Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 3 2014, 05:09 AM   #1471
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Or some like to needlessly criticize it without thinking twice about it and just can't admit when they're wrong.

And of course, we all know that on Star Trek they had a rectal transporter.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 05:15 AM   #1472
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
This episode of The Walking Dead was brought to you by Peach Schnapps.

An... okay episode. Mostly a character episode for Beth and Daryl and, really, I think this is the first, pure, character-driven "filler episode" the series has had. With a limited number of episodes they usually run pretty tight and avoid these types of episodes. But this one was a close to a "bottle episode" as I think this series can get.

Meh episode, and I'd almost dare-say the "worst" episode of the series if only because, I guess, something has to be "last." But it's only "just" last. By a nose or something.

Not to malign the episode any it was just... I dunno.
This episode was about two lines--Beth's:

"you're going to miss me.."

"last man standing"

Seems too telegraphed. Either Beth is right--and she will die (soon), making Daryl's bonding session his personal heart breaker, or TWD's shock-loving producers will kill off most of the main cast, with Beth being one of the last survivors standing (whenever the final season arrives).

Then, there's the preview of next week, where Daryl is running without you know who.
Old March 3 2014, 05:39 AM   #1473
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You see, I wasn't sure if she was a dumb kid trying to trick Darryl into taking her virginity, or if she was kindly and enlightened Angel trying to rebuild his busted up soul... Which is why I was trying to figure out what side of thirty Norman is on... He's 45.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 06:15 AM   #1474
sojourner
Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

Again, some really love trying to defend things that have no relation to reality.
Yep, batteries have a terrible shelf life. Only about 10 years.
Yep, 10 years here too.

As for cars, we've seen functioning cars on the show. You know, being driven? Talk about denial.

Now, about reality, you might want to investigate it.

Good thing about those batteries in reality holding a charge for 10 years. Came in handy when they found those flashlights on tonight's episode.
Old March 3 2014, 06:17 AM   #1475
Mojochi
Commodore

I have to admit, even though I love me some Beth, these four episodes have been on the whole rather dull
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 07:02 AM   #1476
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Mojochi wrote: View Post
I have to admit, even though I love me some Beth, these four episodes have been on the whole rather dull
Well, after the Governor's finale they could not leap into the er--next big thing. In any case, the producers have promised the show is going to get "crazy" before the season is said and done, and i'm betting that starts next week.
Old March 3 2014, 07:07 AM   #1477
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I love Daryl---LOVE him, like in "If Daryl dies, we riot" love him---but I thought this episode was a bit thin. The opening scene of hiding in the trunk while the herd of walkers goes by was chilling. I loved how, when they got out, you saw all the muddy footprints. YIKES. But the rest of it---meh. A teensy bit skimpy.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 07:34 AM   #1478
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I'm about to watch the Talking dead. They are very food themed this year. I wonder if they barbecued some snake meat or if Chris Hardwick is just going to be handing out gummy snakes to the audience?

Old March 3 2014, 07:56 AM   #1479
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Thank god someone finally hugged Daryl. He is a man who needs a hug.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 08:17 AM   #1480
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Again, some really love trying to defend things that have no relation to reality.
And you're okay with dead people walking around and eating the living.
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 08:35 AM   #1481
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

"My mom's been fuckin' a dead guy for thirty years, I call him dad."

Old March 3 2014, 11:54 AM   #1482
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Well, that episode happened. I'm half-remembering a quote I heard somewhere (forgive me, I just got up on a Monday morning) to the effect that you can either be good or you can be bad, you just can't be forgettable. I think that was the failing of this episode. It's not horrible (and certainly not good) and that's its sin.

Not that it's that great, either, mind you. I get the symbolism going on here: Beth transition into womanhood (as The Talking Dead) mentioned and showing her strength by facing something that was a weakness of her father's. Also, Daryl burning down a symbol of his childhood. However, the stupidity that lead to these things, well, that's what I had a problem with.

Beth says you're not allowed to cry during the zombie apocalypse. First, someone should have told that to Rick. And second, if you're not allowed to cry, why then are you allowed to get drunk? I mean does that ever work out for anyone in horror movies? And if it had been more than one walker outside the cabin, Daryl and Beth would not have had any right to still be alive. In the CDC, yeah, fine, get drunk. Hell, even in the prison I could understand it, but not on the run, separated from your group in a cabin that is barely a defensible position.

And, though personally, I'm all for Occupy Wall street and fighting the 1%, even I felt that was shoehorned into the episode through the golf club. Talking Dead confirmed that the hanging walkers were the rich members of the club hung by the staff. Not to mention the "Rich Bitch."
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 11:58 AM   #1483
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
"My mom's been fuckin' a dead guy for thirty years, I call him dad."
"No time for love Doctor Jones."
Saga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 12:25 PM   #1484
Mojochi
Commodore

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I love Daryl---LOVE him, like in "If Daryl dies, we riot" love him---but I thought this episode was a bit thin. The opening scene of hiding in the trunk while the herd of walkers goes by was chilling. I loved how, when they got out, you saw all the muddy footprints. YIKES. But the rest of it---meh. A teensy bit skimpy.
Yeah, the trunk scene was pretty cool. I also enjoyed them slipping in the little concealed fire pit scene where Beth uses sunlight to start the fire. I'd like to see more of that simple survivalist type stuff tossed in the background. Not so much that it robs the story telling, but as a garnish, it can be cool
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 12:46 PM   #1485
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Well just as I thought, a pretty boring episode, pretty sad they are giving us fluff episodes this late in the season when there is plenty of story that could be told.

Some things that drove me nuts.

When Beth got the blood splattered all over her new shirt, why didn't she just go get another on? or take 2-3 with her?

How did the arrow/s Daryl shot at the walker pin him to the tree? why didn't it keep walking forward until they just past through him?

Why are you getting drunk when you are on the run?

The whole burning of the shack in IMO was stupid, why not stay there for the night and leave in the morning When it's light out and your not stumbling around the woods in the dark and half drunk?
Not only that you are drawing all the Walkers right to your location with that huge fire, there was obviously a herd at the beginning of the episode, what if you draw them right to the path you are taking?

Also, why burn down a semi safe zone that you (or someone else) could potentially use again?

Last edited by PKerr; March 3 2014 at 03:13 PM.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote