Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 27 2013, 07:11 AM   #316
Talos
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: TOS Enterprise Interiors -- Unreal 3 Engine

Donny wrote: View Post
Scissors are an easy fix. Thanks for pointing (no pun intended) that out, Greg.

Just spent the last 3 hours modelling this bottle of Saurian Brandy. And that does it for props for now! Whew.
Ooooh, the brandy. I've always loved that bottle. Totally need to get one as decoration one of these days.
Talos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 08:45 AM   #317
Donny
Commander

All right. I know I've said this before, but here are the final shots of the examination room before I move on. I had to get the last few details in, namely the props, the (debated) mirror, and I also added the instrument stand to the right of the examination bed. I could place another on the other side, but it seems a little redundant. (Some episodes featured two, others just one) Opinions?

I also decided against putting the Saurian Brandy in the lit cabinet. Doing so would require shortening the length of the bottom shelf, which was only done in one episode, "The Enemy Within". I can always put he brandy elsewhere. Opinions?

Ack! Just realized I forgot to put some spray bottles in the cabinet. Oh well. I'll have to wait for the next lighting compile.

Anyway, here's some shots showing the updates.

I had so much fun working on these props, I have to show them off one last time. Here's a super up-close shot rendered in-game. (edit: Just noticed some of the props are clipping through the green cloth. Will fix on next compile).

http://rigel7studios.blogspot.com/

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 11:29 AM   #318
Robert Comsol
Commodore

AMAZING! Really looks fantastic and is an outstanding and beautiful achievement.

I also added the instrument stand to the right of the examination bed. I could place another on the other side, but it seems a little redundant. (Some episodes featured two, others just one) Opinions?
Ouch...while I have noticed the rectangular stand or table in locations like the Season One engine room and especially in Dr. McCoy's office, I never noticed they just put a Bauhaus-style table on top of it - or my subconscious tried to forget it. IMHO, this contraption sticks out like a sore thumb and may be the reason why we didn't get a better look at it. No doubts that this is probably accurate but I wonder how it impacts the overall credibility of the exam room. Yes, I'd say another one of these is most definitely redundant.

I also decided against putting the Saurian Brandy in the lit cabinet. Doing so would require shortening the length of the bottom shelf, which was only done in one episode, "The Enemy Within". I can always put he brandy elsewhere. Opinions?
Despite not encouraging adolescents to drink and drive and else, I was never comfortable with the public display of the Saurian Brandy bottle in "The Enemy Within" and "The Conscience of the King". It had disappeared by Season Two and Three (hopefully into McCoy's cabin) and you could, indeed, always put it elsewhere like the unseen back of the set.

Ack! Just realized I forgot to put some spray bottles in the cabinet.
IMHO, that's not a problem that requires a fix. Those things are too darn 20th Century reminiscent and I can most definitely do without these to keep the illusion we're in the 23rd Century and not the back room of a flower shop. Just my 0.02 $.

Bob

P.S.
I think the (otherwise unseen) wall in the side booth could extend further into the office area behind. Though we never saw what's on this wall (hand sterilizing sink, hyposprays or else?) I would leave this wall "unseen". Revealing that blank wall now makes the booth look like a dead space without actual function.
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 01:23 PM   #319
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

All right. I know I've said this before, but here are the final shots of the examination room before I move on. I had to get the last few details in, namely the props, the (debated) mirror, and I also added the instrument stand to the right of the examination bed. I could place another on the other side, but it seems a little redundant. (Some episodes featured two, others just one) Opinions?

Ack! Just realized I forgot to put some spray bottles in the cabinet. Oh well. I'll have to wait for the next lighting compile.

Donny the stool stacked up on the table for an instrument stand is perfect. I don't think it sticks out much. In fact most people have gone through all these episodes and have never even really noticed that it's even there. It's disappearing into your shots just like it did in all the actual episodes it appears in. I think I wouldn't put one on the other side of the exam bed, too. (On that side of the bed, I think you should have the attachable instrument tray on the bed or another stand, but not both.)

I hear you about shortening that shelf for the Saurian brandy bottles. I'm sure it's just as annoying to deal with that bottom shelf virtually as it has been in real life. I agree with Robert Comsol: I think I wouldn't put the bottle in the cabinet, as cool as it is. I always applauded the notion that alcohol on the ship is kept locked up in McCoy's cabinet. (Even the Captain has to ask for it.) But I'm sure there are other places for it not in Sick Bay. (Perhaps in a Rec Room set like in "Charlie X.")

I like the idea of putting the trigger sprayers in the cabinet, but I think I'd lose it from the bedside stand. (It's bright and catching my eye.) I don't know what tall-ish and colorful thing you could put there instead. <Thinking cap activated.>)

Do we know if the red plant-on by the door is actually that one that you're showing there? (It's an inspired guess even if we don't get any fuller looks at it.)

All in all, I want to live and work in your rendering.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 02:21 PM   #320
Redfern
Commodore

It still blows my mind that you generate your renders with a "real-time" game engine! The lighting and shadows are far more faithful than I have been able to achieve with a rendering tool that can take several minutes (if not hours, depending upon the features checked) to create a single frame.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 04:30 PM   #321
M
Vice Admiral

Donny, I love your recreations of those sets! The attention to detail is astonishing. Have you ever thought about writing spherical (equirectangular) images out of the engine and uploading them to a site like http://www.panogio.com? That way we could immerse even more on your work. I would love to pan around the brigde, sickbay or engineering.

Just for the heck of it, I created a spherical view from that establishing shot from "The Man Trap". Enjoy.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2013, 06:01 PM   #322
Donny
Commander

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I think the (otherwise unseen) wall in the side booth could extend further into the office area behind. Though we never saw what's on this wall (hand sterilizing sink, hyposprays or else?) I would leave this wall "unseen". Revealing that blank wall now makes the booth look like a dead space without actual function.
Will do. I will have to wait for that until I build the office set, so I'll know how much room there is to work with. I too had the idea of putting a hand sink there, and tried a few different things, but everything looked a little too out of place. I think it's best it remains a mystery. Only problem is that the player can venture into the "booth" unless I put an invisible wall there preventing it, which would most certainly ruin the immersion more.

GSchnitzer wrote:
Do we know if the red plant-on by the door is actually that one that you're showing there? (It's an inspired guess even if we don't get any fuller looks at it.)
http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x...etarhd0441.jpg

It was an "inspired guess"

Redfern wrote:
It still blows my mind that you generate your renders with a "real-time" game engine! The lighting and shadows are far more faithful than I have been able to achieve with a rendering tool that can take several minutes (if not hours, depending upon the features checked) to create a single frame.
Unfortunately, I too have to do lighting compiles with each change I make to the map file. These can take anywhere from a single minute to a few hours, depending on the complexity of the map, and the quality of the lighting I select. For example, the sickbay examination room by itself takes about an hour to compile at this point at full production lighting quality. However, the string of corridors I've constructed so far with the transporter room, briefing room, and turbolifts in place took over 8 hours last time I compiled it! It makes sense that I build these things separately to reduce lighting compile times and then combine them all later, and then go to sleep or to work to wait on the full compile.

However, these compile times will have no effect on the eventual audience. Once I do my final lighting compiles, the map files load instantly (on my PC, however).

M wrote:
Donny, I love your recreations of those sets! The attention to detail is astonishing. Have you ever thought about writing spherical (equirectangular) images out of the engine and uploading them to a site like http://www.panogio.com? That way we could immerse even more on your work. I would love to pan around the brigde, sickbay or engineering.

Just for the heck of it, I created a spherical view from that establishing shot from "The Man Trap". Enjoy.
Not sure how to do this. Is there a program for it?

Old June 28 2013, 02:18 PM   #323
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Donny - I just got back from a trip and AWESOME detailed work!
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 02:37 PM   #324
umichigan
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd better get my T-16 Holodeck working again before he's finished with this project. Although I heard they modified the power source for for the holo-emitters... maybe I'll wait for the T-17 upgrade to be released.... Either way, this simulation is going to rock! Now where did I put Dix's transponder code? Moriarty is going to want a piece of this too...
Old June 28 2013, 09:51 PM   #325
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

The bottom of your Mr. Microphone seems to be intersecting the green surface, just so you know.
So, um, any way this can be ported to XBox? Huh? Huh?
Old June 28 2013, 10:00 PM   #326
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

that and a greenscreen and bang! fan film central
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 10:43 PM   #327
Donny
Commander

wildstar wrote: View Post
The bottom of your Mr. Microphone seems to be intersecting the green surface, just so you know.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out, but you'll notice I already caught that if you read the caption above the picture. Sheesh

As far as an XBox port, I think it's possible, since UDK has options to build projects for consoles. How to do so is beyond me at this point. I shall look into it closer to time to release.

Old June 28 2013, 10:50 PM   #328
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

Yes, thanks for pointing that out, but you'll notice I already caught that if you read the caption above the picture. Sheesh

As far as an XBox port, I think it's possible, since UDK has options to build projects for consoles. How to do so is beyond me at this point. I shall look into it closer to time to release.
Oops sorry man. I was distracted by the great artwork!
Old June 28 2013, 10:59 PM   #329
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

This would make a great indy app in the XLA.
Old June 29 2013, 12:39 AM   #330
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Lovely, clean work, Donny.