RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 422
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 11 2013, 10:46 PM   #16
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Marvel's Avengers Assemble animated series discussion

Dream wrote: View Post
So if Carol joins the team, will she called Ms Marvel or Captain Marvel on this show?
Ms. Captain.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2013, 04:52 AM   #17
JD
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Looking good. Interestingly it appears to be after some point in time when the Avengers have disbanded. It obviously looks quite inspired by the movie with the members, not at all like a sequel to EMH.
I've heard it claimed that it's in continuity with EMH, but this trailer makes that seem unlikely. EMH's Falcon was very different from this guy, a more serious, tough character voiced by Fringe's Lance Reddick. I'm wondering if it might relate to EMH the way Spider-Man Unlimited related to its predecessor animated series back in the '90s -- ambiguous about its relationship to the previous show so that it gives the impression of a connection at first but is really a distinct continuity.

For what it's worth, I gather the characters have the same voices they had in Ultimate Spider-Man (at least for those who've appeared there), which raises the question of whether it's in continuity with that.

I can't remember if it was official or not, but I do remember reading somewhere that is in continuity with USM, and maybe with Hulk & The Agents of S.M.A.S.H. I'm not sure about Hulk &...., but I'm almost positive they did say USM.
Old May 21 2013, 07:31 AM   #18
Dream
Admiral

First episode of Avengers Assemble for free on iTunes

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-seaso...39?i=647992758
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 07:29 PM   #19
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

And here's a new trailer:

Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 08:19 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

They could not be more blatantly trying to copy the movie, could they? I saw an earlier preview that had more direct imitations of moments from the movie (or approximate imitations, like Hulk flicking Hawkeye across the room in much the casual way he punched Thor in the film). It doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this show will offer anything original or fresh.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 02:42 AM   #21
JD
Admiral

I watched the trailer earlier and I couldn't judge to much from it. It didn't look to bad to me. I'll probably check out the free episode tomorrow.
Old May 26 2013, 05:39 PM   #22
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Well I saw the first two episodes, it looks like it will be good.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2013, 07:50 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

Well, it's not actually bad, but I'm not entirely sold on it. It's definitely in the Ultimate Spider-Man universe (unofficially called Earth-TRN123, apparently) -- the same voice cast for the shared characters, the same look, even a J. Jonah Jameson cameo -- but is taking a relatively more serious tone, and is heavily, heavily derivative of the movie, right down to copying the film's Stark Tower design so exactly that I think they just took the same computer model and applied a more cartoony texture to its rendering. And yet it also features the same Avengers Mansion seen in Earth's Mightiest Heroes, or something very close to it in design.

It feels like it's trying to set itself up in a way that it could pass to the casual viewer as a sequel to either EMH or the movie. The Avengers existed before but have broken up, and now Stark brings together the same team from the movie. But it becomes clear that the team spent more time together here than they did in the film, plus Hulk is a lot more talkative. And it doesn't fit the EMH continuity either, because the Falcon is a very different character, and because Iron Man has no history of leading the team in this version. I think I'd prefer it if it were more forthright about defining its own distinct reality, rather than trying to be this generic.

And there's a big logic hole in the central premise. Okay, so Iron Man takes on the leadership role he's ill-suited for once Cap apparently dies, and struggles to become worthy of that role. But they get Cap back before the first episode is over! Why not just pass leadership back to him? This is never addressed or justified. It just feels like Iron Man had to be in charge because he's the top dog in the Cinematic Universe, regardless of whether it made any in-story sense.

I'm not sure how I feel about the "let's all be roomies" premise. That has the potential to degenerate into reality-show-like hijinks, and isn't that what they're also planning to do with Hulk: Agents of SMASH, only even more blatantly?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 06:00 AM   #24
Technobuilder
Commodore

So I just finished watching Marvel's Avengers Assemble: "The Avengers Protocol - Part 1" and to be completely honest, I wanted to turn it off at least twice before the end of the episode. Not sure I'm going to watch Part 2 now.

This show is just so... It's just sub-par.
In no way does it come close to the bar set by Avengers: EMH

I'm still bummed about that cancellation just to launch this "New" take on the Avengers in a shared universe with the Ultimate Spider-Man show (which I also don't care for) but whatever.

Green Lantern
was good despite what I expected.
Young Justice was Excellent
Avengers EMH also Excellent with a nice retro/modern appreciation of comic lore thrown in.

Least I've still got Legend of Korra to look forward to.

Not sure there's anything else out there at the moment that tries to approach these sorts of characters in at least a halfway reasonable/realistic way now, save for Korra.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 06:19 PM   #25
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I watched the first episode, and it sucked. I barely got through it. The story was annoying, the edits (like making the screen super widescreen and stuff like that) almost made me scream by the end, and overall it just sucked. EMH was a good show, this is just bad. I'm not going to waste my time with it.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 10:00 PM   #26
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I couldn't get through the first episode either. The animation looked decent, but the rest just felt like generic action cartoon stuff.

I also don't see the point in using the team from the movie if you're just going to give them a bunch of generic cartoon personalities. I would have loved to have seen Ruffalo's more bemused and low-key Banner in this, or Evan's and Hemsworth much more human and likeable Cap and Thor. Hell, even Renner's grittier Hawkeye would have been kind of fun to see in a cartoon.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 03:18 AM   #27
Mr Light
Admiral

Having watched the pilot... I'll watch the series but I enjoyed EMH much, much more...

Even the animation looked cheaper than EMH! Ult Spidey looks much better than this does.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 03:20 AM   #28
JD
Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I watched the first episode, and it sucked. I barely got through it. The story was annoying, the edits (like making the screen super widescreen and stuff like that) almost made me scream by the end, and overall it just sucked. EMH was a good show, this is just bad. I'm not going to waste my time with it.
Damn, now I have to check this out. If hated it this much, then it's probably going to be one of my favorite shows.
Old May 30 2013, 05:34 AM   #29
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I really could've done without Hawkeye making jokes about the Hulk's bad breath and body odor.
Old May 30 2013, 05:01 PM   #30
TemporalFlux
Commodore

I really don't have a long review of this, and it doesn't need one. This new Avengers toon is bland. I felt nothing while watching it; I may as well have been watching E!.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote