RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,543
Members: 25,800
Currently online: 443
Newest member: Legokid599

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old January 22 2014, 05:46 AM   #1096
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Keep in mind "all of season 2" was probably only a few weeks since the end of Season 1.
That's difficult to say; to this day, fans argue about how much time was spent on the road after the CDC / before the freeway, at Hershel's farm, the time in the prison during season 3, etc.
Old January 22 2014, 05:50 AM   #1097
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
And?
...and Rick's group hardly said a word about the very thing threatening their survival at every turn (beyond actual walker content).

The scenes with Milton and his wacky New Age "experiments" were not addressing the "how," but trying to appease the head psycho with finding some way to communicate with zombies (like the Governor's daughter). That's after the fact "management," not trying to understand its origin.
Old January 22 2014, 08:50 AM   #1098
sojourner
Admiral

So, what do you expect these people to do exactly? Not one of them even knows how to work a microscope. Do you really think any idea they come up with will hold water or lead to a cure or something? They could spend 10 minutes every episode making wild ass guesses and it wouldn't help a damn thing. This group just has no way of finding out on their own. You'd have to introduce some Dues Ex Machina worse than the CDC episode.

"Day 643, Carl thinks space aliens did it. He may be right. We have no way to know"
"Day 984, Carl's little band of alien worshipers tried to feed me to some walkers. I shot Carl and friends"
"Day 989, I think it was that whole Mayan calendar shit"
"Day 1035, Michonne has debased Quetzalcoatl, a sacrifice must be made to appease him"
"Day 1498, Lol, turns out this was all a holodeck simulation with the safety interlocks disabled"

Last edited by sojourner; January 22 2014 at 09:00 AM.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 12:17 PM   #1099
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Keep in mind "all of season 2" was probably only a few weeks since the end of Season 1.
That's difficult to say; to this day, fans argue about how much time was spent on the road after the CDC / before the freeway, at Hershel's farm, the time in the prison during season 3, etc.
At the beginning of the season we see them on their way to the Fort Benning and taking gas from the cars on the road when stopped (additionally Dale is still having trouble with the radiator hose on the RV.) AMOF there's still talk about going to Benning and there's still tension between Lori and Shane over his drunken behavior at the CDC and tension between Andrea and Dale over him "saving" her at the CDC. So the start of S2 cannot be more than a day away from the end of S1, hell it's probably still that SAME day.

The time spent a Hershel's farm is harder to determine but likely a few weeks. And even that's hard to get behind since I doubt given the tensions Hershel would have put up with the group that long, that even Rick would've looked for Sophia that long (until the mid-season finale) but it may have taken that long for Carl to recover from his injury.

The time between S2 and S3 is obviously 8 or 9 months using Lori's pregnancy as the guide, the time span of 2 is probably a few weeks to a couple of months using the aging of Julia as a guide.

Last edited by Trekker4747; January 22 2014 at 09:56 PM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 04:43 PM   #1100
sojourner
Admiral

You mean S3 and Judith?
Old January 22 2014, 06:27 PM   #1101
Ryan8bit
Commodore

So, what do you expect these people to do exactly?
Yeah, really. It doesn't matter if they figure out how it happened. That will have no impact on these characters or their current situation. Even if they find out what it is, it's unlikely they'd be able to even do anything about it.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 07:35 PM   #1102
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Yeah, really. It doesn't matter if they figure out how it happened. That will have no impact on these characters or their current situation. Even if they find out what it is, it's unlikely they'd be able to even do anything about it.
I don't find it odd that posters on a StarTrek site want to make sense of this virus - biologically, scientifically, or even for the plots to mesh with real science. However, that's not what the comic book is about and not what the TV show is about.

The story is however about generally human nature in a disaster and specifically about a former police officer and a group of individuals trying to retain their humanity while the world melts down in front of their eyes.

So if you expect TWD to be about real science you'd better tune out because it has not nor ever will be about that.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 08:11 PM   #1103
Borgminister

No Bill Nye the Zombie Guy here, folks...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 11:15 PM   #1104
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

So, what do you expect these people to do exactly? Not one of them even knows how to work a microscope.
Hershel, perhaps ... but even if his background qualified him as a researcher, he certainly hasn't had access to the resources.

And of course there's Dr. Caleb and Dr. Bob, or whatever their names are. (Insert "Veterinarian's Hospital" joke here. ) Heck, for all we know one or both of them were part of a research project before this.

And if they were? What would they say? We already know how the phenomenon works and that there's no cure. So anything they'd say wouldn't add measurably to the show. Would it add a little more depth to the proceedings? Sure! Is it necessary? Probably not.

DarthTom wrote: View Post
The story is however about generally human nature in a disaster and specifically about a former police officer and a group of individuals trying to retain their humanity while the world melts down in front of their eyes.

So if you expect TWD to be about real science you'd better tune out because it has not nor ever will be about that.
Except for the science of psychology, which it handles fine. Beyond that, the theme of the show is exactly as you described. Thematically it's also highly similar to nuBSG, which I watched and enjoyed for the same reasons ... despite the fact that the science of the Cylons didn't make any more sense.

The title "The Walking Dead" doesn't refer to the zombies. It refers to Rick's band of survivors. So trying to expand on the zombie plague, or fit it into a real-science framework, or anything similar, misses the point.
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 09:33 AM   #1105
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
The title "The Walking Dead" doesn't refer to the zombies. It refers to Rick's band of survivors. So trying to expand on the zombie plague, or fit it into a real-science framework, or anything similar, misses the point.
Missing the point is a series that (like every AMC series) prides itself on being so "real," yet do not follow their own back-patting in the scripts. Again, no one said the show was about the cure (and I find it sort of interesting/telling that some of you are going overboard to defend the suggestion of characters behaving realistically in even discussing it).

Then again, this is the same series where characters--in soap opera fashion--tolerate the intolerable from others for incredibly long periods of time, such as Andrea and the Governor (not killing him when anyone else would, and still defending him against Michonne). Or how about anyone not killing Shane when his every waking moment in season 2 was being an instigating, threatening ass. Yeah, if your behavior toward your so-called best friend/"brother" is more hostile/threatening than not (and having a good idea about the Lori matter's implications), how safe are the others he was not close to? Yeah.

In reality, people are killed for less, but this series tries to play the "real" card where human behavior is concerned...selectively.
Old January 24 2014, 12:15 PM   #1106
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I won't try to defend the inconsistencies other than to say real people also have some screwed-up priorities. But I'd point out that "incredibly long" for us was somewhat shorter in the show's timeframe.
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 12:18 PM   #1107
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Missing the point is a series that (like every AMC series) prides itself on being so "real," yet do not follow their own back-patting in the scripts. Again, no one said the show was about the cure (and I find it sort of interesting/telling that some of you are going overboard to defend the suggestion of characters behaving realistically in even discussing it).

Then again, this is the same series where characters--in soap opera fashion--tolerate the intolerable from others for incredibly long periods of time, such as Andrea and the Governor (not killing him when anyone else would, and still defending him against Michonne). Or how about anyone not killing Shane when his every waking moment in season 2 was being an instigating, threatening ass. Yeah, if your behavior toward your so-called best friend/"brother" is more hostile/threatening than not (and having a good idea about the Lori matter's implications), how safe are the others he was not close to? Yeah.

In reality, people are killed for less, but this series tries to play the "real" card where human behavior is concerned...selectively.
Interesting that you think people would/should so easily be able to drop everything humanity and society has taught them and just kill someone because they're being kind of an ass.
Old January 24 2014, 12:49 PM   #1108
Scout101
Admiral

Use "exile" instead of "kill" if it makes the point easier to accept. You wouldn't keep him around either way...

And yeah, no one really wants them to build a lab and try to cure this thing. But since we came in after the outbreak had finished its job, we'd (or I'd, if you prefer) like to see more about what happened and why. Wouldn't change a thing, just fill in the story a bit. And since all the characters except Rick (which is where we came in) actually lived through that part, seems like they should have a rough idea of timeline or what was going on. Fill that in a little as we go, that's all. That's why the CDC part was so frustrating. No one wants a cure, they want more info on what HAPPENED. Got a small tease at the beginning of the series, and then they considered it all done whereas I'd like more...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 05:33 PM   #1109
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Missing the point is a series that (like every AMC series) prides itself on being so "real,"
It does? I'm not seeing it.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 07:02 PM   #1110
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

^^

Anyone here the latest news about the Cannibal rat ghost ship currently sailing around the Atlantic. It's one of the oddest stories I've heard lately where a ship being hauled to be de-commissioned somehow got disconnected from its tow ship. As a result they are speculating that it's filled with rats that now have turned cannibal on each other.

Got me thinking about TWD. The rat population is very dependent upon human scraps to survive. In the Walking Dead world, would the rats also turn against the remaining human population for food?

Such an episode sure would make grizzly storyline.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote