USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 14 2014, 12:01 AM   #1756
Conundrum
Commodore

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
TG1, are getting you're ideas from the comics?
Sort of--but not to the point where it would be a spoiler, considering how much the TV series alters or moves away from the comic plotlines. Some are just guesses based on the way certain characters are developed, or dialogue pointing in one direction (ex. Lizzie's behavior early in the season cannot end well, whether she dies or not).
Just saying it's not a spoiler because there are differences is a lame copout. You know damned well they are spoilers.

It would certainly be nice if the mods actually enforced spoiler rules...unless they just want open the thread for full comic spoilers.

Or maybe they should just do two threads like Game of Throwns and then enforce spoiler rules...including lame "wink wink nudge nudge" spoilers".
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 12:38 AM   #1757
sojourner
Admiral

I read in the comics that that guy will do that thing and someone else does something.
Old March 14 2014, 12:40 AM   #1758
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

GAAAH!! Don't give that away!
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 12:44 AM   #1759
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I read in the comics that that guy will do that thing and someone else does something.
JESUS CHRIST...At least have the decency to pretend it's speculation

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 12:55 AM   #1760
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Conundrum wrote: View Post
Just saying it's not a spoiler because there are differences is a lame copout. You know damned well they are spoilers.
"Sort of" is not hard confirmation. A guess is a guess. I have no access to future WD scripts, and we both knew the series has moved away from comic plots on numerous occasions (ex. Lori and Judith's deaths, Shane lasting longer on TV, Dale's death, etc.).

That said, the speculation points were just that--somewhat based on a suspicion from the comics, but that--as far as i'm concerned--is only a "sort of" spoiler IF my guess becomes a reality in the final 3 episodes of the season.
Old March 14 2014, 12:57 AM   #1761
Conundrum
Commodore

bbjeg wrote: View Post
Conundrum wrote: View Post

...and while guns of a certain make are cookie-cutter, in the world of zombies, where supplies/weapons are limited, Joe's group might notice the weapon in Rick's possession as being the one carried by the now-dead member.

If the group runs into/captures Rick, they might test Daryl's loyalty by demanding that he kill Rick or Carl...rape Michonne...in other words, something stomach turning. Of course, Daryl will try to find a way out for himself and his friends, and with that, a possible part of a season cliffhanger, while the other prison refugees encounter their own nightmares at Terminus.

Do you think the car was heading for Terminus, and that the driver has...odd taste in....meat?
You guys actually cannot stop yourselves from posting spoilers...it's like some strange kind of OCD.

Yes, everyone is impressed you read the comics.
That didn't sound like a spoiler to me. I thought it was all speculation of what's been seen so far and what may happen.
It is.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 01:00 AM   #1762
Scout101
Admiral

Then again, having read none of the comics, i already know more than I wish I did about Abraham, despite his 5 minutes of screen time. And people are dropping cute 'wink wink' comments about the sat phone as well. And can't pretend the cannibal comment was made as a random guess, as there's bit about that coming up that you're speculating are involved, no?

SO yes, you're making a guess, but a guess with some pretty specific backup, seeing as that's the source material to draw from. Don't HAVE to go that direction, but you know it's an option and can't help but spoiling everyone else on it.

Otherwise, what in the TV show has given even the hint of cannibalism on the show? Don't think it's been mentioned at all, so what prompted the guess? Right, spoilers...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 01:01 AM   #1763
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Sure, it could be fun (Though, with most Zombie movies, if they do explain the cause and how everything went south, it's generally anti-climactic, and almost ruins the entire movie).
Oh? Did you feel the "Venus probe" radiation explanation in the original Night of the Living Dead ruined the entire film? Did that alter one bit of the isolation and terror?

Explanations do not ruin plots. It adds dimension to the background and motivations.
Old March 14 2014, 01:06 AM   #1764
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Sure, it could be fun (Though, with most Zombie movies, if they do explain the cause and how everything went south, it's generally anti-climactic, and almost ruins the entire movie).
Oh? Did you feel the "Venus probe" radiation explanation in the original Night of the Living Dead ruined the entire film? Did that alter one bit of the isolation and terror?

Explanations do not ruin plots. It adds dimension to the background and motivations.
I'd like to call your attention to the word I bolded. One movie can be an exception, and not necessarily included in Most, and BTW, they didn't go into how things went South, which is also part of what you quoted and responded to.

And yea, if folks are taking comic spoilers and dressing them up as simply Speculation, that's pretty crappy, I have not read the comics and I deliberately do not open the spoiler code.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; March 14 2014 at 01:17 AM.
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 01:21 AM   #1765
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Otherwise, what in the TV show has given even the hint of cannibalism on the show?
This is aside from all these dead guys shambling around eating people, right?

Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 01:26 AM   #1766
sojourner
Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Otherwise, what in the TV show has given even the hint of cannibalism on the show? .
General scarcity of food? Demonstrated desensitization to dismembering human bodies? Multiple run-ins with different groups of not nice people?

I stopped reading the comics after about issue 30 and could have guessed that cannibals would show up in a storyline eventually.
Old March 14 2014, 01:35 AM   #1767
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I would say any show (or movie) based on a source material, as this one is, you take a degree or two of risk on getting spoilers from those who are familiar with the source material when entering in a discussion about it.
Old March 14 2014, 02:07 AM   #1768
kitik
Lieutenant Commander

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Eh, but the entire bunch of characters in "The Walking Dead" have learned to do head shots pretty easily and quickly. They're all pros at it this point to where it becomes pretty silly that they can't make a head-shot when they need to! (Like when fighting The Governor's and his men.) Hell, even Carol is capable of making headshots when they first cleared out the prison yard!

So, regardless of real-world training, it seems head-shots aren't likely what held the military back.
Wow, strongly disagree. It's taken them a good 18 months to turn into headshot experts. That is just radically different from your expectation that people should have turned into headhsot experts in the first 12-18 hours of the ZA.

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Two pages back I asked for a plausible scenario in which the ZA could have happened considering our enormous military budget and overwhelming superiority to them technologically.

Someone gave one - most people went AWOL to be with their families when the shit started. Makes sense to me.
Keep in mind that when this all started, they were not fighting zombies. They were helping "sick" people. And a bunch of police and nurses and doctors probably got bit and then kept on working. And then within a few hours they were infecting other people.

Think about how many millions of folks' last words were something along the lines of "calm down now, lets talk about this". (Or at least their last words before being bitten.)

By the time folks realized what was going on and how serious the problem was, more than half the population could have already fallen.

Generally, when people get sick, the first thought is to help them, not to kill them.
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2014, 02:49 AM   #1769
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Wow, strongly disagree. It's taken them a good 18 months to turn into headshot experts. That is just radically different from your expectation that people should have turned into headhsot experts in the first 12-18 hours of the ZA.
Rick, a sheriff's deputy in Bung-Hole, Georgia who had been in a coma for some period of time just a couple of days earlier was popping off head-shots with his pistol like a pro in the second episode of the series as he's running from the tank to the alley Glenn meets him in.

Now, granted, it took the time between S2 and S3 for the surviving group members to become head-shot experts but, still, it's hardly something that I would think is easy to do outside of controlled conditions. It's not like they went to the shooting range every other day.

Military personnel, I would suspect, would be able to more accurate when it comes to aiming their weapons. Sure they're taught for "center mass" but they may be more able to strike the head than a civilian.

That said, I agree with your assessment on how the ZA probably first came down. Initially people probably weren't too concerned after a bite beyond cleaning and then bandaging it. Maybe after a bit some level quarantine. But, again, we've pretty much been shown that whatever happened happened pretty fast.
Old March 14 2014, 02:51 AM   #1770
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

I'd like to call your attention to the word I bolded. One movie can be an exception, and not necessarily included in Most, and BTW, they didn't go into how things went South, which is also part of what you quoted and responded to.
I'd like to call your attention to the the Venus probe--that was an explanation for the ZA. It sis not ruin anything, and it would be the same for TWD--as long as the writers tell compelling stories. If the series falls flat, it would have nothing to do with providing an explanation for the outbreak.

And yea, if folks are taking comic spoilers and dressing them up as simply Speculation, that's pretty crappy, I have not read the comics and I deliberately do not open the spoiler code.
Most of the points have no basis in the comic, and again, the TV series is known for altering or ignoring comic plots so much, that any references here are not likely to spoil anything.