RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 696
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 13 2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Reeborg
Lieutenant Commander

Incompatible Brothers

Dr. Soong underlines that the Androids are 100% identical in hardware and have only a "slight" difference in programming. Then when Lore gets the emotion chip suddenly "those circuits" were NOT compatible to him and only properly working with Data. I find that "odd".
Reeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Charles Phipps
Commander

Re: Incompatible Brothers

I assumed it was a software issue not a hardware one given the emotion chip isn't giving him skin or endorphins, but presumably simulating emotions in a positronic brain.
Old June 13 2013, 11:09 AM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

I would say it could have been a software issue as well. Or there might be some minor changes in design so that Lore and Data are 99.9% identical in design and construction.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Pavonis
Commodore

It's hard to believe that Lore needed an emotions chip. He always seemed much more emotional than Data, even in his first appearance. I wouldn't be surprised if Data's emotion chip combined with Lore's proto-emotions would lead to a crazier Lore. And what do you know - it did. In his next appearance, he turned Data into an addict and turned a bunch of loose Borg into a cult.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

It would make sense that the chip was incompatible with Lore due to software issues because Lore already had emotions. By plugging Data's emotion upgrade into his own neural net, it made Lore go from psychopath to megalomaniac/psychopath. In essence, the programming glitches introduced by two sets of emotional subroutines gave him craziness along with his normal state of evil.
Kevman7987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 04:47 AM   #6
Mojochi
Fleet Captain

Reeborg wrote: View Post
Dr. Soong underlines that the Androids are 100% identical in hardware and have only a "slight" difference in programming. Then when Lore gets the emotion chip suddenly "those circuits" were NOT compatible to him and only properly working with Data. I find that "odd".
A slight difference in programming that created a maniac vs a well adjusted being

I too echo the sentiment that Lore's programming was simply not designed to additionally have Data's emotion chip programming together. Obviously the tech was compatible. Data & Lore are compatible with almost all the tech we ever see on the show. Riker hooks his head up to the warp core in Disaster, for god sake

The concern was that Lore was not programmed to have Data's emotion programming. He already had some kind of oversight in his own, that Soong never got around to fixing, because he thought him inactive. Sadly, I suspect he could have helped Lore, but the result of combining the emotion programs was that he murdered Soong, which seemed even too much malice for Lore himself earlier in the episode when he showed distress at the idea of Soong dying.

I always felt the original problem with Lore was that he was made "Too Good". He had better strength than a person, & better intelligence, & at least the way I see it in Spiner's performance, his emotions are stronger than a Human's too. He is carried away by them. Thus why he can be mad a Soong one minute & then in a flash, be distressed to find out Soong is dying. He's overly emotional on a dangerous scale

This is why I don't hate "Descent" as much as most people, because even though it might be a paltry development for the Borg, it was a fairly crafty evolution of Lore, post-emotion chip. It turned him from just a overly emotional genius into a ruthless megalomaniac, hellbent on ruling the Galaxy, & with Data under his control, I believe he could have succeeded
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander

Obviously Lore was running on Windows 8 while Data was on Windows 7.

Or something.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 06:04 AM   #8
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Lt. Uhura-Brown wrote: View Post

Or something.
Which means B4 must have been running on Windows Me.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Lt. Uhura-Brown
Lieutenant Commander

jimbotron wrote: View Post

Or something.
Or Vista.
Lt. Uhura-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 01:35 PM   #10
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Also in Time's Arrow they could tell it wasn't Lore because Data had an 'L type brain'.

I think the problem with Lore is that Soong tried to program more realistic emotional behavior.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post

Or something.
Or Vista.
Lore was on Vista with it's compatibility issues, Data on the more stable Win7 and B4 definitely on the trainwreck that was Me
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 02:05 AM   #12
FormerLurker
Captain

No, B4 was using 3.1.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Charles Phipps
Commander

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Also in Time's Arrow they could tell it wasn't Lore because Data had an 'L type brain'.

I think the problem with Lore is that Soong tried to program more realistic emotional behavior.
Given we've seen how holograms can be created with perfect human emotions and ambitions (moriarty), it strikes me that its probably not difficult to "scan a human brain and make a duplicate of emotions." It's just that Soong's positronic brain/android body makes a figure more inclined to be like Khan or the Augments.

Supermans rarely have humility or compassion. Data without emotions gave him time to adjust to ethics.