Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 9 2013, 09:12 PM   #1
mredom
Lieutenant Commander

Thought just ocurred to me

And please, feel free to shout this down as the stupidest idea ever. I haven't yet seen the new movie. I will, on opening night. I have a hunch that the plot from the next movie will in fact tie into this movie, but...

The Enterprise is well into it's five year mission, when they detect waves of temporal distortion emanating from a planet: yes we're going to find the Guardian of Forever, total fanwank, I know. This time however, Kirk and Spock are met with a dilemma. The two most formative events within this timeline never occured within the prime timeline, the death of George Kirk, and the destruction of Vulcan. They realize that they may be able to change these circumstances saving not only Kirk's father, but Spock's mother, and the entire planet of Vulcan in the process.

The ethical conundrum ensues with the conflict of not only whether they should act to change their own history, but in their knowledge of the "black ops" arm of starfleet, whether they should reveal the location of this device to the Federation.

It's just a germ, and a fanwank one at that, but I think there could be a plot there. And it wouldn't involve a "villain" bent on destroying our heroes, but on decisions they make in order for their timeline to continue.

Go ahead-tell me it's fanwank crap that would make a terrible movie (I already kind of think it) or is there something there that might work?
mredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Garak
Eyeliner hides the sleepless nights

Re: Thought just ocurred to me

I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than watch that.

Although I will say I dig the idea of not having a "villain" in the next movie.
Old May 10 2013, 01:22 AM   #3
mredom
Lieutenant Commander

and THAT ladies and gentlemen, is why I'm a high school band director and not a screenwriter. Just throwing things out (or up as it would seem, as in vomit)

mredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 02:24 AM   #4
Chrono85
Lieutenant Commander

View Chrono85's Twitter Profile

You have some good ideas. I like the idea of the plot being set around a moral dilemma, and perhaps with no real central villain. I'm not sure I'd want time travel in the movie though, since we just had that in the 09 Trek. I'd rather it focus more on space travel .
Chrono85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 02:38 AM   #5
Tiberius
Commodore

Time travel sucks when the characters have control over it. When they don't have control, then it works better.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 04:56 AM   #6
Third Nacelle
Captain

And in the very last scene we get a shot of the new cast on the old Enterprise?

I like some of this. I think it's time for a movie without a comicbooky bad-guy. I have a gut feeling Vulcan won't stay dead forever.

However, time travel has been the major plot device of 25% of Trek movies so far, and it needs a rest.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Since they're just rehashing old stories and characters, how about:
  • Harry Mudd unleashes his horde of mutated killer Tribbles and fembots on the galaxy
  • Apollo sways the crews of the U.S.S. Reliant into becoming his minions as he attempts to reclaim his power as a worshipped deity on Earth
  • The Klingons launch a massive offensive against the Federation, led by Kang, Kor and Kolath, whilst an alluring Romulan Commander plays both sides against the other, all the while being watched by non-coporeal life forms that feed off the negative emotions of sentient species
  • On a world where the inhabitants have tremendous mental powers, melodrama follows after Kirk and Uhura are forced together in front of Spock and Carol