The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

May-June 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 30

Ross To Attend Trek Convention
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 16 2013, 06:13 AM   #91
Destructor
Commodore

Re: Spock's line *Major Major Spoilers*

I was annoyed it didn't echo through space the way Kirk's scream did. Er... did it?
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 08:10 AM   #92
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain

Honestly, this was the part of the film I was worried about from other people's responses. At my theater, however, no one really laughed or did anything. All I noticed was that some folks gasped, knowing how mad Spock was at that point.
Old May 16 2013, 08:40 AM   #93
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Destructor wrote: View Post
I was annoyed it didn't echo through space the way Kirk's scream did. Er... did it?
No. But it has echoed through history so you may have mistaken that for space.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:41 AM   #94
J. Allen
Equine Sophist Simulacrum

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Eh, I loved that scene. That whole scene was terrific, IMO.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:28 AM   #95
imranbecks
Lieutenant Commander

It did take me out of the moment for a while, but I think it was well executed. I didn't see it coming to be honest.... And I'm pretty sure Quinto had to do plenty of takes to get that "Khan!!!!!" scream right...
imranbecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:29 AM   #96
J. Allen
Equine Sophist Simulacrum

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

imranbecks wrote: View Post
It did take me out of the moment for a while, but I think it was well executed. I didn't see it coming to be honest.... And I'm pretty sure Quinto had to do plenty of takes to get that "Khan!!!!!" scream right...
I think what made me like it so much was the juxtaposition of characters, and it made for a nice change. I realize some find it hammy, but the original TWOK line was hammy. I feel this was well in line with that, at the very least, and accepted it for what it was.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 11:38 AM   #97
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

On my second viewing, it didn't bother me at all. My problem was that I didn't think Spock should be blaming Khan, but Admiral Marcus. I'd somehow missed that Khan attacked the crippled Enterprise, damaging the core and sending them plummeting to Earth.

I think if Spock had instead gone into an ice cold rage it would have been terrifying, but I'm fine with what they did.
Old May 16 2013, 12:00 PM   #98
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

I have to admit that it took me out of the movie for a moment, and a few folks in the theater laughed. I do agree though that the line used in this context makes more sense than Kirk screaming it in TWOK. What was he so mad about, anyway? Yeah, Khan was taunting him about leaving him there on Genesis to die...but Kirk had a plan all along to get back to the Enterprise (days instead of hours...) so he really had no reason to be pissed. Spock, on the other hand...plenty of reason. He'd just lost 2 captains in the span of a few days, both of them his friends. Also keep in mind that while Vulcans repress their emotions, they actually feel them much more strongly than even humans...so in their unrestrained form they would likely be very intense. I have a feeling it'll be less jarring on a repeated viewing.
Old May 16 2013, 01:51 PM   #99
Captain59
Fleet Captain

The problem for me is we don't have an 15-year attachment to these actors playing these characters--including Kahn--to make it as dramatic as they wanted it to be. Not only was the magic of the original three because of the way the stories were written and how the actors portrayed them, but the time we have known them. We have only known these actors playing these characters for three years. To try to remotely mirror the effect of the original actors, even in 1982, just doesn't work.

And Flux make a good point. Prime Kahn hated Prime Kirk for 15 years and wanted to completely destroy him. His actions boiled over to Kirk hating Kahn, and hence we have the great TWOK. But this Kirk and Kahn knew each other for a couple of days and most of that time they were more-or-less co-workers. Spock was involved even less. I understand what they were trying to do, but I just don't think it worked. It's didn't ruin the movie for me by any stretch of the imagination, but it wasn't one of the stronger parts.

(As an aside, it's interesting that in TWOK, Shatner and Montalban never worked together. In this movie, Pine and Cumberbatch were in a lot of scenes together.)

R.I.P. Kellie Waymire
Captain59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:18 PM   #100
imranbecks
Lieutenant Commander

Now that I remember, Spocks "Khan" scream didn't really have echoes in it as his scream was followed by the USS Vengeance crashing down to earth and narrowly missing the Enterprise by what looked like inches!
imranbecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:45 PM   #101
Kpnuts
Commodore

imranbecks wrote: View Post
Now that I remember, Spocks "Khan" scream didn't really have echoes in it as his scream was followed by the USS Vengeance crashing down to earth and narrowly missing the Enterprise by what looked like inches!
That bit made me jump it was so close
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:53 PM   #102
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I laughed at "Kha-a-a-a-n!" because I enjoyed it.

I don't have any difficulty feeling the same empathy for these guys I did for the old guys in 1982 - hell, most decent movies with any emotional content that I see feature characters that I've never seen before and never will see again. Besides, it's still Kirk and Spock.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:08 PM   #103
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

It's funny because I had teary eyes with Kirk's death and then at the same time I had a smile from ear to ear when Spock yelled KHAAAAAAAAN.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 03:15 PM   #104
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

It was over the top. Even for a Vulcan with emotion problems. Honestly, it was over the top when Mr. Shatner did it. OTOH I really liked Pine's anguish over losing his father figure. People sob in real life, and in Trek when there's loss, it is often very muted, like Shatner's "Klingon bastards. . ." which seemed too muted for the loss of a son. Although I Shatner he was aiming for "stunned."

YMMV

Edit: WOW: just read this upstream:

"The problem for me is we don't have an 15-year attachment to these actors playing these characters--including Kahn--to make it as dramatic as they wanted it to be. Not only was the magic of the original three because of the way the stories were written and how the actors portrayed them, but the time we have known them. We have only known these actors playing these characters for three years. To try to remotely mirror the effect of the original actors, even in 1982, just doesn't work." - Captain 59

I thought that last night as I left the theater. Man, I LOVE those characters and actors who were my childhood friends and heroes. These current ones? Not so much. Spock dying in 1982 was AWFUL. Then MY Enterprise in '84! Plus you didn't know Spock was coming back, in TWOK. WAY more dramatic than last night.

[I thought they might let Pine die at the end for cool storytelling (nope!) and go "Searching" for him next movie.]
Old May 16 2013, 03:21 PM   #105
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
It's funny because I had teary eyes with Kirk's death and then at the same time I had a smile from ear to ear when Spock yelled KHAAAAAAAAN.
Yeah.

I know I've told this story too often but on opening night of TWOK in '82, when Irradiated Spock gives Kirk the IDIC hand sign through the glass, my friend leaned over to me and said "Live Long And Phosphor." I completely broke up laughing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote