Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 25 2013, 04:23 AM   #736
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

jbny67 wrote: View Post
I'm glad it looks like the Governor side show is over
...only for the series to go from The Walking Dead season 4, to The Walking Dead 3.1, if you understand my point...
Old November 25 2013, 04:24 AM   #737
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Any bets on who meets their maker in the mid season finale next week?
Old November 25 2013, 06:22 AM   #738
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I really hate the Governor's surrogate family. So now the Governor has some troops and a tank(?!?!).
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 06:35 AM   #739
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

Why did the Governor kill Martinez ? I don't get it. Martinez took him and his new family in and even gave them a home.
Old November 25 2013, 06:45 AM   #740
sojourner
Admiral

Why did the scorpion sting the frog?
Old November 25 2013, 07:37 AM   #741
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

These two episodes have been pretty useless. As a character study it is somewhat interesting, but it was just 2 hours of watching The Governor turn into the character he was to begin with. He could have shown back up without them and the net effect on the overall story would be zero.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 08:41 AM   #742
kitik
Commander

I really enjoyed the dead family in the woods, with headless corpses scattered throughout with various notes attached of an accusatory nature. And then follow that up with that surreal scene with all the walkers trapped in that quagmire of a road, preventing the Governor from moving on. Talk about a message from God! The whole thing felt very biblical. He was not being given any other options but to do that which had been right in front of him the whole time.

A reading from the Book of Phillip, Chapter 7, Verse 12: And God gave him a tank.
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 08:52 AM   #743
EmoBorg
Fleet Captain

kitik wrote: View Post
Talk about a message from God! The whole thing felt very biblical. He was not being given any other options but to do that which had been right in front of him the whole time.

A reading from the Book of Phillip, Chapter 7, Verse 12: And God gave him a tank.
Looks like the biblical God has plans for the Governor to be a bad guy again.
Old November 25 2013, 12:19 PM   #744
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Well, I liked these last couple of episodes, found them to be fun and interesting and I say this as someone who's not a big fan of The Governor character or is looking forward to his being back.

I am "disappointed" that it looks like his character arc took him into a circle so he's back where he started -a mustache twirling bad guy who's an evil killer just 'cause. Hopefully the conflict at the prison will end with the fall of the prison and the Governor's death and the series can get a little "back on track."
Old November 25 2013, 02:54 PM   #745
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

kitik wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed the dead family in the woods, with headless corpses scattered throughout with various notes attached of an accusatory nature. And then follow that up with that surreal scene with all the walkers trapped in that quagmire of a road, preventing the Governor from moving on. Talk about a message from God! The whole thing felt very biblical. He was not being given any other options but to do that which had been right in front of him the whole time.
All events could have been a message, but they are the middle of the countryside, and i'm sure there were other roads to take.

I find it funny that a few WD fans thought the Governor was somehow humanized by this new family--specifically Penny 2.0. He's a mass murderer (among other sickening things), and how many times do we need to see this soulless creature use everyone for his own gain (usually ending in torture and death for others) before it is accepted that he is truly evil?

He's not Merle (11th hour change of heart). He's just a mass murderer, and all of the surrogate family fantasies in the world cannot change that.
Old November 25 2013, 03:50 PM   #746
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Why did the Governor kill Martinez ? I don't get it. Martinez took him and his new family in and even gave them a home.
Because Martinez knew him from the old days and was starting to bring it up too much in front of The Governor's new family. Obviously the Governor doesn't want his new family to know about his past.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 03:56 PM   #747
Mojochi
Commodore

He called her pumpkin this week. How long before he just mistakenly calls her Penny?

I got to say, I kind of fall in with the naysayers this week. I sort of wish they'd given us something back at the prison this episode. One episode or 1 & a half would've been enough to cover this Gov. story. Who really gives a crap about Auntie Tara's new love interest? They could have lost that whole bit. Nobody even cares about Tara yet. She's one episode old. When she's dead, I'll just remember her as the fist bump girl. Hell, they only matter in that the Gov. cares about them, & even he only cares about them in a disturbed surrogate kind of way. They are not real characters yet

Next week looks to be the big confrontation. That means. It's likely Carol's return will get postponed now, & Daryl's reaction to Carol being gone will get glossed over or usurped by the new problem. Those ARE real characters we're all invested in, & getting on with their story is more important to the viewer

How the Gov. gets his new Merle is of no real consequence. We kind of all knew he would, & I for one never got sold out of the Gov. being a ruthless man, & buying him redeeming himself. I always knew we were just waiting for the timeout to be over & his 2nd wind to get going

Look at it like this. Had they just started this episode with a cold open of the Gov. standing over the pond & the walker Martinez and Shumpert were at the bottom of it, struggling like Pete was, so that it was obvious that The Gov had taken the group, how much would we really have missed? Then they could have split the episode with an explanation of the Gov's situation & gotten something in about the prison group too, like screen time for Daryl, post carol exile

The only interesting thing this episode showed us was that there's still plenty of human groups out there, & they are actually wiping each other out, which is an even worse aspect to the end of civilization
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 06:15 PM   #748
sojourner
Admiral

I think the preview for next week was a smoke screen. The confrontation with the governor will be a cliffhanger at the end of the episode and we'll spend most of the episode dealing with our group at the prison.
Old November 25 2013, 06:24 PM   #749
Mojochi
Commodore

^To some degree, probably yes, but I suspect there'll still be some conflict happening between the two, if not full blown skirmish
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 08:18 PM   #750
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
These two episodes have been pretty useless. As a character study it is somewhat interesting, but it was just 2 hours of watching The Governor turn into the character he was to begin with. He could have shown back up without them and the net effect on the overall story would be zero.
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
I find it funny that a few WD fans thought the Governor was somehow humanized by this new family--specifically Penny 2.0. He's a mass murderer ... and how many times do we need to see ... that he is truly evil?

He's not Merle (11th hour change of heart). He's just a mass murderer, and all of the surrogate family fantasies in the world cannot change that.
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I am "disappointed" that it looks like his character arc took him into a circle so he's back where he started -a mustache twirling bad guy who's an evil killer just 'cause.
We were supposed to think it was an arc where he was humanized again, and then fell again. Actually he was the same character the whole time. Martinez thought he had changed too, but he hadn't. Martinez didn't know him well enough.

Unlike Martinez, we were given some insight into what drives him. He's a twisted, disturbed, mass-murdering individual all right, but he's also more than just a mustache-twirling villain.

Basically: when he "cares about" someone, it brings out some sort of paternal/protective behavior to a totally obsessive degree. It's like throwing a switch. He becomes capable of doing anything in order to take care of that person. He has no remorse for his actions and he knows they're wrong, but he justifies his actions because of this protective monomania. Whether he can feel actual love is open for debate, but even if he does, he probably thinks he owns that person. (Maybe not just people, either... you could make the argument for the whole Woodbury community, too.) Fortunately, he has a massive amount of charm he can call on to cover up his inconsistencies.

That's why he suddenly stuffed his surrogate family in the car and ran ... the camp was not safe enough. He finally decided the best option to protect them was to kill Pete and take over the camp.

It's also exactly how he behaved with Zombie Penny. Obsessive love mixed with massive denial and probably some delusions of grandeur too.

You take away whatever he's protecting, and he loses any semblance of rationality, which is what happened at the end of last season.

And in his "off" moments, he's REALLY off. Again, it's like turning off a switch. He becomes just short of catatonic. Obviously we saw it in the last episode, but that's also how he behaved when he was sitting in front of his walker aquarium.

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Why did the Governor kill Martinez ?
Because Martinez knew him from the old days and was starting to bring it up too much in front of The Governor's new family. Obviously the Governor doesn't want his new family to know about his past.
sojourner wrote: View Post
Why did the scorpion sting the frog?
No, he had made the decision that Martinez was the wrong person to lead the camp (thereby putting his surrogate family at risk). That's why he was murmuring objections while he was killing Martinez. Either he couldn't accept Martinez as leader or he couldn't accept sharing leadership, which was what Martinez had just offered.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote