IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 18 2014, 07:25 PM   #676
Donny
Commander

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Great images, the level of realism is breathtaking. I'm just trying to remember the turbo lift's Deck "G" (aka Main Deck 8) designation in connection with the transporter room door.

(i.e. the transporter room corresponds to the studio set location, but somehow I don't remember seeing a Deck G label on the turbo lift door)

Bob
All decal placement is temporary, at the moment. This is just my "test" string of corridors, used to make sure all the different meshes line up properly, to experiment with lighting, etc. it doesn't reflect the final layout.

That being said, would "G Deck" be Deck 7, not 8? Also, I plan on loosely following the layout as depicted in Shane Johnson's Mr. Scott's Guide To The Enterprise, so by that rule, the transporter room would in fact be on G Deck.

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 07:32 PM   #677
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

No reason that a transporter room couldn't be on G-Deck, certainly. No reason it couldn't be on any number of decks really - for a ship the size of the Enterprise and a crew of 500+ (plus in-dialog references in TOS), there's every reason to believe that there are multiple transporter rooms on multiple decks in the refit.

Beautiful as always, Donny. I'm honestly more interested in your refit layout now - was always my favorite design of all the Enterprises.
Old August 18 2014, 07:56 PM   #678
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Gorgeous as always. This runs real time? Seriously?

It would be interesting if you might call out what’s different on the TWOK set from TMP.

I remember watching TWOK a few years ago (as opposed to this weekend) and remarking what a greebly looking thing is on screen when they hear the distress call from the Kobayashi Maru. Then I realized that it was a detail of the bridge ceiling that runs all the way around the bridge! There are a few other TMP details that are like that. A real break from the super clean lines of TOS. (Floor of the transporter room, anyone?)
Old August 19 2014, 02:27 AM   #679
Donny
Commander

Tallguy wrote: View Post
Gorgeous as always. This runs real time? Seriously?
Seriously. And on my rig, at a smooth 60-70 frames per second.

It would be interesting if you might call out what’s different on the TWOK set from TMP.
The basic structure of the corridors are the same. However, there were almost no structures or decals attached to any of the panels in TMP. The production team on TWOK attached to the panels a number of various greeblies (seen in my shots), numbered decals, various information plaques, fire extinguishers (I have yet to model those), and very noticeably the pipe and control box fixtures on either side of the corridor junctions. It made it look more "lived in" and functional, in contrast to TMP's austere sleekness.

Also, it should be noted that TMP's corridor lighting scheme was very cool and floursecent (except for the Engineering deck where it was very very blue), whereas in TWOK the lighting had a much warmer tungsten feel.

Old August 19 2014, 03:39 AM   #680
Nightowl1701
Commander

[QUOTE=Donny;9997141]
Tallguy wrote: View Post
The basic structure of the corridors are the same. However, there were almost no structures or decals attached to any of the panels in TMP. The production team on TWOK attached to the panels a number of various greeblies (seen in my shots), numbered decals, various information plaques, fire extinguishers (I have yet to model those), and very noticeably the pipe and control box fixtures on either side of the corridor junctions. It made it look more "lived in" and functional, in contrast to TMP's austere sleekness.
In other words, the finishing touches they didn't have time for in drydock in the first movie.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 03:50 AM   #681
Donny
Commander

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
In other words, the finishing touches they didn't have time for in drydock in the first movie.
Absolutely. I figure there was at least one minor refit of the Enterprise between TMP and TWOK...seeing that more than ten years pass between the events of the two movies. This would account for the additional "upgrades"...

Old August 19 2014, 05:56 AM   #682
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ I really liked the TUC bridge as well. However, the new turbolift locations - located farther apart than on the TFF version of the bridge - would have technically placed them outside the housing of the original bridge module, which had not changed on the filming miniature. If they had kept them in their original locations, it probably would not have been as spacially awkward. From a production standpoint, I get it - they wanted to reuse the bridge for the Excelsior scenes with the extra alcove behind the Captain's chair necessitating the spreading-apart of the lift doors. Would have fit in fine on the Excelsior, but not on the Enterprise.
On the other hand, the rearranged bridge stations did allow Nick Meyer to get this awesome group shot at the end of the film.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 10:16 AM   #683
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Donny wrote: View Post
That being said, would "G Deck" be Deck 7, not 8?
You are right, it would correspond to Deck 7. Apparently I haven't recovered from my shore leave, yet.

Also, I plan on loosely following the layout as depicted in Shane Johnson's Mr. Scott's Guide To The Enterprise, so by that rule, the transporter room would in fact be on G Deck.
IIRC, the Johnson layout was inspired by David Kimble's TMP Enterprise cutaway where we can see the transporter room on the forward port side of Deck 7.

The cutaway has some issues with scale, but for any location on Deck 7 the saucer's concave bottom / undercut needs to be considered.

This screencap from TMP, showing Kirk outside the transporter room (close to the circular core section of the saucer) illustrates what I consider a problem: Apparently the corridor (with the forced perspective extension painting) stretches out towards the saucer's rim, yet remains unaffected by the saucer's undercut.
Admittedly, the slight misalignment of the FP extension near the floor could suggest a moderate ramp, but the upper corridor structures continue to extend straight, which then would suggest the deck height decreases further out.

I therefore believe the transporter room would need to be located on a deck where there would be enough space to have such a corridor.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 03:46 AM   #684
Donny
Commander

Spent the better part of the day creating these two fire extinguisher models. We all know that Nicholas Meyer made use of fire extinguishers in both TWOK and TUC, so it would be a sin not to include them in my build.

I'm starting to wonder if this obsession with detail is healthy

[EDIT: I just noticed that the yellow extinguisher is shorter than the red one, which is an error I will fix]

Here they are seen in TWOK:

And here are some reference images I was lucky enough to find:

Last edited by Donny; August 20 2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old August 20 2014, 12:16 PM   #685
Robert Comsol
Commodore

It definitely is fascinating for us looking at your results, I dare to say.

I had no idea such fire extinguisher reference pictures even existed.

Did it take longer to find or to build these?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 12:42 PM   #686
feek61
Captain

Of course it is healthy!!!! At least that's what I keep telling myself!!
Old August 20 2014, 04:13 PM   #687
largo
Fleet Captain

obsession with detail is far healther than casual disregard plus stuffing your face with frosted bacon pie.
Old August 20 2014, 09:26 PM   #688
Donny
Commander

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I had no idea such fire extinguisher reference pictures even existed.

Did it take longer to find or to build these?

Bob
It took me longer to build, for sure. I found the reference images over a year ago, pretty easily. Not sure what I searched for, but I came across this site detailing a lot of the props in TOS and the early movies:

http://www.racprops.com/trekmovies/wok/

Old August 20 2014, 09:46 PM   #689
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Very cool prop site. Sadly, they don't have anything on my favorite props from Star Trek III, the electronic ID cards used by the Starfleet Security dude in the bar where he confronted McCoy before taking him to the brig, and the one used by Sulu to subsequently break him out. Been looking for years for info on those things and "just use a modified calculator" was the best anyone could do.
Old August 25 2014, 04:08 AM   #690
Donny
Commander

"Who's been holding up the damned elevator?!"