RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,846
Posts: 5,474,150
Members: 25,040
Currently online: 531
Newest member: Space Tennis

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 21 2013, 05:11 PM   #91
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Its a sign your argument makes sense when people start picking on spelling and grammer
No.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:12 PM   #92
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

No. It's a sign you suck at "spelling and grammer".

Your arguments have been already commented and refuted.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:19 PM   #93
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

T'Girl wrote: View Post

According to the series,the presence of a replicator in a private home is about half and half. So they are in no way ubiquitous through-out Human society, nor are they the source of all things.
Indeed. Robert Picard refused to allow replicators in the family home, yet they seemed fairly well off. Most likely they made their living from selling Chateau Picard.

Jason Vico is someone in the future who is directly refer to as being not employed. Picard seem to be somewhat shocked to hear that Vico didn't have a job. Keiko O'Brien is seen to be occasionally unemployed. When it is directly mentioned, with a few exceptions people in the future have jobs, or are the spouses of people who do, or are children.
There's also Richard Bashir (Julian's father) who seems to bounce from job to job quickly.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:24 PM   #94
Crazyewok
Commander
 
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
No. It's a sign you suck at "spelling and grammer".

Your arguments have been already commented and refuted.

Not really refuted.

You have yet to refute the fact that Sisko stated that its seems to cost civilians to use it on earth.

And as somebody else stated there do seem to be people that bounce from job to job.

Maybe I "suck" at spelling but at least I can read!
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:39 PM   #95
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
You have yet to refute the fact that Sisko stated that its seems to cost civilians to use it on earth
All we heard about "transporter credits" was that they were associated with Starfleet cadets. Sisko, as a cadet, used up "a month's worth of transporter credits" (presumably in less than a month) transporting from San Francisco to his parents' home in New Orleans to eat dinner because he was homesick.

What this idea suggests to me is that Starfleet cadets are issued credits for the use of transporters, with the intention of controlling their travels. It does no good to allow cadets to leave campus willy-nilly - discipline must be built up in them by controlling their freedoms. They can't transport home from their starbase or starship every time they feel homesick. Might as well get them conditioned before they graduate.

There was no indication that civilians are issued or have to deal with "transporter credits".
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:41 PM   #96
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

^ But the Federation does have "credits" in a general sense, we've seen that word used many times as well. And not always by Starfleet.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:44 PM   #97
Crazyewok
Commander
 
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Crazyewok wrote: View Post
You have yet to refute the fact that Sisko stated that its seems to cost civilians to use it on earth


There was no indication that civilians are issued or have to deal with "transporter credits".
And NO indication it was confined to just starfleet.

All we can do is Assume.

But it makes sense as why does'nt every Earth Citzen live in a mansion or Penthouse?

Harry Kim seemed to live in only a basic apparment before he left for Voyger.

It seem you still have to earn a better home.

No will homeless and no one is going to take your home away ever BUT it seem that to get your shiny dream home you have to work.

On the other hand you see Kirks lodge and the Picards vinyard, these people obviosly have earned this places through there contributions.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:48 PM   #98
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

Perhaps the most basic kind of lodging in the Federation is something like those hotels you sometimes see (IIRC, they're mainly found in Japan) that have hundreds of rows of cubicle-like chambers which have the bare necessities of life. Thus, if you want anything more than that, you have to work.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 05:53 PM   #99
Crazyewok
Commander
 
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Perhaps the most basic kind of lodging in the Federation is something like those hotels you sometimes see (IIRC, they're mainly found in Japan) that have hundreds of rows of cubicle-like chambers which have the bare necessities of life. Thus, if you want anything more than that, you have to work.
Na I dont think it would be THAT stingy.

More like a simple box appartment with a bed, replicator, living room and toliet.
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 06:02 PM   #100
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

Crazyewok wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post
Crazyewok wrote: View Post
You have yet to refute the fact that Sisko stated that its seems to cost civilians to use it on earth
There was no indication that civilians are issued or have to deal with "transporter credits".
And NO indication it was confined to just starfleet.

All we can do is Assume.
I assumed nothing. We know for a fact that "transporter credits" are issued to Starfleet cadets. We know nothing beyond that. You can assume transporter credits are issued to everyone in the Federation if you like, but there's no evidence of that being the case.

