RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,658
Members: 24,813
Currently online: 412
Newest member: SB118_Pavlova

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 16 2013, 03:21 PM   #106
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: Spock's line *Major Major Spoilers*

Yup, most people when I went to see it were tearing up at Kirk's death and didn't laugh or deride 'the line' at all, they all took it seriously.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:02 PM   #107
imranbecks
Lieutenant Commander

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
imranbecks wrote: View Post
Now that I remember, Spocks "Khan" scream didn't really have echoes in it as his scream was followed by the USS Vengeance crashing down to earth and narrowly missing the Enterprise by what looked like inches!
That bit made me jump it was so close
And all this time, I actually thought the ship shown crashing in the water in the trailers was the Enterprise... It turned out to be the Vengeance....

Kirk would've died in vain though if the Enterprise did crash due to a collision with a falling Vengeance...
imranbecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 04:39 PM   #108
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Saw the film (fantastic by the way) and I saw the line: All right I didn't like it, I thought it was kinda silly, but not for the reason you may think, no, it was silly because of Zach Quinto's voice. I expected a growl and a roar, not the kinda wimpy, weak voice we got.
Old May 16 2013, 05:50 PM   #109
Anika Hanson
Captain

I appreciate the nods to us older fans but most of the time it just cheapens it. I mean when nu spock says '' The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one'' it had none of the depth, was nowhere near as poiniant as when prime spock said it.
Old May 16 2013, 05:56 PM   #110
Seska
Lieutenant

I totally giggled when it happened, like just about everybody else in the packed theater. Let's face it, though. It's not really the same line unless it echoes repeatedly in the bowels of Regula. And speaking of Regula, how and why does Carol Marcus speak with an accent? That's the real mystery to me.
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:01 PM   #111
Tom Servo
Commodore

I must ask, and this is as someone who loves the TWOK and that scene, to those in the theater in 1982, how was the Khannnnnn moment received? Was it supposed to be a fuck ya clap your hands this is great moment? Or was it received in a way where people were completely focused on the drama. If you really think about that scene, it's pretty strange, especially when it's echoing out into space. That's why it's probably such a tongue in cheek joke now.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:15 PM   #112
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

I thought it worked well. Yeah, a bit cheesy, but here's the thing. Spock is the strong, silent type. Seeing Kirk die right in front of him, filled him with anger and determination to go and get Khan. Yelling a little helped demonstrate how angry he was becoming.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:16 PM   #113
trekker670
Fleet Captain

My absolutely only complaint with this movie are the scenes that mirror Space Seed or TWOK. It's a great movie and IMHO I think it would have been better if they kept everything as it, but made Harrison someone other than Khan.

Even if you just give him another name and left him as an augment, they could have still contacted Spock prime, just generalize to augment and then Spock prime could still warn against the augments and pay tribute to Khan. They could have even thrown in a reference to Erik Soong from Enterprise.

I was actually okay with the engineering death scene for the most part too, but make it less of a rip off of TWOK. Just eliminate the screen, or at least do it at a point that makes more sense and isn't seen coming from a mile away.

I left the theater disappointed, I wanted to love the film, but felt like I was cheated, because as soon as we knew about Harrison's blood about 75% of the rest of the film was given away.

That said, I want to repeat that I like the movie in general, but I'm going back to see it again in hopes that I'll enjoy it more now that I'm not expecting a completely original storyline.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:41 PM   #114
robau
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Spocks line *Major Major Spoilers*

Admiral Buzzkill wrote: View Post
I mean, in a couple of years they'll have Cameron's second Avatar film to diss and dismiss as it goes on to become the most successful movie in history.
There's gonna be a second one? WHY?
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:43 PM   #115
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

robau wrote: View Post
I mean, in a couple of years they'll have Cameron's second Avatar film to diss and dismiss as it goes on to become the most successful movie in history.
Actually 3, the sequels are filming back to back and coming out 6 months apart.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:48 PM   #116
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Because people all over the world liked it so much that it became the most successful film in history.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:09 PM   #117
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I once commented that I couldn't see Pine pulling off the yell and well, Quinto pulled it off pretty well to me. What turned me off more than anything was Kirk's resurrection because superhuman DNA can cure death by radiation poisoning. It just took any substance out of the scene and cheapened it. Once again the reset button was pushed.
Old May 16 2013, 10:28 PM   #118
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

R. Star wrote: View Post
I once commented that I couldn't see Pine pulling off the yell and well, Quinto pulled it off pretty well to me. What turned me off more than anything was Kirk's resurrection because superhuman DNA can cure death by radiation poisoning. It just took any substance out of the scene and cheapened it. Once again the reset button was pushed.
Cheapened it a ton! Leave him dead for at least the end of a flick. Then, I guess you have to do some kaatra bs in movie 3. I really thought he would die for a while. Whatever. Just a brief detour. I also thought Chekov might bite the big one b/c of red shirt. Speaking of which, Scotty doesn't have an associate chief to take over?
Old May 16 2013, 10:51 PM   #119
Mr_Homn
Captain

Because people all over the world liked it so much that it became the most successful film in history.
Not the most successful when you adjust for inflation and modern ticket prices. It's in the top 20 though.
Old May 16 2013, 11:12 PM   #120
slappy
Commodore

It really was weird and unnecessary. People laughed and it wasn't a scene you were supposed to laugh at.

slappy is offline   Reply With Quote