RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,701
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 737
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 10 2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Re: about the IV title

I always thought the titles of TFF and TUC should have been reversed.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 09:20 PM   #17
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I always thought TFF was a cheesy title because it's just quoting from the opening narration.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 09:58 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
I have always thought the title was a bit strange, because the Enterprise actually voyages home quote often.
I like the titles of the "Genesis trilogy" taken collectively, because they work quite well as descriptive chapter titles. The first film in the trilogy portrays the wrath of Khan, the second depicts the search for Spock, and the third chronicles the voyage home (by a roundabout route) after those events.

...Undiscovered Country is just a strange title all together.
No more so than any of Trek's Shakespearean titles. TOS gave us "Dagger of the Mind," "The Conscience of the King," "By Any Other Name," "All Our Yesterdays," and maybe "Wink of an Eye," and Shakespeare's works were quoted or alluded to in the bodies of several other episodes. So why shouldn't the movies have continued the tradition? Let's hear it for foisting a bit of literacy on the moviegoing public.

And of course it's a very evocative title to anyone who knows Hamlet's soliloquy (and anyone who doesn't was cheated by their school system), for "the undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveller returns" is death. Which is why Meyer wanted it for the title of TWOK, a film that was very much about the idea of mortality. It's not quite as good a fit for the film it ended up on, though; Meyer kind of had to cheat by giving it a second meaning of "the future," but I guess it was about people fearing the death of their way of life and being afraid to move forward, which does have parallels with what Hamlet was talking about.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 10:26 PM   #19
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Chrono85 wrote: View Post
I have always thought the title was a bit strange, because the Enterprise actually voyages home quote often. Really, though, almost all of the Trek's have awkward or obtuse titles . Wrath of Khan is actually a bit cheesy, and Undiscovered Country is just a strange title all together.
Not really. The Enterprise never returned home in the original series, aside from the occasional time-travel jaunt to the Great Depression or the Cold War. It was the later series that tended to make return visits to Starfleet Academy and such.

We never even saw 23rd Century Earth until TMP.
Old May 10 2013, 11:54 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

^Right. And the other TOS movies all begin with the crew at Earth (or just arriving there, as in TSFS) and show them going off somewhere else to get into an adventure. TVH is the only original-cast movie where Earth is the destination rather than the starting point.

Old May 11 2013, 12:00 AM   #21
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Unless you count the park in The Cage/The Menagerie where Capt. Pike and Vina picnicked. Not the real Earth, of course, but evidently completely accurate to Pike's senses.
Old May 11 2013, 12:23 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer

^I think that "park" was meant to be a belt of woodland surrounding the city of Mojave, an indication that the desert had been made to bloom between now and then. At least that's how I've always interpreted it.

Old May 11 2013, 12:27 AM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Unless you count the park in The Cage/The Menagerie where Capt. Pike and Vina picnicked. Not the real Earth, of course, but evidently completely accurate to Pike's senses.
This is true.
Old May 11 2013, 12:34 AM   #24
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

DonIago wrote: View Post
I always assumed it was intended to have multiple meanings.
yup. this
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 12:40 AM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

And yet, in the end, it doesn't matter. Only hardcore Trekkies actually remember the title. To the rest of the world, it is and always will be "The One with the Whales."

Paramount should probably just break down and retitle it.
Old May 11 2013, 01:20 AM   #26
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I can see it now-

ST:The One with the Bald Chick
ST:The One with the Crazy Guy
ST:The One where the Enterprise Blows Up Real Good
ST:The One with the Whales
ST:The One with God
ST:The One with Pink Blood
ST:The One where Kirk meets Picard
ST:The One with the Borg
ST:The One with the Creepy Old Guys
ST:The One with the Romulans
ST:The New One
Old May 11 2013, 04:08 AM   #27
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I like the fact the Voyage Home could refer to seeing where everything that the crew knows stemmed from what we have now, they had to journey back in time to see where they had come from.
Old May 11 2013, 06:47 AM   #28
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

I can see it now-

ST:The One with the Bald Chick
ST:The One with the Crazy Guy
ST:The One where the Enterprise Blows Up Real Good
ST:The One with the Whales
ST:The One with God
ST:The One with Pink Blood
ST:The One where Kirk meets Picard
ST:The One with the Borg
ST:The One with the Creepy Old Guys
ST:The One with the Romulans
ST:The New One
I like it! Except, would Nemesis really be "The One with the Romulans"? Heck, they weren't in the thing long enough for anyone to notice.

So what are we to call Into Darkness? "The Newer One?"
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2013, 07:32 AM   #29
DonIago
Rear Admiral

I honestly couldn't come up with a title for NEM that I thought better encapsulated what the average movie-goer was likely to remember. There's probably a reason for that...

After I've seen ID I'm sure I'll have a good shorthand title for it.
Old May 11 2013, 07:18 PM   #30
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I honestly couldn't come up with a title for NEM that I thought better encapsulated what the average movie-goer was likely to remember. There's probably a reason for that...
The One Nobody Saw?

In my experience, the average moviegoer remembers Khan, the whales, the Borg, the new one . . . and that's pretty much it.

Most people are surprised to find out that there have actually been twelve Star Trek movies . ...