But it makes sense as why does'nt every Earth Citzen live in a mansion or Penthouse?
Who says they don't? If I'm going to assume, then I assume that everyone has an apartment in every major city that they enjoy visiting, and that every citizen has a mansion-sized home somewhere on Earth, depending on their preferences. It's not as though we all want beach houses. Some prefer log cabins in the mountains. Others might prefer to live in the desert, or the savanna, or on the far side of the moon. It's not as if it's any more difficult to get to the moon in the 24th century than it is to get from New York to London.

Harry Kim seemed to live in only a basic apparment before he left for Voyger.
Harry Kim is a Starfleet officer - it may have been assigned to him, for all we know.


Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ But the Federation does have "credits" in a general sense, we've seen that word used many times as well. And not always by Starfleet.
The Federation used credits in the 23rd century, and a vague mention of an account of Crusher's in the 24th century (to buy a bolt of fabric at Farpoint). Beyond that, what are "credits"? The name of their currency, or is it a credit for "housing allowance" or a "goods allowance" or "transporter allowance"? We don't know. Maybe credits are nothing more than IOUs!

Frankly, we don't know much about Trek's idea of the economics of interstellar civilizations, but I'm willing to bet that such a thing would be far different than merely international economics nowadays - and does anyone really understand international economics?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 06:09 PM   #101
Crazyewok
Commander
 
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

Pavonis wrote: View Post

There was no indication that civilians are issued or have to deal with "transporter credits".
And NO indication it was confined to just starfleet.

All we can do is Assume.
[/QUOTE]

I assumed nothing

[/QUOTE]
Erm yes you did you assumed they are ONLY given to starfleet personal.




Pavonis wrote: View Post
We don't know.
No we dont it is only speculation. But it makes sense some trade medium exists.

Pavonis wrote: View Post
but I'm willing to bet that such a thing would be far different than merely international economics nowadays -
I 100% it wont be like what we have now. There will be no Rich/poor divide. If you want something you can get it as long as you contribute something.

Pavonis wrote: View Post
and does anyone really understand international economics?
I dont think anyone knows
Crazyewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 06:15 PM   #102
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

Look, Crazyewok, you're just throwing "assume" at me, and others, like it's an insult. Making assumptions is fine, as long as they're clearly stated. I've not assumed that Starfleet cadets are issued transporter credits - that's a fact. I've simply not assumed that they are generally issued to everyone. See how that's not an assumption? See the difference between making an assumption and not making one?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 06:16 PM   #103
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Perhaps the most basic kind of lodging in the Federation is something like those hotels you sometimes see (IIRC, they're mainly found in Japan) that have hundreds of rows of cubicle-like chambers which have the bare necessities of life. Thus, if you want anything more than that, you have to work.
No, because given what we've seen that they're capable of a policy like that would be punitive and not at all in line with the values the characters on the shows express. People would object.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 06:29 PM   #104
Pavonis
Commodore
 
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

We've never really seen a typical Federation citizen's life, and certainly not what typical Federation citizen's housing is like. It would be boring, probably. Not much of a chance of alien invasions in downtown Chicago, or suburban Shanghai, is there? So we'll probably never see these things.

We've seen the Picard chateau, and Kirk's log cabin (in Idaho?), Kirk's San Francisco apartment (or condo?), Reg Barclay's apartment (in San Francisco?), the Sisko home/restaurant in New Orleans, and Harry Kim's apartment in San Francisco. The closest to a "middle-class" home depicted would be the Sisko home/restaurant.

Kirk's residences might be atypical, what with him being a Starfleet admiral, and Picard's family has resided in the chateau for centuries. Kim and Barclay are junior officers, so their residences may be assigned to them, or purchased by them - we can't tell.

I'd enjoy getting a peek at everyday life of an ordinary citizen in the Federation, but it's not likely to happen, because it's probably pleasantly boring from a dramatic perspective.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2013, 06:29 PM   #105
Third Nacelle
Captain
 
Third Nacelle's Avatar
 
Location: The Denorios Belt
Re: United Earth? No Thanks.

Some sort of currency has to exist for the Federation to trade outside of itself - such as the 1.5 million credit bid for the Barzan wormhole. I would guess "credit" mean something more than just an IOU. Quark even accepted them.

But we've never seen credits used WITHIN the Federation except for a possibly illegal transaction involving a tribble. I'm sure there is still some kind of informal economy going on involving them, but I would not think the average Federation citizen would ever have to deal with credits.
Third Nacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
loony libertarians

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.