Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 29 2013, 11:09 PM   #136
Green Lantern
Captain

Re: Matt Smith confirmed for series 8

Psion wrote: View Post
Green Lantern wrote: View Post
I'd also like to see Smith go beyond Moffat, I want to see what he'd be like under different management.
This. I have never agreed with anything you've posted so much as this one sentence. I hate to say that I think the writing is holding Smith back from being the most extraordinary Doctor ever.
I know right. When I first saw Matt Smith at the end of The End of Time, I immediately though "fuck this guy is crazy nd awesome! He's going to become my favourite in like two episodes!" but thanks to Moffats dull writing, it never happened. Under RTDs reign, by now Smith would have become the greatest doctor ever by far. Although I love Tennant, I feel that I would have enjoyed it more with Smith when RTD was in charge. Tennant is my favourite doctor, but if he was around in Moffats reign, unfortunetley I have a feeling he'd be in my bottom three doctors ever.

I just beg to see Smith in some non Moffat stories, I want to see him completely insane like I thought he was going to be when I first saw him. He kind of had that insane feel in the Eleventh Hour and if more of the stories were like that one, chances are Smith may have overtaken Tennant by now, but unfortunately by the Beast Bellow, all the fun and craziness was gone, and by Victory of the Daleks, all hope was gone.
Konata Izumi wrote: View Post
I don't know what people's problem with 11 is - they made him purposefully dickish in Series 6, which annoys many, but for the last 14 episodes he's been a completely different cuddly uncle type.
He was kinda like that in episodes such as closing time. The only episode I can remember hating him thinking that he's become and utter bastard was in the girl who waited where Amy was like this boring 5 year old. Still in my books as one of the worst episodes of all time. The Doctor was an asshole, Rory was whinier and more annoying than ever, and Amy was dull and bitter along with a boring storyline that never picked up and awful robots which looked like something designed in the 80s and just revamped by an eleven year old in five minutes.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 11:27 PM   #137
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I think The Name of The Doctor was better written than damn near anything RTD has ever done. Children of Earth was excellent though.

...the girl who waited.... Still in my books as one of the worst episodes of all time.
This is one of the worst opinions of all-time . That story was wonderfully complicated and ideas-driven, far superior to the simplistic cookie-cutter shit you're demanding the show return to being.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2013, 11:45 PM   #138
Green Lantern
Captain

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I think The Name of The Doctor was better written than damn near anything RTD has ever done. Children of Earth was excellent though.

...the girl who waited.... Still in my books as one of the worst episodes of all time.
This is one of the worst opinions of all-time . That story was wonderfully complicated and ideas-driven, far superior to the simplistic cookie-cutter shit you're demanding the show return to being.
I liked the old doctors and was enjoyable, but I lacked something that a lot of RTD scripts has and that's fun. Was not really that fun. Children of Earth was the worst Torchwood out of the four, although it was okay. Personally, I prefer the first two series.

Err. It is the dullest episode ever, only complete stupid pieces of shit like a Christmas carol, the doctor, the widow and the wardrobe, and that god awful "ganger" two parter. Even Th rings of ankatem or whatever was better than that.

I can't stand the complicated nature of most of Moffats scripts. I can't understand half of them, and that's mainly because the story doesn't suck me in so I don't pay attention. Plus stories like the journey to the centre left me utterly confused and I just couldn't explain it.

I don't want the show to become utterly shit stupid and too easy, but I don't want it to stay overly complicated with about ten plot twists every five minutes, I want the middle man, I want moderation. Just not too predictable, but not to hard to understand either.

It feels like hard work watching a lot of Moffat era stories like Journey to the centre of the TARDIS and the likes, so then I just give up and not pay so much attention so it's even harder to get what's going on, and the vicious circle goes like that.
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 12:54 AM   #139
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^ Sucks to be you. Meanwhile, I've been loving the Moffat era!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:03 AM   #140
Relayer1
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^^ Sucks to be you. Meanwhile, I've been loving the Moffat era!
Yup.
Old May 30 2013, 01:05 AM   #141
Konata Izumi
Commander

^^^Have you tried subtitles? I watched the whole of Sylvester McCoy's era without a clue to what was going on, but in many shows I don't zone out so easily with subs.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:34 AM   #142
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Another vote for loving The Girl Who Waited and the Moffat era in General.

Oh, and A Christmas Carol was the best Regular Series Christmas Episode, IMHO (Not including End of Time, it lumps in with "The Year of Specials" for me, not The Xmas Specials)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 01:45 AM   #143
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

@ Green Lantern:

With all due respect, aren't you still like 15 or something? You'll appreciate the more mature "complicated" plotting as you get older. I'm not a huge Moffat fanboy, but he has had more hits than misses, and The Girl Who Waited in particular was brilliant.

In a relevant example, Star Trek DS9 ended when I was your age. I watched it and convinced myself I enjoyed it, but truth be told I appreciated TNG reruns more and some of the themes were lost on me. Later, when I watched DS9 again at 22, I was bowled over and appreciated it like never before. And really, TNG opened up for me, too when I was older.

Moffat's Who still has that popcorn zaniness sometimes but the themes are a cut above the RTD era, and the plotting more nuanced. You might see things later that are lost on you now.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 02:21 AM   #144
Konata Izumi
Commander

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Oh, and A Christmas Carol was the best Regular Series Christmas Episode, IMHO (Not including End of Time, it lumps in with "The Year of Specials" for me, not The Xmas Specials)
Agree about A Christmas Carol. It's delightfully grotesque. And it's the one with the most content for the extra runtime.

Like The End of Time as a surrealist culmination of the era's themes. It's not crudely mechanical like Series 4.
Old May 30 2013, 04:53 AM   #145
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

I just beg to see Smith in some non Moffat stories.
I don't know if you're aware of this, but what you're asking for does exist. RTD ran a spin-off series called the Sarah Jane Adventures. In its fourth season, he did a two-parter called "Death of the Doctor" which was effectively Russell (as in, not Moffat) writing Smith for an hour.
Old May 30 2013, 08:57 AM   #146
Starkers
Admiral

sttngfan1701d wrote: View Post
@ Green Lantern:

With all due respect, aren't you still like 15 or something?
Hey this is the internet, for all we know GL is a 65 year old spinster called Doris

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
I just beg to see Smith in some non Moffat stories.
I don't know if you're aware of this, but what you're asking for does exist. RTD ran a spin-off series called the Sarah Jane Adventures. In its fourth season, he did a two-parter called "Death of the Doctor" which was effectively Russell (as in, not Moffat) writing Smith for an hour.
And, imo, RTD didn't write Smith anywhere near as well as Moffat and other writers do.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 10:10 AM   #147
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I can't stand the complicated nature of most of Moffats scripts. I can't understand half of them, and that's mainly because the story doesn't suck me in so I don't pay attention. Plus stories like the journey to the centre left me utterly confused and I just couldn't explain it.

I don't want the show to become utterly shit stupid and too easy, but I don't want it to stay overly complicated with about ten plot twists every five minutes, I want the middle man, I want moderation. Just not too predictable, but not to hard to understand either.

It feels like hard work watching a lot of Moffat era stories like Journey to the centre of the TARDIS and the likes, so then I just give up and not pay so much attention so it's even harder to get what's going on, and the vicious circle goes like that.
It's not though, just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean lots of people don't. The fact you claim it's complicated and thus you don't understand it and you don't like it is more telling about you than anyone else.

As for the Girl that Waited, that was one of the single most excellent episodes of Who.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2013, 11:30 AM   #148
Konata Izumi
Commander

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
It's not though, just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean lots of people don't.
Everyone knows they don't.
Old May 30 2013, 06:47 PM   #149
chelly
Lieutenant Commander

I don't have any problems with Moffet's stories and I personally think Moffet's story arcs are a lot more interesting then RTD's.
chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2013, 01:14 AM   #150
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

@IanLevine:

"I just heard this rumour - Start date last week in Aug 2014 12 eps. New Doctor. BBC Worldwide email ACCIDENTALLY sent out today to employees"

"Do we think this is true or do we think this is a hoax. Why am I not reading anything online about this. Have they leaked again ?"

"...but the fact remains my rumour comes from a decent source and as such I have to assume true"
New Years or Christmas regen might still be on.