Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 3 2014, 07:20 AM   #2326
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

bbjeg wrote: View Post
So Morgan Jones was late meeting up with Rick via radio, now when he gets to the prison he's going to think Rick is screwing with him.
Considering the place is a smoldering ruin, complete with busted up tank out front, he assume that Rick and the others are dead.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 12:13 PM   #2327
selina
Fleet Captain

A boat is sounding more and more like the best idea. I just have to get one faster than selina.
I'm willing to share .
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 01:26 PM   #2328
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Most groups where that is happening will likely not be isolationists, because it's still a culture of social predatory intent. Mostly, people on an island community will have gone there to get away from that stuff. I'm not saying you won't risk encountering it on some islands, but it's less likely. They'll be isolationists looking to build a society & not just acquire their resources from other people

What's the first question almost everyone they encounter asks? "You got a camp somewhere? Translation = "What y'all got at that cozy camp of yours?". If you got one or two reliable boats of some kind & are careful coming & going from your coastal island, you don't really have to worry about being stalked by a bigger group... the way the prison was
It is a trade off; the prison was a prison, so by design it is supposed to be difficult to enter or exit, but yes, it was a known location in that region, so at any time, some Governor or Joe-type gang could stalk the community and plan the worst.

Islands are okay, but the biggest warning about that is the finale of the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake, where the survivors traveled to an island, only to face an army of attacking zombies. There's no way to know if a island has been overrun until you set foot on it, thus triggering a response.

You might try to be a bit clever, and use something that would draw walker attention (fireworks, as in Land of the Dead), and nothing shows up, move in, all the while scanning with binoculars, but if the island is not as structure as say, Catalina, then the potential for being caught off guard goes up.

So Morgan Jones was late meeting up with Rick via radio, now when he gets to the prison he's going to think Rick is screwing with him.
Not when he see the aftermath of the attack, deadbodies holding rifles, the tank, etc. He's very experienced, so he might follow the trail to Terminus (everyone else seemed to run into the train tracks quickly).

For all we know, Rick's "screwing with the wrong people" line--as confident as it was--speaks to someone the quartet met before hopping the Terminus fence. Morgan? Carol and Tyreese?

What about Beth and her kidnapper...or his group?

Without weapons, Rick cannot be confident thinking they will simply bust out at first chance, knowing the compound is surrounded. Someone else could be waiting in the woods as backup.
Old April 3 2014, 04:23 PM   #2329
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Mojochi wrote: View Post
So, what that leaves is the Woodburys. There's probably tons of them & maybe some of them aren't run by lying, manipulative, megalomaniacal outright murderers, like The Governor, holding power with the aid of ruthless, corrupt, scrupleless henchmen like Merle
I think that these places probably exist without nutjobs running them, but at the same time I don't think one has to be insane to be part of a violent tribe that will engage in warfare with others. The reality of this world is that people are going to revert to the old methods of humanity, and what that means is that no place is safe, and any peaceful people will ultimately be conquered by those who are not.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 04:43 PM   #2330
sojourner
Admiral

Hopefully, now that the actor that plays Carl has had his growth spurt, we won't have any more time jumps.
Old April 3 2014, 05:51 PM   #2331
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Hopefully, now that the actor that plays Carl has had his growth spurt, we won't have any more time jumps.
Here is Chandler Riggs Twitter feed. He's such a typical teenager.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 06:13 PM   #2332
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Obiwanshinobi wrote: View Post
What a pretty underwhelming finale, although Rick going for the jugular was pretty awesome! Also the Terminus folks are either terrible at aiming or they intently shot around them corralling them like cattle to the train car.
Well as that's happening in the show, Rick mentions outright that it looks like the Terminus people are NOT trying to kill them, but move them in a particular direction.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 06:51 PM   #2333
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Agreed. This will greatly limit time jumps to eventually not include Carl.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 07:35 PM   #2334
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I feel bad for the kid. They wouldn't let him on Talking Dead and then they covered up his mural with that Terminus sign.\
Old April 3 2014, 07:45 PM   #2335
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
I feel bad for the kid. They wouldn't let him on Talking Dead and then they covered up his mural with that Terminus sign.\
Agreed. I also wonder if AMC did not have him as a guest on the season finale Talking Dead because of what his character Carl had endured would have become the focal point of the discussion. Albeit, it would have been great to see Andrew Lincoln and Chandler Riggs on there together.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 09:46 PM   #2336
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Galileo7 wrote: View Post
Starbreaker wrote: View Post

Agreed. I also wonder if AMC did not have him as a guest on the season finale Talking Dead because of what his character Carl had endured would have become the focal point of the discussion. Albeit, it would have been great to see Andrew Lincoln and Chandler Riggs on there together.

Well he's scheduled for the Talking Dead premiere next season...so there we go.

And i forgot about Morgan. I hope he's part of the "rescue team"! However, that would clearly mean Tyrese, or most likely Bob, is doomed as soon as (or just before) Morgan shows up.
Morpheus 02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2014, 11:14 PM   #2337
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Considering the place is a smoldering ruin, complete with busted up tank out front, he assume that Rick and the others are dead.
I should have put a at the end of that. I was kidding. I know that Morgan knew Rick came back for weapons and that he was fighting someone.

selina wrote: View Post
A boat is sounding more and more like the best idea. I just have to get one faster than selina.
I'm willing to share .
Me too. Also, if I get turned, chop my arms and jaw off. Those guys looked very interested after loosing the urge to eat brains.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 07:13 PM   #2338
selina
Fleet Captain

Done!
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 07:39 AM   #2339
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I really enjoyed this season. I see that I appear to be in the minority that I enjoyed the second part of season 4; it's probably, in fact, my favourite of any season so far. Years ago I read Stephen King's The Long Walk. Ever since I have admired literature, or in this case, tv, that can tell a story when that story is stripped to the basics of just characters basically talking to each other. In my opinion the writers largely did a great job.

I've just caught up with the last couple of episodes. There is load of great moments of thematic/dramatic irony in there for me: that the humans have resorted to eating each other, something that the walkers themselves do: even the thing that divides us and them now no longer exist. Isn't there an old adage: ultimately, you become what you despise?

Rick's way of fighting off Joe (that Jeoff Kober's name?) is utterly awesome. He uses the only thing he has, and it's the same thing the walkers, themselves, have. Someone up thread says Carl and Michonne are having a "romance". I can see that. It's innocent and touching. They meet in the middle because Michonne is recovering and discovering something childlike inside while Carl is becoming an adult in all the ways that means in this new world.

Daryl seemed really "un-Daryl-like" in these last couple of episodes for me. I'm not sure why that is. I wonder if it's because he's had his paraphenalia taken away from him - the poncho, the bike, his crossbow gets superceded by someone else's. I wonder if it's because the position he occupies in our group (the hardman, redneck survivor?) he no longer is in Joe's group. They are all the same, he doesn't stand out. Not only that, but he isn't even that any longer.

I'm not sure that anyone up thread has even mentioned what was going to happen to Carl. They were going to rape him, surely? For me that's the darkest this show has got - darker than the first time we saw a child walker, darker than the first time it put a gun in a child's hand, darker than the deaths of the children a couple of episodes back. The cannibals up ahead, the child being attacked, Rick's reaction, the pared down action of the long walk all reminded me of the novel (not the film because I haven't seen it) of The Road.

Talking of things that remind me of other things, the candles and totems in the railway siding at Terminus reminded me of Graham Masterton's Ritual, an awesome tale of existential horror the likes of which TWD hasn't really matched yet, in my opinion! I found Terminus quite naff, actually, especially the lead guy ( I forget his name). I dunno, is it because I've seen a thousand tropes of what the bad guys get up to in the post-apocalyptic world? I dunno. I'll live with it because TWD has so much other good stuff going for it. For me, though, Glenn and Maggie really isn't one of them. I like a good romance, but I'm sick to death of these two.

I know, I know: tl:dr. In summary: I loved it.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2014, 10:22 AM   #2340
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ I read it. I completely agree with your reasons for the second half of this season being so good-- only in my case it was guys like Clarke and Asimov that taught me about dialogue-driven storytelling.

The weird thing about the attempted rape of Carl, to me, was that Joe and the others had no problem with it. They seemed more like the type of guys who would want to kill homosexuals or child molesters.