Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old May 10 2013, 05:28 PM   #76
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: Nibiru

ConRefit79 wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
We should just look to places like Africa and see what all our colonization and evangelization efforts resulted in. And we still interfere everywhere because we haven't learned one bit.
No, we never seem to learn. Even within our own countries, people try to interfere in other peoples lives because they think they know best.
But there is a definite difference between going into a country and forcing your religion on them or exploiting them for your gain and delivering truly humanitarian aid with no strings attached. The PD doesn't seem to recognize those nuances.
On Earth, if people in a certain area of the world are starving, or suffer from annual floods they can't control, is it interference with the natural development of their culture to send them food, or to have international engineers come in to build a dam to stem the floods? And in doing so, is it interference if the natives see great pieces of mechanical equipment doing things that they never could've imagined, before? What if they hear Kerry Underwood music coming from an engineer's iPhone? What if the natives start wanting iPhones of their own? What if they become adicted to Angry Birds? What unintended effects will all this have on their culture? Better to let them starve or drown?

Last edited by Franklin; May 10 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old May 10 2013, 05:32 PM   #77
Kane_Steel
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Who SHOULD Cumberbatch have played?

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
No.

He should have played exactly who he played.
Why?

There seems to be a lot of mixed reactions about his suitability for Khan, and rehashing TWOK elements in an inferior manner.
Old May 10 2013, 05:34 PM   #78
Borgminister

Mudd.
Old May 10 2013, 05:38 PM   #79
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Borg King Khan

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
Old May 10 2013, 05:40 PM   #80
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

The title itself is almost a spoiler.
This board really is a minefield at the moment.
Old May 10 2013, 05:41 PM   #81
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

As I said when the first rumours cropped up, he'll be a different Khan but a fantastic one. And he was.

I actually preferred Khanberbatch to Montelkhan.
Old May 10 2013, 05:43 PM   #82
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

King Daniel wrote: View Post
I actually preferred Khanberbatch to Montelkhan.
Oh boy the puns are back!
Old May 10 2013, 05:45 PM   #83
Paul Weaver
Fleet Captain

Re: Feeling dejected *spoilers*

Mal wrote: View Post
Sadly, I don't think anyone else in the (mostly empty) theater was a fan, cause no one else seemed the least bit bothered.

I wonder which will suffer greater infamy in the long run: Darth Vader's Noooooooooo! or Quinto's Khaaaaaaan!
I winced at "Khaaannn". Perhaps I should have yelled "AAAABRRAAAMMMMSSSSS!" at the time.

Oooh it's tempting to go again...

I clapped (silently) at Nimoy though

As for numbers seeing it -- I saw it in 2D Thursday afternoon at my local theatre. It was on in 2D 14 times, and 3D 21 times, during the day. I took about the 5th showing of the 2D at 15:00, so I wouldn't expect a crowded screen. I believe most people's jobs aren't as flexible as mine
Old May 10 2013, 05:47 PM   #84
Tom Servo
Commodore

Now, I want to preface this by saying I haven't seen the film yet, I will next week when it hits the states of course. But is the reason that people are complaining about the Khannn moment in this film, is because the Khannnn moment in TWOK, has essentially in the world of pop culture now, become kind of a joke? I've known about the plot for end of the film for a few weeks, and while it took a few minutes to digest, I feel like if it works within the context of the film in a vacuum, then I will have no problem with that. The people I have seen who dislike the scene, are people who know TWOK, and know the original ending. From others who have seen it, and aren't huge Trek fans, they seem to have no issue. I'll wait judge the filmmakers on the scene until I have watched the film, and whether it was a good scene or not. I'm just putting the question out there of, are people upset because it's bad filmmaking WITHIN THE CONTEXT OF THIS FILM, or is it because they don't like the harkening back to TWOK?

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old May 10 2013, 05:50 PM   #85
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

In an homage to TAS, he should have played the genetically engineered human scientist Stavos Keniclius, the "master" to a batch of sentient alien cucumbers (a "Cumberbatch," if you will), who have lost their gourd and are trying to impose peace on the galaxy with an army of augment clones.

M. Night Shyamalan says that movies about hostile plants traditionally dominate at the box office and are always highly critically acclaimed.
Old May 10 2013, 05:52 PM   #86
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Re: directors cut of into darkness

beamMe wrote: View Post
Rushed?
It felt kind of rushed to me. They ran from one plot point to the next so fast as if the movie happened in real time. There was no sense of time passing between the important scenes. That's probably why the trip to Kronos felt like minutes. Khan did not have enough time to build up the suspense surrounding his character, he didn't have enough time to play with Kirk and Spock. And once Admiral Marcus had been found out, he got killed. And so on ... in a way, this movie is the exact opposite of TMP.
Old May 10 2013, 05:55 PM   #87
Q2UnME
Commodore

Re: directors cut of into darkness

Isn't the version you see in the theater the "directors cut"?

Q2

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Old May 10 2013, 06:02 PM   #88
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

So. This is just a remake of a movie I saw thirty years ago? The best movie of the Trek series, and one that definitely didn't need to be remade?

Am no longer in a hurry to see this.
Old May 10 2013, 06:12 PM   #89
Tuvok
Lieutenant

Gary Mitchell.

One who was never befriended by Kirk. Weaponised by Section 31 to increase his powers to include bio-feeback for strength and heightened senses.

A Gary Mitchell who feels the Universe screaming in his head that something is wrong and he doesn't know what. Only knowing that the Federation is not strong enough to face something in the dark reaches of space ( Borg? Pai Waiths? the Dominion Etc) and is desperate to make it ready through a trail of fire ( ie war with the klingons, romulans anything to make the Federation more battle ready)
Old May 10 2013, 06:18 PM   #90
Flake
Commodore

They awoke Khan because Section 31 wanted someone to develop weapons? This was a WTF moment for me. Did I hear that right? Also 300 years old means he was exiled in 1959? Should've said 200 years.

Agreed that Khan should not have made an appearance. Should've been a different exile. Maybe one called John Harrison? We could've got a glimpse of Montalban in a tube or something.

The TWOK ripoff moments did not sit well with me, I feel that if I had not seen TWOK it would have been fine. I could only think about how it's already been done much better before and it did not or should not be done again. I couldn't wait for the whole sequence to be over! Insane decision by the scriptwriters who are clearly insane anyway

Need to see the movie again ASAP. Perhaps it will be better on the second viewing.
Closed Thread