.7 million in seven foreign markets, which was 70% higher than the overseas debuts four years ago for Star Trek in those specific markets, boding well for a stronger overseas total than the first film’s somewhat weak $127.9 million foreign haul

The U.K. is the biggest market on the list, where the sci-fi film grossed $13.3 million in 556 locations.
Good start indeed
Old May 12 2013, 07:00 PM   #18
Flake
Commodore

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Advertising has been very very poor in the uk. I have been seeing more ads for fast and furious and I remember when oblivion came out that had much more adverts than Star Trek. Still, it has done very well even without the advertising I suppose.
I disagree I've seen more adverts for ST:ITD than for "The Fast and Furious". So perhaps it's more down to where you live and what TV channels you watch.
Yes, me too. Definitely seen a higher frequency of STID advertising.
Well thats good to hear then

I wonder if the last opening weekend only 3 days were counted? I cant remember what day Trek opened on last time. if it was only opened on Friday then its not too much better really.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:05 PM   #19
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
70% increase, if that holds with other markets (excluding US) then we are looking at a good oversea figure.

Star Trek Into Darkness began its overseas roll-out over the weekend, grossing $31.7 million in seven markets.

The combined figures from these territories are almost 70% better than the results of 2009's Star Trek in the same territories. The U.K. is the biggest market on the list, where the sci-fi film grossed $13.3 million in 556 locations.
Good start indeed
70% Wow that's way higher than I was expecting.
Old May 12 2013, 07:10 PM   #20
USSPhilippi
Lieutenant Commander

View USSPhilippi's Twitter Profile

Jax wrote: View Post

Star Trek Into Darkness earned $31.7 million in seven foreign markets, which was 70% higher than the overseas debuts four years ago for Star Trek in those specific markets, boding well for a stronger overseas total than the first film’s somewhat weak $127.9 million foreign haul

The U.K. is the biggest market on the list, where the sci-fi film grossed $13.3 million in 556 locations.
Good start indeed
Good news, but, source please?

For Thou lovest all things that are, and hatest none of the things which Thou hast made: for Thou didst not appoint, or make any thing hating it. Wisdom 11:25, Douay-Rheims Bible
USSPhilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:13 PM   #21
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...to-31-million/
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:14 PM   #22
Jax
Admiral

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news...es-949-million
Old May 12 2013, 07:17 PM   #23
USSPhilippi
Lieutenant Commander

View USSPhilippi's Twitter Profile

Thanks Jax. I got the initial info from their Facebook page, hadn't checked their main website until a couple of minutes ago.

For Thou lovest all things that are, and hatest none of the things which Thou hast made: for Thou didst not appoint, or make any thing hating it. Wisdom 11:25, Douay-Rheims Bible
USSPhilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 07:18 PM   #24
RAMA
Vice Admiral

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...x-office-91006
Old May 12 2013, 08:29 PM   #25
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

I'm no analyst or expert, but this movie seems like it could very well crack $500m. The last Trek made $385,494,555 world-wide, and this one, by all accounts, seems to be doing much better over seas, at least early on. It has a lot more hype here in the USA anyway, since there are ads everywhere, and the actors have been appearing on just about every talk-show. I just hope it makes enough for a third movie .
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 08:58 PM   #26
MacLeod
Admiral

Given the budget increase. I think a taking of US$450 would ensure a third film.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 09:40 PM   #27
wjaspers
Lieutenant Commander

A 3rd film will be made, no doubt. Only thing I no get, why you need a 3rd (bad) film ?
People to go see STID, no talking fans, are people to go see an action movie they saw in the trailers, they no care ST and never will.
No matter what money the movies will make, it will be the end of the franchise for real. No way they can do these action packed scenes for a series, and for a TV serie in this new universe without this action, they will not have the fans anymore.
My $0,02
wjaspers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 09:43 PM   #28
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

Well, I have not seen the new one yet (It opens here next week) But i I did really enjoy the 09 movie It's not my fav Trek film, but it is enjoyable, and it is cool to see the universe and characters and creatures re-imagined with more modern effects and a bigger budget.
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 09:48 PM   #29
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

From Box Office Mojo:

A week ahead of its U.S. opening, Star Trek Into Darkness opened to $31.7 million from seven foreign markets this weekend. According to Paramount, the movie was up an average of 70 percent on its predecessor across those markets; while that sounds great, it's worth noting that the first Star Trek only earned $128 million overseas. The movie's top market was the U.K. with $13.3 million (up 50 percent), and it was also great in Germany ($7.6 million, up 80 percent), and Australia (up 50 percent).

One major highlight for Star Trek Into Darkness: in markets where Star Trek hasn't been a particularly strong brand—Mexico, New Zealand, Austria—the movie was up 250 percent from its predecessor. Extrapolate that in to expanding markets like Russia (May 16th), China (May 28th) and Brazil (June 14th), and Star Trek Into Darkness could be on course for a foreign total north of $300 million.
Old May 12 2013, 09:54 PM   #30
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

OK, it seems I was possibly being way too pessimistic, which is great news!