Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 12 2013, 05:02 PM   #1
USSPhilippi
Lieutenant Commander

View USSPhilippi's Twitter Profile
International box office thread

BoxOffice.com reports on Into Darkness' international opening .... $31.7 million from 7 markets.

https://www.facebook.com/boxoffice/p...43459262359159

You can see this post even if you are not logged into Facebook ... I just tested it.

For Thou lovest all things that are, and hatest none of the things which Thou hast made: for Thou didst not appoint, or make any thing hating it. Wisdom 11:25, Douay-Rheims Bible
USSPhilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: International box office thread

The U.K. led with $13.3 million from 556 locations, 50 percent better than the 2009 reboot. Into Darkness also dominated the market in Germany, grossing $7.6 million from 627 locations, 80 percent better. Australia took in $5.5 million from 263 locations, followed by Mexico with $3 million from 573 locations.
Not looking too bad, but I think the domestic will be the main take this time.
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:11 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I've only seen a couple of commercials on TV for Into Darkness, and when I saw it at midday on the 9th in 2D, there were a grand total of 14 other people watching.

Last night BBC2 buried Trek with "The Star Trek Story", a documentry from 1998 which depicted Trek fans and even actors as freaks and curiousities. I don't think the film is gonna do very well here.
Old May 12 2013, 05:18 PM   #4
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

I don't know. The cinema I went to was totally packed.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Phily B
Fleet Captain

King Daniel wrote: View Post
I've only seen a couple of commercials on TV for Into Darkness, and when I saw it at midday on the 9th in 2D, there were a grand total of 14 other people watching.

Last night BBC2 buried Trek with "The Star Trek Story", a documentry from 1998 which depicted Trek fans and even actors as freaks and curiousities. I don't think the film is gonna do very well here.
Most people are at work! The midnight showing, and evening showings were sold out here. 50% better than ST09 is good, especially considering it did relatively well in the UK.
Old May 12 2013, 05:33 PM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Phily B wrote: View Post
Most people are at work!
VERY good point. But, dammit, it's Star Trek! Everyone should take the day off!
The midnight showing, and evening showings were sold out here. 50% better than ST09 is good, especially considering it did relatively well in the UK.
I really hope so.
Old May 12 2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Phily B
Fleet Captain

I went to the mid-day showing and there were about 20-30 people? I didn't really count, but most were blatantly Trekkies

I think that OS will be disappointing again, but much better than 09. Not sure what affect on a possible sequel that would have.
Old May 12 2013, 05:46 PM   #8
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

I won't worry about a sequel at this point. I'm just happy they made a film I think is awesome, and I'm hoping many other people will feel this way about it, too.
Old May 12 2013, 05:56 PM   #9
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

it was relatively quiet when i went on 9th but when i went again on Saturday it was much busier. surprisingly high female and family turnout actually
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 06:03 PM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

Phily B wrote: View Post
The U.K. led with $13.3 million from 556 locations, 50 percent better than the 2009 reboot. Into Darkness also dominated the market in Germany, grossing $7.6 million from 627 locations, 80 percent better. Australia took in $5.5 million from 263 locations, followed by Mexico with $3 million from 573 locations.
Not looking too bad, but I think the domestic will be the main take this time.

Well US$13.3m in the UK represents about a third of what the 09 film took (US$35.4m). But then again the UK accounted for about 28% of the non USA/Canada takings.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Flake
Commodore

Advertising has been very very poor in the uk. I have been seeing more ads for fast and furious and I remember when oblivion came out that had much more adverts than Star Trek. Still, it has done very well even without the advertising I suppose.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 06:22 PM   #12
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

The German market has been drowned with advertising. People are curious about it. Regular people, not fans. This is good news.

Also, two of the people I went to the cinema with were only there for Cumberbatch, but hey, as long as people go see it, I don't care why.
Old May 12 2013, 06:28 PM   #13
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Hmm, I'm certainly no expert, but based on this - I have a gut feeling STID won't now cross the $500m line worldwide. I think it'll do well - somewhere in the mid to late $400m's, but I think Paramount may be slightly disappointed overall.

Believe me, I really hope I'm proven to be wildly inaccurate here - nothing would please me more.
Old May 12 2013, 06:33 PM   #14
Phily B
Fleet Captain

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Hmm, I'm certainly no expert, but based on this - I have a gut feeling STID won't now cross the $500m line worldwide. I think it'll do well - somewhere in the mid to late $400m's, but I think Paramount may be slightly disappointed overall.

Believe me, I really hope I'm proven to be wildly inaccurate here - nothing would please me more.
We'll have to wait and see, but 500m would be a great number to hit I think. The early numbers are generally being seen as very good from sites I've read.
Old May 12 2013, 06:36 PM   #15
MacLeod
Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
Advertising has been very very poor in the uk. I have been seeing more ads for fast and furious and I remember when oblivion came out that had much more adverts than Star Trek. Still, it has done very well even without the advertising I suppose.
I disagree I've seen more adverts for ST:ITD than for "The Fast and Furious". So perhaps it's more down to where you live and what TV channels you watch.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote