RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Posts: 5,358,806
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 548
Newest member: space2050


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 9 2013, 12:20 AM   #31
1001001
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

Pavonis wrote: View Post
But, if it is a statement of fact, why is it considered pretentious?
Same reason as before.

It's not relevant to a social situation.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:24 AM   #32
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

I don't see any problem referring to either MDs or Ph.D.s as "Doctor," especially in a work setting. If you're a college professor, everyone around you should know that you're exactly that--someone with a doctorate. But being addressed "Dr. Smith" is always optional. We live in informal times nowadays that you can call your boss by his/her first name. In a social setting, one should probably drop the "Doctor" (Ph.D.) title so as not to be mistaken for a physician.

And then there are other forms of doctors. My dentist is a Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD). My therapist has a Doctor of Psychology degree (Psy. D.). I'm working on my Doctor of Divinity; I just need to send in my $50.

http://universalministries.com/catalog/lifexp_cat.html

__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:24 AM   #33
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Your point is a good one, but raises the question - when did physicians become doctors? How did they manage to co-opt the title so thoroughly that only physicians are "real" doctors?

There's no reason that we can't say "go to the physician", since it's just as clear and concise as saying "go to the doctor", but we just don't. Just one of those quirks of language and culture, I guess.
Yep. Language changes. Rarely do we know why.

Pavonis wrote: View Post
But, if it is a statement of fact, why is it considered pretentious?
I think addressing people by title is just generally odd. My title is "manager," but I certainly expect people to address me as such. I've always thought it was strange that a person with a doctorate suddenly has the title "Doctor" as if it's now a part of their legal name.

I always get tripped up on legal forms that ask me for my prefix (Mr, Mrs, Ms, etc). I usually want to say "none of the above." I have a name; "Mister" is not a part of it.

In a professional setting, especially for a college professor, it really just depends on how much you want to distance yourself from your students. If you'd rather have a more formal relationship, I'd say you have your pick of either "Doctor" or "Professor." But you could just as easily use your first name, and your students probably wouldn't think anything of it.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 12:50 AM   #34
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
It's hard to reconcile the respect physicians get when they reveal their title as Doctor So-and-So with the "pretentiousness" that is perceived when a PhD does the same.
Actually, if I met a physician in a social setting where other people were using just their names -- no Ms. or Mr. -- I would think it pretentious of him or her to use Dr.
Pavonis wrote: View Post
But, if it is a statement of fact, why is it considered pretentious?
1001001 wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
But, if it is a statement of fact, why is it considered pretentious?
Same reason as before.

It's not relevant to a social situation.
Exactly.

And because it sounds like the person thinks they're too important to be called by their first name (or whatever) like the rest of the peons they're mingling with.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 01:24 AM   #35
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

"Her first name could be doctor!"

I have been surrounded by real doctors (just teasing, don't get mad) my whole life. So it doesn't seem pretentious to me at all. Then again, with multiple doctors in the family, I'm used to hearing them referred to as Dr. Firstname or Dr. FirstInital. Which I suppose is less formal. If you have a doctorate in basket weaving, and want to be called doctor, I'll do it. I tend to assume that people have worked hard to earn the title that they have, so I respect that. Except for Dr. Phil.

If you're pretentious and condescending, it will come out in other ways so there's no need to make an assumption from one thing.
__________________
"You're not my type." --Manticore
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 01:29 AM   #36
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

I'm curious to know exactly why "The" Doctor calls himself that, for that matter.

I mean, sure, I doubt he'd want to use his real name, but why Doctor? What made him pick that particular title? Does he see himself trying to cure the universe's ills?
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 01:30 AM   #37
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Except for Dr. Phil.
Amen!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 01:33 AM   #38
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I'm curious to know exactly why "The" Doctor calls himself that, for that matter.

I mean, sure, I doubt he'd want to use his real name, but why Doctor? What made him pick that particular title? Does he see himself trying to cure the universe's ills?
You haven't been watching the current season, have you?
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 01:36 AM   #39
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

^ No. I haven't seen any DW after the TV movie.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 01:37 AM   #40
Finn
Vice Admiral
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Location: In the MetroWest
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

sidious618 wrote: View Post
When I was in college we referred to most of our professors by their first name.
I had profs who hated it when students included "Dr" when addressing them in person or emails.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 01:42 AM   #41
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

Finn wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
When I was in college we referred to most of our professors by their first name.
I had profs who hated it when students included "Dr" when addressing them in person or emails.
What a stupid thing to be irritated by. It's their title.
__________________
"You're not my type." --Manticore
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 02:14 AM   #42
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I'm curious to know exactly why "The" Doctor calls himself that, for that matter.

I mean, sure, I doubt he'd want to use his real name, but why Doctor? What made him pick that particular title? Does he see himself trying to cure the universe's ills?
See, you've got it backwards. We learned the word from him - the Doctor gave us the word which means healer and wise one.
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 02:15 AM   #43
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

Finn wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
When I was in college we referred to most of our professors by their first name.
I had profs who hated it when students included "Dr" when addressing them in person or emails.
Any idea as to why?

I understand some professors try to be "friends" with their students, and want to erase any perceived boundaries between them by being informal in address. I think it works about as well as when parents try to be "friends" with their children.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 02:48 AM   #44
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

Reminds me of adults who don't want to be called Mr./Ms. Lastname because, "That's my father/mother," or who act as though "Sir" or "Ma'am" were an insult.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2013, 03:05 AM   #45
Maestro
Vice Admiral
 
Maestro's Avatar
 
Location: Maestro
Re: "Doctor" - MDs vs PhDs

My principal holds a PhD. It is appropriate to address him professionally as "Doctor." Many of our students call him "Mister." He takes no offense and offers no correction.

I did my undergrad at Wisconsin. Most of our instructors in the School of Music allowed (asked, some begged) us to call them by their first names.

I'm working on my MM in MuEd at the University of Florida through their distance program. We are REQUIRED by the program to address our professors professionally, "Dr. <so and so>" or "Professor <so and so>" unless otherwise requested by the professor. All three professors that I've had so far even sign their emails "Dr. LAST NAME." THAT'S pretentious, if you ask me. Perhaps it's a Southern thing.
__________________
"When Christians use Jesus for hate-mongering, they ruin Jesus for the rest of us." -Me.
Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
and social conventions, etiquette, titles

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.