Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 13 2014, 06:45 PM   #1741
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
Another thing to consider is soldiers are trained to make torso shots, not head shots. In conventional battle, you it your enemy in the torso, he goes down. It's not the movies where they keep fighting.

Only special forces or snipers have the training to consistently make head shots. Regular army would have a learning curve once they realize those they shot are still coming, and then may not have the skills necessary to make those head shots.

Drones do much of their work exploding and distributing shrapnel. That may tear up a zombie, but it may not kill one. Even with the loss of a couple of limbs, a zombie could crawl, and still be a danger.
Soldiers are trained to hit targets, not just shooting for the torso. Their gun range training should help in a zombie brake out, regardless of if they were trained to hit a target and not specifically the head.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 06:48 PM   #1742
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Scout101 wrote: View Post
You're not allowed to hope for change in a series? Not to go full-tilt science on us, but can't wish for even a little bit of explanation or flashback to show those parts? We've gotten a LITTLE of that in the past, doesn't exactly make people haters to want more.
But like if they're to suddenly explain these things, then it almost becomes like a retcon. Even if it's more accurate, it doesn't make sense why all of a sudden, say gasoline, doesn't work. Then they'd have to explain it and why they were wrong, and frankly I don't think the writers give that much of a shit about it. I think if you want well reasoned science in a cable TV show about zombies, you're not going to get what you want.

And they're not really going to explain the outbreak or how it happened. They're not going to focus on a military group either. These things are not really what the show is about.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 07:05 PM   #1743
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
You're not allowed to hope for change in a series? Not to go full-tilt science on us, but can't wish for even a little bit of explanation or flashback to show those parts? We've gotten a LITTLE of that in the past, doesn't exactly make people haters to want more.

You can enjoy something, and still get annoyed by things they do, or wish for a slightly different direction, or try to come up with explanations for how things work. Hence the couple million posts in the Trek-themed fora above this one
DarthTom wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Fair enough. But, if you're still so bothered by the very set up of the Series, 4 Seasons in, then what's the point in watching? It's been there from the beginning, and won't ever change, it's no different than accepting Warp Drive and Transporters. If you can't accept it, that's understandable (Many people can't, that's why a new Star Trek Series isn't expected to pull in 10 Million viewers), but, what's the point of watching?

It's perfectly understandable to mention you don't watch a show because you can't accept the set up, but, it makes no sense to complain about the Series Set up conceits, every episode, 4 seasons in.
I take it you have never complained about anything in life but still liked it?

I love Trek - but every once and a while you get a Threshold episode and/or a Nemesis film.

Walking Dead is the absolute best IMO there is on TV today - Game of Thrones and House of Cards a very, very close second.

But it's still fun IMO to talk about TWD flaws.
But, complaining about the very set up of the Series is completely different from the direction the Series might go.

Sure, it's totally reasonable to not like a plot arc, or a specific episode or being taken out of a scene by stupidity etc.

I'm saying, if you can't accept the Zombie Apocalypse happened, "end of discussion", and the show writers/runners have specifically said they're not going to explain it, then you're never going to be able to accept it.

Again, complaining, every episode, about how The ZA is impossible to have happened, is the same as complaining transporters and Warp Drive are impossible. Both of those are completely different than being unhappy about Janeway and Paris having Lizard babies or The search for Sophia dragging out too long, or The Governor returning or Gas still functioning 18 months after the ZA began

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 07:44 PM   #1744
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

I'm saying, if you can't accept the Zombie Apocalypse happened, "end of discussion", and the show writers/runners have specifically said they're not going to explain it, then you're never going to be able to accept it.
Two pages back I asked for a plausible scenario in which the ZA could have happened considering our enormous military budget and overwhelming superiority to them technologically.

Someone gave one - most people went AWOL to be with their families when the shit started. Makes sense to me.

I still would be fun if they'd do an episode or webisode on what happened in greater society.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 07:57 PM   #1745
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Two pages back I asked for a plausible scenario in which the ZA could have happened considering our enormous military budget and overwhelming superiority to them technologically.

Someone gave one - most people went AWOL to be with their families when the shit started. Makes sense to me.

I still would be fun if they'd do an episode or webisode on what happened in greater society.
Sure, it could be fun (Though, with most Zombie movies, if they do explain the cause and how everything went south, it's generally anti-climactic, and almost ruins the entire movie).

And perhaps, I should have indicated I wasn't speaking specifically to you (I don't pay enough attention to Usernames usually to know all the folks who do "X" all the time) asking about it this one time. But, it is pretty regular for someone to complain about it, just about every episode, so, it was more a blanket comment, and I just happened to use your inquiry this time around to respond to.

Me, I'm satisfied that it went down, by Family members not being able to put their family down when they turn, it took too long to learn about headshots for it to be broadcast, so, it's a learned skill, not, something you automatically know, and then the Military hesitating on Nuking Ground Zero, waiting for approval or whatever, and it got awway from them (Or simply there was an airborne outbreak that hit everywhere at once). Like I said, I totally understand the curiosity, but, some folks take it much further, and complain about it week after week, season after season

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 07:57 PM   #1746
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Well, we are getting a spin-off series. Maybe it will explore the larger world more.

Maybe it will explain for some people why batteries still work and where all the satellites went.
Old March 13 2014, 08:08 PM   #1747
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Eh, but the entire bunch of characters in "The Walking Dead" have learned to do head shots pretty easily and quickly. They're all pros at it this point to where it becomes pretty silly that they can't make a head-shot when they need to! (Like when fighting The Governor's and his men.) Hell, even Carol is capable of making headshots when they first cleared out the prison yard!

So, regardless of real-world training, it seems head-shots aren't likely what held the military back.
Most of them learned during the time between the loss of the farm and finding the prison, which was several months. It was at least enough time for Lori to go from just figuring out she was pregnant to close to giving birth.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 08:45 PM   #1748
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Nevermind that by that point, they knew from experience -- being survivors and all -- that headshots were required to take the zombies down. They were also used to zombies by that point; it was almost routine.

Most real people, on the other hand, are trained to shoot for center mass, and when overcome with horror and confusion, being pro zombie killers isn't really to be expected. Especially when, despite Trek_God_1's erroneous belief otherwise, most military guys are just as incompetent and weak thinkers as anyone from any other walk of life. They just know how to pull a trigger better. Assuming they even had access to a firearm to begin with (and guess what, Trek_God_1: most troops on a military base don't).
Old March 13 2014, 09:03 PM   #1749
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Nevermind that by that point, they knew from experience -- being survivors and all -- that headshots were required to take the zombies down. They were also used to zombies by that point; it was almost routine.

Most real people, on the other hand, are trained to shoot for center mass, and when overcome with horror and confusion, being pro zombie killers isn't really to be expected. Especially when, despite Trek_God_1's erroneous belief otherwise, most military guys are just as incompetent and weak thinkers as anyone from any other walk of life. They just know how to pull a trigger better. Assuming they even had access to a firearm to begin with (and guess what, Trek_God_1: most troops on a military base don't).
Most of them were probably dead before they figured it out. After all, when you shoot something in the chest and it doesn't even slow them down your next thought isn't going to be "maybe if I shot them is a different part of their body"
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 09:25 PM   #1750
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

BTW, in WWZ [the Film] they make the claim that the North Koreans to deal with the zombie problem forcibly extracted the entire populations teeth. In TWD Michonne takes the extra step of cutting off their arms. Why bother doing that?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 09:31 PM   #1751
sojourner
Vice Admiral

less appendages to get tangled in things?
Old March 13 2014, 09:38 PM   #1752
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

In short - it's fun to talk about all the variables. Why else are the fuck are we here?
wissaboo wrote: View Post
Sometimes it seems like we can't even discuss what actually happened on the show because people are too busy harping on their pet peeves.
This may actually be the "why else".

sojourner wrote: View Post
Well, we are getting a spin-off series. Maybe it will explore the larger world more.

Maybe it will explain for some people why batteries still work and where all the satellites went.
And why gas works, of course.

COMING SOON:

"The Walking Dead: Fuel for the Fire"

BTW, in WWZ [the Film] they make the claim that the North Koreans to deal with the zombie problem forcibly extracted the entire populations teeth. In TWD Michonne takes the extra step of cutting off their arms. Why bother doing that?
She wanted to be able to sleep without having them feel her up.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 11:03 PM   #1753
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Zombies tend to be less grabby (and rippy and gut-pully) when they have no arms.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 11:47 PM   #1754
Conundrum
Commodore

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post

If that's the case, he knows what Ricks looks like, so now I wonder if the group is looking for Rick because he killed the guy in the bathroom.
...and while guns of a certain make are cookie-cutter, in the world of zombies, where supplies/weapons are limited, Joe's group might notice the weapon in Rick's possession as being the one carried by the now-dead member.

If the group runs into/captures Rick, they might test Daryl's loyalty by demanding that he kill Rick or Carl...rape Michonne...in other words, something stomach turning. Of course, Daryl will try to find a way out for himself and his friends, and with that, a possible part of a season cliffhanger, while the other prison refugees encounter their own nightmares at Terminus.

So if Darryl heads to Terminus then that makes Beth the only one of the main group you are not sure about where she going and what's happening to her.
Do you think the car was heading for Terminus, and that the driver has...odd taste in....meat?
You guys actually cannot stop yourselves from posting spoilers...it's like some strange kind of OCD.

Yes, everyone is impressed you read the comics.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2014, 11:59 PM   #1755
bbjeg
Vice Admiral

Conundrum wrote: View Post
TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post

If that's the case, he knows what Ricks looks like, so now I wonder if the group is looking for Rick because he killed the guy in the bathroom.
...and while guns of a certain make are cookie-cutter, in the world of zombies, where supplies/weapons are limited, Joe's group might notice the weapon in Rick's possession as being the one carried by the now-dead member.

If the group runs into/captures Rick, they might test Daryl's loyalty by demanding that he kill Rick or Carl...rape Michonne...in other words, something stomach turning. Of course, Daryl will try to find a way out for himself and his friends, and with that, a possible part of a season cliffhanger, while the other prison refugees encounter their own nightmares at Terminus.

So if Darryl heads to Terminus then that makes Beth the only one of the main group you are not sure about where she going and what's happening to her.
Do you think the car was heading for Terminus, and that the driver has...odd taste in....meat?
You guys actually cannot stop yourselves from posting spoilers...it's like some strange kind of OCD.

Yes, everyone is impressed you read the comics.
That didn't sound like a spoiler to me. I thought it was all speculation of what's been seen so far and what may happen.
bbjeg is offline   Reply With Quote