RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,956
Members: 25,505
Currently online: 381
Newest member: Jaxonii

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old March 1 2014, 02:38 PM   #1456
Scout101
Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Of course, while you're arguing about gas and saying that charging things from cars wouldn't be an issue, ever tried starting a car that's been sitting for more than a couple months? Batteries die pretty fast when you don't maintain them. Even putting my motorcycle away for the winter, gotta recharge it before installing it again, or it just won't do anything. SO even if the gas is kinda good, no way to get the battery to get enough charge to try and USE the gas...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 02:41 PM   #1457
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I actually linked to a solar charger. I think I confused a few people when I also mentioned that I keep one in my car; the former is in no way reliant on the latter.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 05:57 PM   #1458
PKerr
Rear Admiral

The 17 Most Ridiculous Things on 'The Walking Dead' + Spoilers
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 11:37 PM   #1459
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Of course, while you're arguing about gas and saying that charging things from cars wouldn't be an issue, ever tried starting a car that's been sitting for more than a couple months? Batteries die pretty fast when you don't maintain them.
That's true, but it's not quite the same as the gas. Batteries self-discharge over time if you don't maintain them, but they can still be recharged after they've gone flat. From a generator, from solar panels, etc. In a pinch, you could run jumper cables from other vehicles nearby if their batteries hold any leftover charge at all and use the combination to jump-start yours. Or you could just push-start a car with manual transmission.

As long as you can get the car started, you'll get power from the alternator and it will recharge the battery if it can still hold a charge. (If it can't, you'll have a tough time restarting after you shut off the engine. But still.)

It's true that leaving a battery in a flat state will shorten its life so that eventually it won't hold a charge anymore. I'm not sure of the timeframe there, but I'd bet that even after two years there would be SOME batteries around that could still be recharged.

Regardless, they can plausibly run a car one way or another and get power from it — as long as there's an answer to the fuel issue. So it comes back to that.

What's still implausible, of course, is that the characters can simply walk up to an abandoned car without taking any of the measures I mentioned and expect it to turn over after two years.

But I'll give them a bye on that since there are enough ways to handwave it. Unlike the fuel.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 11:59 PM   #1460
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

A few episodes we did see Daryl have to change the battery in a car in they acquired since the one in the car was dry and had no charge. He found a battery in the nearby shop that still had some charge to it, enough to at least start the car. (After that the car would run on the alternator.)

The gas thing we may just have to handwave and ignore until/unless it's specifically addressed in the show that viable fuel is becoming more and more scarce. One advantage with diesel engines is that they can run on vegetable oil. Granted, doing it on straight oil has a number of problems and cars that do it today need some modifications to do it efficiently and to not clog or damage the engine but when you can just go grab another car in the ZA this wouldn't be *too* much of a problem.

Again, I think the fuel thing I can "mostly" hand-wave away. And, hell, even finding canned and packaged foods at this point isn't too dangerous or risky. (Again, we're only 18 months to two years out)

Now what *is* hard to swallow is Rick keeping his facial hair perfectly trimmed at "sexy stubble" levels rather than him just being shaved or having a full-on beard. Seems to me a beard trimmer to keep it at perfect stubble levels would be more work than it's worth given everything going on. We could also argue why it's worth it for the women to keep doing things like shaving their legs and arm-pit hair (other than for TV reasons, to make actresses look good) or even dying their hair. (Maggie's gone through two or three hair colors since the character was introduced. Hell, even Daryl seems to have died his hair at some point!)

The 8-9 months everyone was on the run between after the fall of Hershel's farm and before finding the prison and Rick was in full-on Ricktator mode did they really sit around the campfires at night and watch Maggie Lori and Beth as they shaved their legs and armpits?

Hell, even Andrea and Michonne seemed to find time to keep themselves somewhat clean and civilized looking and they seemed to be operating under harsher conditions than the other survivors!
Old March 2 2014, 08:20 AM   #1461
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The gas thing we may just have to handwave and ignore until/unless it's specifically addressed in the show that viable fuel is becoming more and more scarce. One advantage with diesel engines is that they can run on vegetable oil. Granted, doing it on straight oil has a number of problems and cars that do it today need some modifications to do it efficiently and to not clog or damage the engine but when you can just go grab another car in the ZA this wouldn't be *too* much of a problem.
I was envisioning that they could make bio-diesel from the vegetable oil and the turpentine that forms from old gasoline. Apparently those are the ingredients. But I read around and it appears that old gas doesn't literally turn to turpentine. I guess that's a misunderstanding. I'm not clear what it does turn into and whether it could still be used as fuel in some way.

Still, if we just envisioned that scouting parties made a point of either carrying or scavenging a gallon of vegetable oil, that would explain how a car could reliably run with supposedly old fuel when picked up off the street. Just make sure it's a diesel, dump your oil in the tank, and go. (Maybe drain the old stuff out of the tank first. )
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 08:27 AM   #1462
sojourner
Admiral

The hard part would be finding enough diesel cars in the U.S.
Old March 2 2014, 12:49 PM   #1463
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

sojourner wrote: View Post
The hard part would be finding enough diesel cars in the U.S.
Eh, it's the south. I'm sure there's a lot of diesel trucks laying around.
Old March 2 2014, 02:21 PM   #1464
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Arguing that they don't have any way to recharge an ipod is like arguing that no one in the Star Trek universe ever takes a crap because we never saw a toilet.
No, it is not. On ST, we know characters must rid their bodies of waste material, so toilets are assumed to be around. That's never a question. However, on a series where the entire land's power grid has gone bye-bye (now for nearly two in-story years), and batteries lose the ability to hold a charge after a good amount of time, plus that lack of any chargers, electricity, etc. (Rick did not have solar power at the prison, and there's that gasoline matter), the ipod issue stands out.

...just like another member pointing out Rick's designer stubble, Maggie's changing hair color, etc.

Remember, TWD is set in the present day, not in the far future (ex. Star Trek), where it is pointless to hammer technology (or access) that do not or will never exist. TWD's producers pride themselves on how "real" the show is, so when errors (or lazy writing) occur, it stands out.
Old March 2 2014, 05:34 PM   #1465
sojourner
Admiral

First, let me get this out.....

OK, dude. I have AA batteries in my house that are over 5 years old sitting in a drawer that I use for TV remotes. They're still good.

I have flashlights that I use periodically that have batteries over 3 years old in them.

Finding working batteries 2 years in to a zombie apocalypse is a non-issue.

Recharging rechargeable batteries using cars is a non-issue.

The Ipod issue is only an issue for someone who has no experience with batteries.

You're better off complaining about hair color changes and stubble.
Old March 2 2014, 06:55 PM   #1466
PKerr
Rear Admiral

OK, dude. I have AA batteries in my house that are over 5 years old sitting in a drawer that I use for TV remotes. They're still good.

I have flashlights that I use periodically that have batteries over 3 years old in them.

Finding working batteries 2 years in to a zombie apocalypse is a non-issue.

The Ipod issue is only an issue for someone who has no experience with batteries.

You're better off complaining about hair color changes and stubble.
I am truly amazed this debate is still going on.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 08:26 PM   #1467
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

That's a damn good point actually. Keep one car in good condition and put in a small amount of petrol/gas, you not only get the wheels (tires removed) going for running a generator of sorts for a small house/hut as well, you'd have the 200 different chargers for handheld devices for any of them still running stationary or on the road.
Old March 2 2014, 09:48 PM   #1468
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

I've had the same set of batteries in my Blu-Ray player remote, that I use frequently for almost three years before they died and needed replacing.
Old March 3 2014, 04:40 AM   #1469
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

This episode of The Walking Dead was brought to you by Peach Schnapps.

An... okay episode. Mostly a character episode for Beth and Daryl and, really, I think this is the first, pure, character-driven "filler episode" the series has had. With a limited number of episodes they usually run pretty tight and avoid these types of episodes. But this one was a close to a "bottle episode" as I think this series can get.

Meh episode, and I'd almost dare-say the "worst" episode of the series if only because, I guess, something has to be "last." But it's only "just" last. By a nose or something.

Not to malign the episode any it was just... I dunno.
Old March 3 2014, 05:04 AM   #1470
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

...at the sheer desperation of defending TWD's implausible convenience of assets!

I'm not not buying that, as the average battery will lose juice sitting in the package on a store shelf, and once used, a battery has a shorter lifespan.

As noted by others, a car sitting for years would not be a source.

Again, some really love trying to defend things that have no relation to reality.