Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 21 2013, 02:57 PM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: RoboCop: The Series

Lance wrote: View Post
Which DVD set have you got? Mine is a PAL Australian release, so it's probably only the PAL distributors who've made the mistake when authoring the sets, accidentally presenting the two episodes the wrong way around. Doh!
Mine is, I believe, the Canadian release, which is inexplicably mistitled RoboCop: The Beginning.

As you say, having now watched "Officer Missing", I agree it is clearly 'Part 1' of a two-parter that is concluded in "What Money Can't Buy", as it features the same family with the sick kid. It also sheds more light on why the Chairman is kind of swinging behind the kid's recovery in "WMCB" (namely, the chance of securing the patent).
Well, it's more than that. "Officer Missing" is basically about Robo and Diana pulling a Christmas Carol gambit on the Chairman, showing him the error of his Scroogelike ways. The Chairman is a product of the "greed is good" corporate culture that spawned OCP, to be sure, but he's basically decent and has a compassionate side, even if it's sometimes blinded by his pursuit of profit and his isolation from the ordinary people who pay the price for OCP's policies. I liked the relationship between him and RoboCop. The Chairman is one of the few people in this continuity who knows that Robo is Alex Murphy, and one of the only people aware of Diana's existence, so he's a confidante for both of them, sometimes an ally, albeit sometimes an unwitting adversary. I liked how "Officer Missing" established the relationship among them.

Christopher, are there any other multiple-part storylines later in the series I should watch out for? Just in case my DVD set has got them the wrong way around as well? Of course I have a preference to watch the episodes in the correct order if I can.
No, there are no more 2-parters, although there are some character threads that develop over non-consecutive episodes. Here's the episode order for the rest of the series:

6. Ghosts of War
7. Zone Five
8. Provision 22
9. Faces of Eve
10. When Justice Fails
11. The Human Factor
12. Inside Crime
13. Robocop vs Commander Cash
14. Illusions
15. Tin Man
16. Sisters in Crime
17. Heartbreakers
18. Mothers Day
19. Nano
20. Corporate Raiders
21. Midnight Minus One
22. Public Enemies

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2013, 03:38 PM   #32
Lance
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Lance wrote: View Post
Which DVD set have you got? Mine is a PAL Australian release, so it's probably only the PAL distributors who've made the mistake when authoring the sets, accidentally presenting the two episodes the wrong way around. Doh!
Mine is, I believe, the Canadian release, which is inexplicably mistitled RoboCop: The Beginning.
That is a strange change of title. Mine is labelled RoboCop: The Series, but at least yours has got the episodes in the right order.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Christopher, are there any other multiple-part storylines later in the series I should watch out for? Just in case my DVD set has got them the wrong way around as well? Of course I have a preference to watch the episodes in the correct order if I can.
No, there are no more 2-parters, although there are some character threads that develop over non-consecutive episodes. Here's the episode order for the rest of the series:

6. Ghosts of War
7. Zone Five
8. Provision 22
9. Faces of Eve
10. When Justice Fails
11. The Human Factor
12. Inside Crime
13. Robocop vs Commander Cash
14. Illusions
15. Tin Man
16. Sisters in Crime
17. Heartbreakers
18. Mothers Day
19. Nano
20. Corporate Raiders
21. Midnight Minus One
22. Public Enemies
Cheers Christopher, I'll check that list against the order they're presented on my Aussie DVD set, to ensure that I am viewing them in the correct order from now on.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 01:29 AM   #33
Lance
Commodore

6. "Ghosts Of War"

Thought this one was a very strong episode. Vietnam war allegory, the raw vets of the 'Amazon Conflict' are being used for nefarious purposes. An obvious storyline in a way, but very well told here. I thought it was terrific the way 'Combat Bill' was in actuality Frank Uno, one of Murphy's old childhood friends, and the flashbacks really hit an emotional nerve for me in this one.

The continuity nods to the Amazonian conflict were nice. This is one of the few little pieces of continuity that was carried through a few of the original movies, so it's very nice to see it being used as the basis for a story here.

It seems to me Diana is pretty exposed security-wise. Is it really helpful that the computer which literally controls everything in this future Detroit can seemingly be shut down so relatively easy? What happens if there is some kind of naturally occuring power failure? I can't help but wonder what kinds of fail-safes there are to protect the system (especially the living person within it!). I don't know, I could be missing something. It seemed a little too easy to throw her into shut-down mode here. Felt like artificial danger. Mind you, the gang have presumably got all sorts of high-tech they stole from the OCP warehouse at the beginning, so it could be that there was a piece of dialogue I missed which covered this.

For those who feel the series has toned down violence, the Commander Cash skit in this one ought to be a real eye-opener: an advert for a children's toy gun, complete with an exploding Bag O' Guts which is depicted quite viscerally. Mind, I suppose it is technically "cartoon violence"...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2013, 04:19 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

^Yup. Like I said, the cartoon segments were where the show was able to cut loose with the Verhoeven-style parodic ultraviolence, since it was just a cartoon and thus could get past the censors.

I don't remember enough specifics to address the point about MetroNet/Diana's security. But in general, a lot of fictional crises would never happen if proper security or safety protocols were in place. It's just one of the accepted breaks from reality in fiction.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote