RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 415
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 21 2013, 09:23 PM   #181
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

I agree it's a harsh lesson, but what would they have done if they were alone with their Dad when he died?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 10:31 PM   #182
propita
Rear Admiral

On Talking Dead, they said it wasn't the girl, whom I posted I thought it was. They also said that Rick never brought up the sick pig to Herschel (seems silly), and that Rick was focused on Carl.

Dcotor's name is Caleb. He's referred to as "Dr. C" and as "Caleb."
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 10:44 PM   #183
sojourner
Admiral

propita wrote: View Post
On Talking Dead, they said it wasn't the girl
Not on the Talking Dead I saw. At least, Greg didn't say that. and he's the only one on the show that would know.
Old October 21 2013, 10:45 PM   #184
Pavonis
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
While I agree with the need to teach the kids how to use weapons, Carol pushing the one girl to stab her father in the head seemed awfully over the top. Even as bleak and hopeless as their lives have become, I can't see anyone-- particularly the caring and thoughtful Carol-- thinking that was even remotely appropriate.
It's absolutely appropriate. The man's dead body is a threat, and needs to be eliminated. The family of the deceased should take care of it, just as they do now. The fact that stabbing the body in the head is necessary in the post-apocalyptic world is the only significant difference.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 10:55 PM   #185
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Carol seems to be going through a delayed "going to the dark side" reaction to the death of Sophia. She seems to be trying to steel the kids so they'll better be able to protect themselves should they ever end-up alone like Sophia was.
Old October 21 2013, 11:20 PM   #186
shivkala
Rear Admiral

While I agree with the need to teach the kids how to use weapons, Carol pushing the one girl to stab her father in the head seemed awfully over the top. Even as bleak and hopeless as their lives have become, I can't see anyone-- particularly the caring and thoughtful Carol-- thinking that was even remotely appropriate.
That whole scene bothered me. Time is of the essence, she should have killed him as soon as she found the bite on his neck. Then to waste time arguing with the girls and allowing them to get close, it's lucky he didn't reanimate then and bite them all!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 11:23 PM   #187
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Pavonis wrote: View Post
It's absolutely appropriate. The man's dead body is a threat, and needs to be eliminated. The family of the deceased should take care of it, just as they do now. The fact that stabbing the body in the head is necessary in the post-apocalyptic world is the only significant difference.
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Carol seems to be going through a delayed "going to the dark side" reaction to the death of Sophia. She seems to be trying to steel the kids so they'll better be able to protect themselves should they ever end-up alone like Sophia was.
Yes, unfortunately, those kids aren't in a position where they will have the opporunity to grow up before they have to do something like stab a former loved one in the head in order to survive. This is something they might have to do in the next minute or hour and beig able to do it may mean the difference between life and death.

What Carol was teaching them can be seen as inappropriate for a child, however, it is absolutely necessary under the circumstances.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2013, 11:54 PM   #188
davejames
Vice Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Taking your loved one off life-support is a bit different from stabbing them in the head, I'd say. To ask a young girl to do that to her father mere seconds after he passed away just seems wrong to me no matter what the circumstance.

Especially when there's loads of other zombies for the kids to practice their killing techniques on.

And it's not like stabbing her father would make it a whole lot easier to kill her sister or some other loved one who suddenly turned. It would still be just as difficult and torturous an experience.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 12:29 AM   #189
Pavonis
Commodore

^People who find it difficult to do what is necessary to survive don't survive very long. If stabbing your dead father's body in the head to prevent reanimation doesn't make it easier to put down other loved one's reanimated corpses, then that kid is not going to last to adulthood.

Besides, the guy was already dead. What more could happen to him (beyond reanimation)?

shivkala wrote: View Post
That whole scene bothered me. Time is of the essence, she should have killed him as soon as she found the bite on his neck. Then to waste time arguing with the girls and allowing them to get close, it's lucky he didn't reanimate then and bite them all!
It wasn't that time-critical. It usually takes between two minutes and several hours to reanimate. It was done in less than two minutes, and even then a freshly re-animated corpse isn't that vicious. They seem mostly confused at first (for instance, Amy and Shane reanimated without seeming too focused on killing immediately).
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 01:55 AM   #190
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

sojourner wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
Whoever is feeding them was adult height.

Also depraved and steady enough to let them bite off the heads and then leave the bodies at the base of the fence to egg them on.

Not a child.
I just rewatched the scene. there is no indication of the actual height of the person, nor do we see even the hands. As for biting off the heads and leaving the bodies, we're not talking about a mentally healthy child here.
Your TV is too dark. We see the hand holding the flashlight and it was not a child's hand. Also the fact that the rat is being dangled by its tail at head-level of the walker makes it clear this is someone of adult height.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 03:04 AM   #191
sojourner
Admiral

Whoever is feeding them was adult height.

Also depraved and steady enough to let them bite off the heads and then leave the bodies at the base of the fence to egg them on.

Not a child.
I just rewatched the scene. there is no indication of the actual height of the person, nor do we see even the hands. As for biting off the heads and leaving the bodies, we're not talking about a mentally healthy child here.
Your TV is too dark. We see the hand holding the flashlight and it was not a child's hand. Also the fact that the rat is being dangled by its tail at head-level of the walker makes it clear this is someone of adult height.
Nope, just watched it for a third time. I adjusted the brightness and contrast on the TV all the way up. No hand is visible. Ever heard of people holding something above one's head? That rat could totally be held by a kid. Especially considering we have no way of knowing if the walker was bending over or not to reach the rat.
Old October 22 2013, 03:21 AM   #192
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I doubt the Walker feeder was the little girl, it seemed like between whomever was feeding the Walkers and whoever killed the two infected people we're trying to build to a threat inside the prison. I think that'd be pretty lame if it was a 12-year-old girl. I'm betting on a Governor follower has infiltrated the prison and is trying to scare the group off.

If not a Governor follower some other outside interest that doesn't want Rick and the group there that has managed to infiltrate the prison.
Old October 22 2013, 04:56 AM   #193
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

THANK YOU.

A bit like shoving a non-swimmer into deep water and telling them it's for their own good.

This series will take the gratuitous drama road sometimes. I can think of a hundred ways to train children without traumatizing them. Maternal hero syndrome, you ask me.

But then again, why would a character watch the road as they drive, when they could spin out of control? Why not go out to the creepy old barn near the edge of the woods at night?

Here little girl, stab your father in the head! This is the kind of gratuitous drama that reveals TV studios have about the same handle on actual people as fashion designers.

Then again, in a real crisis you probably would get stuck with twenty drama queens "taking charge," and twenty douchebags in hats twirling pistols. Stressing out an injured child by fighting for dominance over who gets to deliver first aid and feel heroic.

Two more points:

Rick's accent: I thought there was something a little off about it the first time I saw his character. But to the actor's credit, most people can't really pull off a southern accent, they only think they can. Andrew Lincoln does a great job! I thought it was a directorial choice and not the fact he wasn't southern!

The gun in the prison yard: On further reflection....

As a police officer, Rick would be aware of the ramifications of a convict with access to a pistol in a prison. That prison was designed to keep out things like guns, and yet there one was. In the time before the world turned, that well-staffed and well-organized prison still couldn't keep out what it was designed to keep out. What less chance would Rick have winging it with a skeleton crew against a danger the prison wasn't even designed for?

So the pistol may reveal or foreshadow the false sense of security - and inevitable danger. This is the kind of scene I love in this series - it gives you things to think about without moralizing or dramatizing, too.

Last edited by Triskelion; October 22 2013 at 06:19 AM.
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 06:21 AM   #194
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Nope, just watched it for a third time. I adjusted the brightness and contrast on the TV all the way up. No hand is visible. Ever heard of people holding something above one's head? That rat could totally be held by a kid. Especially considering we have no way of knowing if the walker was bending over or not to reach the rat.
I can see a hand. So I don't know what to tell you. Maybe your copy was badly compressed or something. You see it in two shots when the flashlight isn't facing directly at the camera.

There is nothing to suggest the walker is is lower than normal height, and the approaching walker from behind it suggests they are both standing and normal height.

For one of those girls to be holding the rat at the height it is shown and in the way it is portrayed they would need to be on a step stool (they even made fun of the idea on Talking Dead this week).

Unless they intentionally filmed it to be misleading, it almost definitely wasn't one of the kids. And certainly not one of the younger ones.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2013, 06:39 AM   #195
Mojochi
Commodore

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Rick wouldn't potentially ruin a weapon by burying it in the ground...Which is why his gun and Carl's gun where in a toolbox.
I must have missed or forgot that's where he retrieved them
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote