Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 13 2014, 05:49 PM   #661
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

I actually love 80% of the TMP uniforms. But the guy on the left shows that the onesies where not thought through.
Old August 13 2014, 05:51 PM   #662
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Tallguy wrote: View Post
I actually love 80% of the TMP uniforms. But the guy on the left shows that the onesies where not thought through.
Old August 13 2014, 06:44 PM   #663
Donny
Commander

That's just one of the things I always hear about how Meyer made the Enterprise so much more "military": He made everything more cramped. I will now call BS on that too.

Never forget: It was TMP (Phase II) that added a dedicated weapons console to the bridge.
Now that I think about it, Nicholas Meyer did modify the TNG corridors to make them more cramped for TUC. He added the "K Beams" and some overhead piping to the curved corridors. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 07:31 PM   #664
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Donny wrote: View Post
That's just one of the things I always hear about how Meyer made the Enterprise so much more "military": He made everything more cramped. I will now call BS on that too.

Never forget: It was TMP (Phase II) that added a dedicated weapons console to the bridge.
Now that I think about it, Nicholas Meyer did modify the TNG corridors to make them more cramped for TUC. He added the "K Beams" and some overhead piping to the curved corridors. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?
Maybe that’s what other people are thinking of when they talk about TWOK. But it makes sense for TUC. It wasn’t to make the Enterprise MORE cramped than it was before. It was to make it AS cramped as it was before. (Although he's definitely going for a submarine feel with the dining room.)

There’s a shot in TUC when the ship leaves dock. Scotty is beaming with pride at his bairns and there’s a crewman at his side. The crewman is looking on in shock. I always laugh. I figure he’s thinking “What’s the TNG warp core doing here?”
Old August 13 2014, 07:58 PM   #665
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ They also had a single transporter pad in the wall in front of that weapons console, too, IIRC. It was a really cool concept that TOS should have had in case the turbolift system shut down for any reason (as it was occasionally wont to do).
Yes.

Well, it's labeled as such ("bridge inner-ship transporter") on sheet 5 of 14 of the official TMP blueprints, between the weapons/defense station and the main viewer, and it's drawn as an alcove. Evidently, it's behind a panel, because AFAIK that panel is all we can see on screen. I don't know whether they even actually built it, beyond just the panel covering it up. Here are some screencaps showing that area:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tmphd0406.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tmphd0863.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tmphd2469.jpg
It seems like an awfully narrow space to squeeze into, even sideways.
Old August 13 2014, 08:49 PM   #666
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

My memory has been jogged a bit: I don't think it's meant for people. More for equipment.
Old August 13 2014, 08:53 PM   #667
Redfern
Commodore

I thought that element was supposed to be the transporter based successor to the the original "food slot" dumbwaiter system in the original series, a kind of early "replicator" or rapid delivery system for supplies and equipment, not personnel. At least, I think David Gerrold described it as such in his "Star Trek Reports" column within Starlog when the production still wavered between the movie and the Phase II series.

Sincerely,

Bill

EDIT: Looks like TallGuy "ninja'd" me.

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 08:54 PM   #668
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

The only hits for "bridge inner-ship transporter" (in quotes) in Google are right here.
Old August 13 2014, 10:07 PM   #669
Donny
Commander

There’s a shot in TUC when the ship leaves dock. Scotty is beaming with pride at his bairns and there’s a crewman at his side. The crewman is looking on in shock. I always laugh. I figure he’s thinking “What’s the TNG warp core doing here?”
Ha. I was always wondering why that guy was so shocked.

Old August 17 2014, 07:59 PM   #670
Donny
Commander

I take about 30 minutes to discuss my project (and my experience at the convention) on this week's Tricorder Transmissions podcast. Check it out below if interested; my bit is about an hour into the recording. Enjoy!

Also, feek61, I give you a shout-out to you in the podcast for letting me use your research for making the bridge display graphics!

http://www.thetricordertransmissions...ode.php?ep=s13

Old August 17 2014, 09:26 PM   #671
Nightowl1701
Captain

^^^ They also had a single transporter pad in the wall in front of that weapons console, too, IIRC. It was a really cool concept that TOS should have had in case the turbolift system shut down for any reason (as it was occasionally wont to do).
Yes.

Well, it's labeled as such ("bridge inner-ship transporter") on sheet 5 of 14 of the official TMP blueprints, between the weapons/defense station and the main viewer, and it's drawn as an alcove. Evidently, it's behind a panel, because AFAIK that panel is all we can see on screen. I don't know whether they even actually built it, beyond just the panel covering it up. Here are some screencaps showing that area:

What's really funny is that, according to the Enterprise Flight Manual prepared in Feb. 1978 by Joe Jennings and Rick Sternbach (Apparently to familiarize Phase II/TMP bridge crew with the functions of the new consoles), the bridge transporter console is on the other side of the viewscreen (where the two crewmen are hunched over the console in the top screengrab quoted above).

Phase II bridge layout

Phase II bridge transporter console layout (fits the TMP screencap perfectly)

That little panel we're arguing over? They don't come out and say it, but...wink wink nudge nudge... That's the bathroom.
Nightowl1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2014, 09:42 PM   #672
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post

Yes.

What's really funny is that, according to the Enterprise Flight Manual prepared in Feb. 1978 by Joe Jennings and Rick Sternbach (Apparently to familiarize Phase II/TMP bridge crew with the functions of the new consoles), the bridge transporter console is on the other side of the viewscreen (where the two crewmen are hunched over the console in the top screengrab quoted above).

Phase II bridge layout

Phase II bridge transporter console layout (fits the TMP screencap perfectly)

That little panel we're arguing over? They don't come out and say it, but...wink wink nudge nudge... That's the bathroom.
In the official TMP blueprints, that station to the immediate right of the MAIN VIEWER is the ARTIFICIAL GRAVITY CONTROL STATION.
Old August 17 2014, 10:05 PM   #673
feek61
Captain

Hey Donny,

Great interview and thanks for the shout-out! That was a pretty cool thing to do.
Old August 18 2014, 08:13 AM   #674
Donny
Commander

So, I've decided to go with a very strict TWOK look to my Refit Enterprise build, as you'll see in these screenshots below. You'll see I'm implementing a warm, tungsten-style lighting scheme. TWOK also has more visual goodies than a straight TMP build would have. The decals, the greeblies, the pipes...a very submarine feel. I like it, and am very pleased to be working on the Refit again while I'm inspired to do so. Maybe I should rename this thread yet again to include all Kirk-era Enterprises?

Old August 18 2014, 11:22 AM   #675
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Donny wrote: View Post
Maybe I should rename this thread yet again to include all Kirk-era Enterprises?
Strictly technically speaking the it's the "refit" TOS Enterprise and I can think of other threads that cover both versions though the thread title only suggests "TOS".

Great images, the level of realism is breathtaking. I'm just trying to remember the turbo lift's Deck "G" (aka Main Deck 8) designation in connection with the transporter room door.

(i.e. the transporter room corresponds to the studio set location, but somehow I don't remember seeing a Deck G label on the turbo lift door)

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote