Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 26 2014, 11:01 PM   #2116
Mojochi
Commodore

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Isn't Bob the new positive person?
Maybe, but it isn't hitting home enough yet. Hershel had a way about him that made people immediately think about their inner goodness, & Beth sort of did that with Daryl recently
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2014, 11:03 PM   #2117
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Mojochi wrote: View Post
So, what do you say the going odds are that the special of the day on the Chez Terminus menu is or could soon be... barbequed Beth Greene?
70/30 in favor of it, as much as I would hate that end for her character.

As mentioned in the WD/death thread, it would be too predictable/cheap shot to kill off the one person speaking of faith in the ZA world. She should be seen proving that she's more of a survivor than even she realized---but not to the point her values are completely compromised. All other characters are at varying stages of dark, and how appealing is that if it continues?

Beth dying would just mean the we can guess will just mean pouring on nihilistic behavior among the main cast, which is a producer's "do it just because we want to seem hard," not because it is necessary.
Is there the potential of a more positive character coming on? And/or an older person?

They kinda did that with Dale/Herschel.
So far, I do not see anyone coming as full of faith as Beth. The rest just seem to "let's just try to survive," but do not see the potential for good somewhere in the world.

Bob just seems to be positive about finding a surrogate family (the prison group), but not extending faith in humanity--or good people--to the world like Beth (in her various statements to Daryl).
Old March 26 2014, 11:31 PM   #2118
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Maybe, but it isn't hitting home enough yet. Hershel had a way about him that made people immediately think about their inner goodness, & Beth sort of did that with Daryl recently
With the hints at alcoholism (which, he does share in common with Hershel) and the mystery around him prior to our group finding him, not to mention his "sad-sack/everyone I've been with dies" mentality prior to the destruction of the prison, it's certainly not the same.

I like Bob, but I don't fully trust him, either. Something still seems off about him. Granted, with his whole "They can come back" and squaring off against Rick throughout season 2, it's not like Hershel was as likable as he is now.

I think we're discounting Dale, who seemed to have that same effect on others Hershel did, though it didn't quite work with Shane.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 10:36 PM   #2119
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Personally, Dale is my favorite "old wise one" of the series. I'd rather be beside him in a zombie world then Hershel. Though, Mary (Denise Crosby) may take that spot if she's not the cannibal everyone thinks she is.
bountifulboxesjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2014, 11:01 PM   #2120
Mojochi
Commodore

I think the reason people don't fully take to Bob is because of his confessed history. It's pretty forthright of him to share that with these new people. That would be highly unlikely of someone in his situation. Your history before Zombieland might not matter all too much anymore, but your history in the aftermath kind of does, if you're to be travelling with people and counting upon them

That's the thing. The audience knows about many of the other characters' aftermath history. We know what Michonne & Tara had been doing, & we watched Daryl, Rick & Carol go through the things that got them here

But we don't know anything about how Bob managed these past 2 years, except that everyone he ever travelled with is dead. It's tough to put stock in a guy who had that happen, when you don't know how it relates to him, what culpability he has in it, if any, or if he had to make hard choices like we're seeing people make among our older characters

Let's face it, we've all debated, at one time or another, the conduct of characters who've been there from the beginning, & in this guy's case, we got nothing to go on to measure his character
Old March 27 2014, 11:21 PM   #2121
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

I think the reason people don't fully take to Bob is because of his confessed history. It's pretty forthright of him to share that with these new people. That would be highly unlikely of someone in his situation. Your history before Zombieland might not matter all too much anymore, but your history in the aftermath kind of does, if you're to be travelling with people and counting upon them

That's the thing. The audience knows about many of the other characters' aftermath history. We know what Michonne & Tara had been doing, & we watched Daryl, Rick & Carol go through the things that got them here

But we don't know anything about how Bob managed these past 2 years, except that everyone he ever travelled with is dead. It's tough to put stock in a guy who had that happen, when you don't know how it relates to him, what culpability he has in it, if any, or if he had to make hard choices like we're seeing people make among our older characters

Let's face it, we've all debated, at one time or another, the conduct of characters who've been there from the beginning, & in this guy's case, we got nothing to go on to measure his character
So are people expecting him to get drunk and kill everyone or The Shining's All work and no (boose) makes (Bob) a dull boy?
Old March 28 2014, 12:06 AM   #2122
kitik
Commander

But we don't know anything about how Bob managed these past 2 years, except that everyone he ever travelled with is dead.
Wouldn't it be cool if Bob is actually from Terminus and he's out looking for food? It would certainly explain how people in other groups he's been in have died the past few years, and would also explain why he doesn't care what type of a group he joins, just so long as its a group.

That said, there's obviously a hole or two in that theory, and of course it's far more likely that he will end up getting eaten or killed or whatever happens at Terminus as opposed to being the bad guy doing it.

So while it's not going to happen, wouldn't it be fun if Bob was planning on eating everyone all season long? (Why else do you think he's been driven to alcoholism? Or maybe he left Terminus and planned on never going back, but when the prison fell, he saw no reason to fight against the return to his old home that was inevitably calling him back.)
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 12:40 AM   #2123
Mojochi
Commodore

lol It's a funny idea, but that flashback of his he's just alone & destitute. Who'd do that if they had an in at Terminus?

So are people expecting him to get drunk and kill everyone or The Shining's All work and no (boose) makes (Bob) a dull boy?
I was thinking more like what Daryl expressed to him about his drinking back when it came out & they were hunting down antibiotics

The audience can't put stock in him being someone the others can count on, without knowing what kind of person he is. If he got drunk on watch, or was off looking for a buzz when someone needed him there, or maybe when his past acquaintances needed help, he just cowered in a closet somewhere until everyone was gone. I'm beginning to sense he's not like that, but honestly, we just don't really have a clue what he's been like & that registers with viewers
Old March 28 2014, 02:34 AM   #2124
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

kitik wrote: View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if Bob is actually from Terminus and he's out looking for food? It would certainly explain how people in other groups he's been in have died the past few years, and would also explain why he doesn't care what type of a group he joins, just so long as its a group.

That said, there's obviously a hole or two in that theory, and of course it's far more likely that he will end up getting eaten or killed or whatever happens at Terminus as opposed to being the bad guy doing it.
Sure, there could be holes in your theory, but from the start of this season, we were told Bob has some "secret." It is not a big deal if it merely alcoholism (other than causing the rack to fall, and ultimately costing Beth's boyfriend his life).

So while it's not going to happen, wouldn't it be fun if Bob was planning on eating everyone all season long? (Why else do you think he's been driven to alcoholism? Or maybe he left Terminus and planned on never going back, but when the prison fell, he saw no reason to fight against the return to his old home that was inevitably calling him back.)
Perhaps he is from Terminus, which would explain how he's always the last man standing from old groups. Maybe he wanders around, pretending to be lost, until he comes across "fresh meat," wins their confidence, then leads them to the slaughter.

Granted, that would be tough with a population as large as the prison (at the start of the season), but there's something not quite right about him, other than his desire to have a stable family.
Old March 28 2014, 04:59 AM   #2125
kitik
Commander

I'm beginning to sense he's not like that, but honestly, we just don't really have a clue what he's been like & that registers with viewers
Well maybe that was the big twist with Bob. He was a character designed to make us not trust him and to wonder about his ulterior motives and dark secrets (remember, some folks thought he was the one that would let the Governor into the prison), and maybe the big reveal with Bob is that he's actually a nice guy. That would be a surprise (and it kind of was). It would be a nice little change of pace for a series that has had a very dark second half of the season. There are still some good people out there. Some happy surprises still await us.
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 09:58 AM   #2126
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Maybe Bob was the real governor before the ZA.
Old March 28 2014, 01:27 PM   #2127
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral

Am I the only one who actually likes Bob?
Old March 28 2014, 01:53 PM   #2128
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Am I the only one who actually likes Bob?
I like Bob as well. i'm surprised everyone isn't a heavy drinker after the dead come back to life.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 03:07 PM   #2129
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

General Question: TWD sure has pushed the limits in terms of showing violence and using profanity on cable TV. I wonder why they also haven't pushed the same limits with nudity? Thoughts?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2014, 03:37 PM   #2130
Scout101
Admiral

Because the whackjob religious right has no problems with swearing or violence, the more guns and guts, the better. But if there's a nip slip, you get a public outcry and demand for burkas for all...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote