To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 7 2013, 03:16 PM   #16
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Matt Smith confirmed for series 8

StCoop wrote: View Post
That's why I think he'll be back in the UK in September for a month and then gone for good.
It pains me to say this, but I agree with your thinking. It pains me, because I enjoy Smith's performance, even if I'm not always happy with the material he has to work with.

The thing that would keep Smith, but will never happen, would be to move Doctor Who production to the United States. Specifically, New York City. At the "Asylum" screening in New York, Smith said he wished they could film every episode of Doctor Who in New York. While I'm sure there are warehouses in Brooklyn or Queens that could be easily converted into permanent soundstages for Doctor Who, doing that just to keep Smith doesn't make any sense.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Starkers
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
longest in universe lifetime?
Assuming no pre-Hartnell Doctors, Hartnell would be the longest living Doctor. Assuming "Rose" is a post-regeneration story, Eccleston would be the shortest living Doctor.

Smith would be in the top three, thanks to the two hundred years for his Doctor between seasons five and six. Davison and Tennant are in the bottom three.
Davison makes sense (never without his companions, although there's nothing to say he didn't drop them off then come back for them 200 years later) but didn't Ten go bumming around for decades before finally deigning to pop to the Ood Homeworld?

And of course, given how long his farewell tour seemed to be, there's probably a few years betweent the moment he took Wilf's place in the radiation chamber and when he actually regenerated!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 03:52 PM   #18
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Starkers wrote: View Post
Davison makes sense (never without his companions, although there's nothing to say he didn't drop them off then come back for them 200 years later) but didn't Ten go bumming around for decades before finally deigning to pop to the Ood Homeworld?
No. The tenth Doctor said he was 903 in "Voyage of the Damned," and in "Flesh and Stone" the eleventh Doctor said he was 907. It may have been RTD's intention (I know it was certainly talked about), but a lengthy gap before "The End of Time" never materialized.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 04:11 PM   #19
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

That's why I think he'll be back in the UK in September for a month and then gone for good.
It pains me to say this, but I agree with your thinking. It pains me, because I enjoy Smith's performance, even if I'm not always happy with the material he has to work with.

The thing that would keep Smith, but will never happen, would be to move Doctor Who production to the United States. Specifically, New York City. At the "Asylum" screening in New York, Smith said he wished they could film every episode of Doctor Who in New York. While I'm sure there are warehouses in Brooklyn or Queens that could be easily converted into permanent soundstages for Doctor Who, doing that just to keep Smith doesn't make any sense.
That's too bad, if that's the way it'll work out. I can certainly understand Smith wanting to expand his career. However, I think it's a bit shortsighted (in general, not just of Matt Smith).

The Doctor is such an iconic role that will be remembered for generations. On the other hand, the odds are that any of them who come to the States will get bit parts and 2nd rate roles that will quickly be forgotten.

Sure, there's the possibility that they'll hit it huge, but that's unlikely. And, given that he has already landed the role of a lifetime, well, I wouldn't be so quick to give it up!

It's probably a tough position to be in too. They don't want to be typecast. But, Tom Baker is beloved for his 7 years on Doctor Who, not his one-shot guest role in Remington Steele!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 04:38 PM   #20
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I find that such a curious way of looking at tenure. Like Adam West was Batman from 1966-1989 or William Shatner played Kirk from 1966-2009. Of course, Who fans treat the show as if it's been airing continuously since its inception.
One of the ways suggested to determine longest length as the Doctor was longest real life time. Under that logic, Sylvester McCoy certainly qualifies (I don't think Paul McGann necessarily does, though).
Old May 7 2013, 04:46 PM   #21
StCoop
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
They don't want to be typecast. But, Tom Baker is beloved for his 7 years on Doctor Who, not his one-shot guest role in Remington Steele!
It didn't do his career much good. Tennant has had more high profile leading roles in three years since he left than Baker had in thirty.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 04:55 PM   #22
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

That's too bad, if that's the way it'll work out. I can certainly understand Smith wanting to expand his career. However, I think it's a bit shortsighted (in general, not just of Matt Smith).

The Doctor is such an iconic role that will be remembered for generations. On the other hand, the odds are that any of them who come to the States will get bit parts and 2nd rate roles that will quickly be forgotten.

Sure, there's the possibility that they'll hit it huge, but that's unlikely. And, given that he has already landed the role of a lifetime, well, I wouldn't be so quick to give it up!

It's probably a tough position to be in too. They don't want to be typecast. But, Tom Baker is beloved for his 7 years on Doctor Who, not his one-shot guest role in Remington Steele!

Mr Awe
You hit the nail on the head with Type-casting. Tom Baker couldn't get any other big roles when he left Doctor Who. So, sure, he had an iconic role (And due to Big Finish, it's providing him a decent income in his later years), but, how much money might he have made all those years in between, if he had only stayed for 2 or 3 years and therefore had an easier time getting other big roles?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 06:01 PM   #23
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

They don't want to be typecast. But, Tom Baker is beloved for his 7 years on Doctor Who, not his one-shot guest role in Remington Steele!
It didn't do his career much good. Tennant has had more high profile leading roles in three years since he left than Baker had in thirty.
Never said it did.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
You hit the nail on the head with Type-casting. Tom Baker couldn't get any other big roles when he left Doctor Who. So, sure, he had an iconic role (And due to Big Finish, it's providing him a decent income in his later years), but, how much money might he have made all those years in between, if he had only stayed for 2 or 3 years and therefore had an easier time getting other big roles?
Agree that typecasting is an issue. Still, it's hard to hit it big as an actor in the US. So, it's a tradeoff.

Stay in an iconic role, but be typecast. Or, leave and have a small chance of hitting it big.

I'm not begrudging anyone for leaving the role and trying. I can see the motivation and totally respect the decision. But, the odds are not in their favor. Simple fact.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 07:41 PM   #24
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

I'll remind folks that the original cast of Star Trek were typecast here in the states with less than a full three year run. I'd love to see Matt Smith hit it big, but he just doesn't have the looks for it here in the States.
Old May 7 2013, 09:48 PM   #25
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

I suppose he could manage romcomcs, and there's always villains. Hollywood loves to cast Brits as villains. Elementary needs a Moriarty.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 09:52 PM   #26
The Wormhole
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
No. The tenth Doctor said he was 903 in "Voyage of the Damned," and in "Flesh and Stone" the eleventh Doctor said he was 907. It may have been RTD's intention (I know it was certainly talked about), but a lengthy gap before "The End of Time" never materialized.
Also, the Doctor tells Wilf in The End of Time he's 906, making it clear that there is no real gap between Waters of Mars and The End of Time, despite earlier intentions.
Old May 7 2013, 10:04 PM   #27
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Never said it did.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Agree that typecasting is an issue. Still, it's hard to hit it big as an actor in the US. So, it's a tradeoff.

Stay in an iconic role, but be typecast. Or, leave and have a small chance of hitting it big.

I'm not begrudging anyone for leaving the role and trying. I can see the motivation and totally respect the decision. But, the odds are not in their favor. Simple fact.

Mr Awe
Even so - isn't Smith on buttons compared to what the previous two doctors were getting?* Even a couple of failed things are likely to be decent earners for him relative to Dr. Who. Moreover, the idea that the odds are against him is surely even better at the start of his career than now?

* partly because of when he signed - at the peak of the BBC pay scandal.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 10:33 PM   #28
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

You know, honestily, I wouldn't put too much stock into what the Doctor says his age is. I think there's been at least decades, if not centuries worth of years that the Doctor either forgot to count or chooses not to.
Old May 7 2013, 10:39 PM   #29
Jax
Admiral

I think Smith will film one more season and then go, From the looks of it after the end of this season we have just a one off special and Christmas special and then the show returns to an April start. Now if the BBC split the seasons up I could see Smith leaving next May halfway through as maybe Moffat would prefer that but if the BBC air it in one go then He'll go until episode 13.
Old May 7 2013, 10:42 PM   #30
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Does that mean Smith is now in the run for longest lasting Doctor?
Both Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann have nine years.

SM - 1987 --> 1996
PM - 1996 --> 2005
That's only how long they've been considered as the present doctor, but remember McGann is actually the doctor with the shortest screen time.

Although McCoy most likely lasted longer than the rest due to his aging for a start, I categorise longest serving doctor as the doctor who has been the latest doctor while the series was still on air. So I don't really say for example "The McCoy years- 1987-1996" as he only cameos in the 96 film really, so I classify the McCoy years as 87-89. But that's just me. In my mind, Tom Baker is and always has been the longest serving doctor.

If we're doing it with most stories, Tennant wins as he's been in the show longer than Smith so far, Eccleston only lasted a series, and the others were in serials.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote