Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 23 2013, 12:15 AM   #31
I am not Spock
Commodore

Re: are the original series blu rays any good?

Is it worth getting the TOS-R Blu Rays if you already have the TOS-R DVDs? Is the improvement that much more noticeable?

I have all 6 of the Star Trek series on DVD (including TAS), and all the movies so far on DVD, and also on Blu ray. I got TNG season three again, on Blu, just to see how much better it was, and man, TNG looks so great in high definition.

To those who say old movies can't look great on Bluray, i have the Bond 50 box set, and those early Connery films look incredible in high definition
Old May 23 2013, 03:25 AM   #32
SpHeRe31459
Captain

I personally find the Blu-ray discs totally worth it. If you have a good sized HDTV and value seeing all the detail they extracted from the original 35mm film the Blu-ray sets are worth it, if you can find them for a good price.

The other plus depending on how you feel about the 2006 CG stuff is that the Blu-ray sets have the original visual effects included and can be toggled back and forth with the updated versions.

Otherwise, the DVDs are very good and of course are from the same masters so they have the same excellent color saturation, etc. from the remastering.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 03:30 PM   #33
Robert Comsol
Commodore

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
Otherwise, the DVDs are very good and of course are from the same masters so they have the same excellent color saturation, etc. from the remastering.
Of course? I was under the impression that this wasn't entirely certain.
Where I do have doubts is the color saturation. MPEG's data compression usually resulted in less color fidelity for a DVD opposite to a rather full-bandwidth Blu-ray disc.

However, I can't shake the suspicion that during the remastering for HD (and DVD) some original colors got altered and I noticed it, I think, by accidentally comparing my old LaserDisc footage from "Journey to Babel" with the footage from the Blu-ray ("Gav is dead" scene). There was one shot where the colors of a background door were noticably different (something like green versus blue).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 09:26 PM   #34
SpHeRe31459
Captain

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Of course? I was under the impression that this wasn't entirely certain.
Where I do have doubts is the color saturation. MPEG's data compression usually resulted in less color fidelity for a DVD opposite to a rather full-bandwidth Blu-ray disc.
Sure there the BDs would be a bit better in that regard. But really, they come from the same re-mastered source, so it's almost picking nits. You're confusing things, both formats store color information at 4:2:0 chroma sampling. What you might be thinking of is the slightly expanded color space that HD formats use, Rec 709, over SD's Rec 601.

The main reason to get the BDs is for the pure resolution increase, giving you a really clear image of the scans the remastering team did of the 35mm film.

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
However, I can't shake the suspicion that during the remastering for HD (and DVD) some original colors got altered and I noticed it, I think, by accidentally comparing my old LaserDisc footage from "Journey to Babel" with the footage from the Blu-ray ("Gav is dead" scene). There was one shot where the colors of a background door were noticably different (something like green versus blue).
The same background colors looking different happened with other episodes. The one that comes to mind is Where No Man Has Gone Before. The sickbay scenes used to look very pale, kind of beige, it turns out the walls were actually greenish, either via a color gel light flooding the walls or they were actually a light green before being repainted when the series was picked up.

You're thinking about it the wrong way. They didn't change anything per-say. We've been watching really old beat up copies of the episodes since at least the '80s VHS tape releases, if not longer.

They pulled the film out of the Paramount archives and had it re-scanned from scratch. It revealed a whole new level of information that was there back in the '60s but had been aged out by generational losses of the film being copied and eventually transferred to video, etc.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2013, 07:57 PM   #35
Thor Odinson
Rear Admiral

KarmicCurse wrote: View Post
Each season is $45 at Best Buy this week.
Pick up all three seasons last night at Best Buy. They were still on sale plus I had a Best Buy gift card. After watching a few episodes, I would say they are worth it.
Old May 28 2013, 06:10 AM   #36
KarmicCurse
Lieutenant

So the Okuda commentaries are not carried over to the blu-rays? I thought all the special features from previous DVDs were on the blu-rays. I'm disappointed. I never bought the DVDs. What else was on previous editions that are not on the blu-rays?
KarmicCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2013, 06:21 AM   #37
Tommunist
Lieutenant Commander

For the Blu-ray release of TOS, the film grain has been upgraded to Quadrotriticale...
Tommunist is offline   Reply With Quote