Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 11 2013, 10:51 PM   #601
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

I agree with Daryl. Herschel is a tough sumbitch. I hope he doesn't go anywhere anytime soon.

This was a really good episode all around. Herschel's superhuman efforts to save the sick and control another zombie outbreak, Rick and Carl taking down the zombie horde, Glen and Maggie stepping up, and the arrival of Daryl's cavalry. And I don't know what to make of the little girl. Very heroic of her to lure the zombie away from Glen, but she is clearly very damaged.

Glen's attempt to resuscitate his patient makes me wonder, though: What does happen if you resuscitate someone who dies? What if you're dead long enough for the virus to kick in first? What becomes of you then?

As for Rick versus Carol, I weighed in on that a few pages back: Rick is a hypocrite for doing exactly what Carol did.
Old November 11 2013, 11:14 PM   #602
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^If you're talking about Shane, Rick didn't do exactly what Carol did.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2013, 11:32 PM   #603
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I agree with Daryl. Herschel is a tough sumbitch. I hope he doesn't go anywhere anytime soon.

And I don't know what to make of the little girl. Very heroic of her to lure the zombie away from Glen, but she is clearly very damaged.
Is she though? Or is this just the adaptation of youth? She is growing up in a world of Walkers, without a baseline of normalcy. IE, blood and guts are as normal to her as eating and sleeping. So is that her personality not coping? Or is that a generational adaptation and survival mechanism? The world turned, nobody knows why - Rick wonders if it's a test, and Herschel suggests it was always a test. The girl - has not been exposed to a different kind of moral human life. I guess the question becomes, is human morality a survival mechanism or a liability?

sojourner wrote: View Post
Triskelion wrote: View Post
As soon as I saw that gunshot on the beam, I kept waiting for Rick to scout the perimeter to find a bootprint or something.
??? huh? what do you mean by "gunshot on the beam"?
When Rick and Carl were reinforcing the beams at night, watch when the beam snaps under the zombie weight. You can see a bullet impact the stress point and shatter the beam that allows the fence to cave in. At least I though I saw it. I wondered why Rick and Carl still stood around outside with a sniper around - was I mistaken? Did anyone else see it?

The reason the away team got back so late was because of Daylight Savings Time.
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:07 AM   #604
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Triskelion wrote: View Post

When Rick and Carl were reinforcing the beams at night, watch when the beam snaps under the zombie weight. You can see a bullet impact the stress point and shatter the beam that allows the fence to cave in. At least I though I saw it. I wondered why Rick and Carl still stood around outside with a sniper around - was I mistaken? Did anyone else see it?
That was just the pole snapping "like a shot" under the strain of the zombies.
Old November 12 2013, 12:11 AM   #605
Shanndee
Commodore

bbjeg wrote: View Post
^If you're talking about Shane, Rick didn't do exactly what Carol did.
I think he's talking about Rick making the unilateral decision to exile Carol (which realistically could result in her death). Carol also made a unilateral decision to deal with the the infected. He's certainly a hypocrite in that respect.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 12:13 AM   #606
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

^Rick didn't kill her though, so it's not exactly the same.

That's what I took from it.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 01:25 AM   #607
Pavonis
Commodore

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
What does happen if you resuscitate someone who dies? What if you're dead long enough for the virus to kick in first? What becomes of you then?
From the CDC evidence, it appears the virus kicks in after brain death only. You shouldn't be able to resuscitate a brain-dead victim. Breathing is an autonomic response, and they'll never breathe on their own if their brain is dead. So it's not technically a problem, except that distinguishing between resuscitation and reanimation might be tricky if the victim is only dead for a few minutes, and reanimates while you're working on them. It's a risk that the medical professionals of the post-apocalyptic world will have to incorporate in their decisions when working on dying patients.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 02:44 AM   #608
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Even then upon brain death it's said the reanimation takes anywhere between minutes and hours and at brain death resuscitation is pointless even if reanimation wasn't a concern.
Old November 12 2013, 03:10 AM   #609
Pavonis
Commodore

Right. How would you distinguish between reanimation and resuscitation if the victim were only dead for, say, two or three minutes? Initial responses are the same for both - movement, breathing (though the zombies don't need to do it, the lower parts of the brain control it, so it happens regardless), eyes open, etc. Conveniently, though, the eyes of the undead always are cloudy. I don't know how quickly the vitreous humour of the eyes starts changing after death, but it seems convenient that the eyes are a dead (pun-intended) giveaway.

Speaking of eyes, shouldn't rotten eyes be a weakness of walkers by now? They may be able to hear and smell, but their vision should be crap by now. At least, I'd expect them to be shuffling around mostly blind.
Old November 12 2013, 03:12 AM   #610
sojourner
Vice Admiral

How can you tell they aren't mostly blind?
Old November 12 2013, 03:57 AM   #611
Pavonis
Commodore

I can't. Not really. Yet they manage to find their prey really well if they're mostly blind. I mean, humans have relatively poor hearing and smell compared to most predators, and having most of your sense tissue rot should not help your hunting ability. Yet the walkers never fail to track a target, and they never give up their target, either. Of course, the data is inherently biased, since we only see walkers that are hunting people. I imagine there are billions of walkers that are barely functional, unable to catch anything, starving slowly. Like that walker on the side of the road in this past episode. Even a dog wasn't afraid of it, and that's unusual. Walkers will eat anything.
Old November 12 2013, 04:22 AM   #612
Mojochi
Commodore

Lol, that dog. I think it was considering snacking on it, & then changed its mind

Given next week's teaser, I find myself wondering about Martinez & Shumpert (The Gov's last 2 men) Clearly, their tents are pitched right next to his. What would possess them to continue to follow him for months after he murdered everyone else? You'd have to be crazy, or scared shitless, & even the fear can't be 24/7. They had to have had an opportunity to ditch by now. Why wouldn't anyone with any sense be looking to distance themselves from that guy?
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 05:09 AM   #613
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Right. How would you distinguish between reanimation and resuscitation if the victim were only dead for, say, two or three minutes? Initial responses are the same for both - movement, breathing (though the zombies don't need to do it, the lower parts of the brain control it, so it happens regardless), eyes open, etc. Conveniently, though, the eyes of the undead always are cloudy. I don't know how quickly the vitreous humour of the eyes starts changing after death, but it seems convenient that the eyes are a dead (pun-intended) giveaway.

Speaking of eyes, shouldn't rotten eyes be a weakness of walkers by now? They may be able to hear and smell, but their vision should be crap by now. At least, I'd expect them to be shuffling around mostly blind.
Well... there's a LOT of questions we can get into if we want to start questioning how various states of decomposition effects how the Walkers operate and behave. I mean we know at the very least they have an "advanced" or particular sense of smell sense they only attack the living by virtue of the living not smelling dead.

I'd suspect even though the eyes are cloudy they have fairly normal vision (or at least the same or similar vision as the person had when they were alive. Harry Potter Walker probably didn't have very good vision since HP had glasses.)

Hell we see Walkers without lower bodies or intestine with the desire to eat. I think they can "see" just fine, probably by bizarre magics that allow their bodies and brains to "operate" at some level and aren't limited to the state of the host's eyes.
Old November 12 2013, 06:28 AM   #614
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

bbjeg wrote: View Post
That's what I took from it.
Yeah? Maybe you're right. I watched it again, and I'm still not sure. Watch and listen at 29:06 and 29:10.

The two beams crack with pings that could be ricochets or could be stressed wood snapping like a rubber band. After the second beam cracks, look at the stress point below. It's carved out into a cylindrical bullet shape:

Production-wise, maybe it was just a squib to give the illusion of stressed wood snapping on a pre-cut beam.

In fact I think it's definitely a squib. But meant to look like a shot? I don't know. I immediately thought the Governor was at the perimeter - and that turned out to be true.

What do you think?
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2013, 06:33 AM   #615
sojourner
Vice Admiral

I think Rick and Carl would have noticed a gunshot.