Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 4 2013, 03:24 PM   #901
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Marten wrote: View Post
Is a tank really that easy to take out with a grenade? I'd imagine the cannon would take a beating, but the crew compartment shouldn't really explode, should it?
The only way it would happen like in the episode would be if the gun's breech happened to be open and the grenade fell all the way out the back end. Otherwise, yes, if the breech was locked the explosion and main damage would be confined to the gun.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 03:50 PM   #902
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^Unless there was a round in the chamber, in which case, yeah. Most likely tank and all the spare ammo go boom.

Even if that's not the case, I'm pretty sure a grenade is significantly more energetic than a shell charge. On it's own it may well be able to detonate the magazine.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 04:36 PM   #903
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
I don't think it was THAT stupid. The area where the girl was hanging out SHOULD have been safe. It was clear for hundreds of yards-- plenty of room to run.

Since they've been camped out there for a while, and based on others' experience, there should NOT have been any walkers that could have come OUT OF THE GROUND. The water should have protected them. The sign was for our benefit to explain hidden dangers.

Her mom was in fact worried about the walker she did see...and despite hearing that the water would protect them, she saw the walker still coming...until finally washed away. But by then it was too late.

So not so crazy,,,mom was doing "work" (watching for Walkers from a good vantage point) while her daughter should have been safe, having"fun", and not bothering mom.
No, it was pretty stupid. It wasn't at all that open of an area, and Meghan was playing in the sand right next to the edge of a wooded area. Barring a zombie coming out of the ground, it was actually really possible that one would come out of the woods and Meghan would still be zombie food.

And Lilly was way too far away from her kid. What was she, like 50 yards away? It's just one of those contrivances so that they could show a cool scene of a zombie coming out of the ground. The show is chock full of them.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 06:03 PM   #904
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
And that's really the most satisfying option, no? Daryl's character wouldn't be served well by some dippy little airhead. If TPTB make him a teen dream.....ugh. No. Just please....no.
Dippy little airhead? We're not talking about Lori or Andrea here, I don't think that's a fair way to describe Beth.

And it's still not as big of an age gap as Comics!Andrea and Comics!Dale. She's quite a big younger there, I'd say no more than 26. Beth's 18 and Daryl's... let's say 44 for argument, Norman Reedu's age. That's 26 years - uncomfortably large in the regular world, for sure - but still not the 40-ish years and Dale and Andrea. And this is a post-ZA world after all.

It's probably not gonna happen, but it's fun to think about.
Old December 4 2013, 06:36 PM   #905
sojourner
Admiral

I actually think Daryl would go the whole "southern gentleman" route and feel a bit honor bound to protect Beth and not get involved with her. Considering his background.
Old December 4 2013, 07:25 PM   #906
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, there's a lot of fuss being kicked up here over a relationship that doesn't even exist. It's patently obvious where Dayrl's interests lie and she only just got exile. Him being protective of the younger females is nothing new. Remember how he nearly killed himself looking for Sophia? Plus just this last episode, the second or third thought he voices after finding out that Carol is gone is concern for the girls.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I gather getting between women and violence is a habit he picked up young.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 07:37 PM   #907
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Pre-Zombie Apocalypse, in a functioning Society, I'm generally opposed to barely 20/Mid 40s relationships. People, in General are just in two different places in their life, with different Goals (In relation to Kids, Family, Looking out for the Future, Social Activities, etc). There are of course exceptions, but, as a general rule, it's not a relationship that's likely to last.

Post-Zombie Apocalypse, with Society no longer functioning, everyone pretty much has the same goal, to survive another day, week, month... So, I don't really think it's necessary (Or perhaps even desirable) to think of the long term future, you pretty much just grab whatever morsel of happiness life throws at you and enjoy it while you can, so, I don't really see a problem with it

Though, I do admit to being a Carol/Daryll 'shipper
The whole Daryl/Carol thing is so subtle and understated, which is why I appreciate it so much. Shows rarely do that well. I do see what you're saying about post zombie apocalypse expectations and societal mores changing....but I can't see Daryl changing that much that he'd be comfortable romancing a girl who's little more than a child. It's probably an unfair assessment on my part to call her dippy; I think it's her voice. Emily Kinney (at least in character as Beth) sounds soooooo young--like she's 13 or 14 years old and that throws me.

I'm just in dread fear of TPTB forcing some romantic cutesy pie stuff on Daryl when it doesn't fit the character. He's Daryl, not Dylan or Ethan or Ricky Nelson. I don't think they'll go that route, but it doesn't appeal even in theory. Daryl and Carol aren't the youngest, hottest, most beautiful people around. I like the show presenting the possibility that people's feelings can run deeper than the male (co) lead having to be with the hottest young blond available. In a pre-zombie world, would a redneck white supremacist hook up with a plain looking former housewife with 2 "adopted" daughters who's a couple of years older than him? Doubtful. In a post ZA world, two people like that forming a connection out of shared pain is lovely in its own way.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2013, 07:54 PM   #908
sojourner
Admiral

Daryl and Carol are both victims of abuse. They had common ground even without the ZA.
Old December 4 2013, 10:57 PM   #909
thumbtack
Commodore

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I'm just in dread fear of TPTB forcing some romantic cutesy pie stuff on Daryl when it doesn't fit the character.
They won't. Daryl is too awesome to ever get caught blubbering over a mere female. Look at his stone cold reaction to learning Carol was the murderer.
Old December 5 2013, 06:58 AM   #910
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Him being protective of the younger females is nothing new. Remember how he nearly killed himself looking for Sophia? Plus just this last episode, the second or third thought he voices after finding out that Carol is gone is concern for the girls.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I gather getting between women and violence is a habit he picked up young.
sojourner wrote: View Post
Daryl and Carol are both victims of abuse. They had common ground even without the ZA.
Ooh good points. Really I'm happy whichever way they go, although i'm still not too keen on Carol herself right now.
Old December 6 2013, 05:02 AM   #911
blueskin
Ensign

View blueskin's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post

Did we see what happened to Tara? I'm wondering if we'll see her again.
She will recur in the upcoming fourth season with an option to become a regular in Season 5

Episode #4.12 (2014) ... Tara
- Episode #4.16 (2014) ... Tara

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/the-...nna-masterson/
Especially the lies.
blueskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 02:16 PM   #912
Morpheus 02
Commodore

The Walking Dead posted these on their Facebook page, ripe for exploitation by shippers...

Morpheus 02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 03:35 PM   #913
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

HA! I like the second pic better. Oh yeah, Danai Gurai and Norman Reedus posing on the motorcycle together will get some folks worked up into a frenzy. You notice Reedus isn't the interested looking one in either photo.

Actually, I didn't find Daryl's reaction "stone cold." He was like, let's deal with this and "let's find out" what Tyrese will think. He didn't immediately believe Rick's words, either. Then the attack happened and the whole reaction process to what Rick had done was short circuited. Dammit. Though I suppose it's all about eventual payoff. I find it difficult to believe that Melissa McBride is gone for good.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 03:56 PM   #914
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

PKerr wrote: View Post
Me thinks baby Judith is alive and well.
I just re-watched the episode and right after Michonne walks away from the Governor the scene cuts to the tank firing again and Tyreese running away, if you look real close his rifle is slung over his back is holding something that looks like a baby as he runs away, one frame shows what looks to be a head surrounded by yellow, baby Judith was wearing yellow.

I can't explain the blood as Tyreese wasn't bleeding when the girls saved him and there were no bodies around the carrier so I dunno.

I also think Tyreese is going to somehow run into Carol before the group does, they went out of their way to not tell him Carol killed Karen and Dave, even though I think Lizzy is the one that did.
That would be very interesting. Have Tyreese and Carol meet up and spend time together while caring for the baby, only later to reveal Carol is the killer he is looking for.

Of course I also feel like carol might be covering for Lizzy. Can't wait for the second half of the season!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2013, 04:21 PM   #915
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Of course I also feel like carol might be covering for Lizzy. Can't wait for the second half of the season!
Really think about this for a second. Carol abandons her self-imposed role as protector of the group in order to take the blame from a clear and present danger to them? Nonsense.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote