Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 12 2014, 04:42 AM   #1696
JD
Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

TG1, are getting you're ideas from the comics?
Old March 12 2014, 05:06 AM   #1697
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
TG1, are getting you're ideas from the comics?
Sort of--but not to the point where it would be a spoiler, considering how much the TV series alters or moves away from the comic plotlines. Some are just guesses based on the way certain characters are developed, or dialogue pointing in one direction (ex. Lizzie's behavior early in the season cannot end well, whether she dies or not).
Old March 12 2014, 05:53 PM   #1698
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

To digress for a second from the last episode, I was reading in the Neutral Zone forum how the US Military spends more than the combined of Russia, China, and all of Europe and Asia combined and it got me thinking about The Walking Dead and the ZA as depicted in the show/comics.

How possibly could the entire US military be rendered completely impotent against a ZA of slow moving zombies as on this show? Between the combination of ground forces - tanks - advanced weaponry and with air suproirty over the zombies e.g. drones - is their any conceivable scenario that anyone can think of that would make this even remotely possible?

I'd think the US military - shit the reserves in each state by themselves- could easily mop up the zombie problem in quick order. Thoughts?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 06:03 PM   #1699
sojourner
Admiral

It's more about manpower than machines. Lack of a "front" to fight on. The rapid growth of the zombie "forces" catching us off guard.

Still, there should be a lot of military bases out there still viable.
Old March 12 2014, 06:07 PM   #1700
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
It's more about manpower than machines. Lack of a "front" to fight on. The rapid growth of the zombie "forces" catching us off guard.

The lack of a front line makes sense, however using our drone capacity to pick-off the zombie herds one-by-one I'd think would easily contain much of the problem.

I have no idea how many drones the US has but it must be at least 300 to 500. Which I'd imagine can cover a large swatch of US territory.

To make TWD viable in South GA it would make sense that GA wouldn't be of strategic importance at least at first - but the comics eventually has the group moving outside of DC and I'd think DC would be a high priority target to retake / relclaim / defend.
Old March 12 2014, 06:35 PM   #1701
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
To digress for a second from the last episode, I was reading in the Neutral Zone forum how the US Military spends more than the combined of Russia, China, and all of Europe and Asia combined and it got me thinking about The Walking Dead and the ZA as depicted in the show/comics.

How possibly could the entire US military be rendered completely impotent against a ZA of slow moving zombies as on this show? Between the combination of ground forces - tanks - advanced weaponry and with air suproirty over the zombies e.g. drones - is their any conceivable scenario that anyone can think of that would make this even remotely possible?

I'd think the US military - shit the reserves in each state by themselves- could easily mop up the zombie problem in quick order. Thoughts?
Have you read World War Z?

Last edited by Corran Horn; March 12 2014 at 06:46 PM.
Corran Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 06:38 PM   #1702
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post

Have you ready World War Z?
I haven't yet read the book but I saw the movie. Fast moving Zombies make it more probable that the armed forces can be overrun. And as I understand it in the book - a lot of the military survives on ships at sea. In fact the Oval office is moved to Hawaii as the island [Oahu] is secured.
Old March 12 2014, 06:42 PM   #1703
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

sojourner wrote: View Post

Yes, I feel there should be lots of bases out there still intact. Still, we've only seen Georgia up to this point, so who knows what's still out there.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2014, 06:43 PM   #1704
sojourner
Admiral

Have you ready World War Z?
I haven't yet read the book but I saw the movie. Fast moving Zombies make it more probable that the armed forces can be overrun. And as I understand it in the book - a lot of the military survives on ships at sea. In fact the Oval office is moved to Hawaii as the island [Oahu] is secured.

The movie only shares the title with the book. Nothing else carries over.
Old March 12 2014, 06:44 PM   #1705
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

The assumption the show makes is that no matter how hardcore your defense is or how badass your weapons are, it only takes the guy standing next to you to turn into a zombie to fuck everything up. Then it just escalates from there. Even if you take that zombie out before he kills/converts a couple more, that's still less people than you started with.

Also, have you actually seen the military in action before? It's nothing like the movies. It's full of incompetent boobs at every level (remember, by definition of the term, half the population is of below average intelligence), and on top of that, most military installations are wiiiiiide open and next to impossible to keep secure. Fort Benning, for example, which is the one they were heading to in the first season of the show, doesn't have so much as a picket fence around it.
Old March 12 2014, 06:48 PM   #1706
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Have you read World War Z?
As is said above, the book zombies are not the fast-movers that the movie zombies are.

The book introduces a scale that's rarely seen in TWD. There's a big battle where the military fights a zombie 'herd' that numbers in the thousands upon thousands.

There's too much of a reliance on NextGen technology and from a tactical standpoint they act like they're fighting another army - without spoiling it too much it doesn't work out well.
Old March 12 2014, 07:35 PM   #1707
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
The assumption the show makes is that no matter how hardcore your defense is or how badass your weapons are, it only takes the guy standing next to you to turn into a zombie to fuck everything up. Then it just escalates from there. Even if you take that zombie out before he kills/converts a couple more, that's still less people than you started with.
Yeah, but until the invention season four's prison virus (now a distant memory), we did not see random people just dropping/turning and even that was contained). That said, it should not be hard for a well-armed military force (quickly knowing not to waste bullets on body shots to walkers) to contain large areas.

The way TV-WD would have you assume, the walkers were some superhuman fighting force that defeated the military in a week's time, considering how there's no sign of it. Honestly, aside from the tank left in the city in season one, the National Guard unit (the Governor's victims - season 2), a couple of the Governor's new group in season four, and now Abraham, the military seemed to be wiped off the face of the earth.

Also, have you actually seen the military in action before? It's nothing like the movies. It's full of incompetent boobs at every level (remember, by definition of the term, half the population is of below average intelligence)
Yes, I have seen them, and know many serving, or served in the past, so I find your view more than skewed.

[/B] and on top of that, most military installations are wiiiiiide open and next to impossible to keep secure. Fort Benning, for example, which is the one they were heading to in the first season of the show, doesn't have so much as a picket fence around it.
Still, for the series to expect viewers to believe the entire military forces of the U.S. just fell (like it expects satellites to seemingly stop working/vanish in short time), is lazy, convenient writing to avoid thinking out a sensible set of problems and ways to deal with said problems.
Old March 12 2014, 07:42 PM   #1708
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

My assumption has always been that due to the limited scope of area covered by the group we're watching that there were major battles going on offscreen. Still, a totally deserted Atlanta is hard to explain.
Old March 12 2014, 07:51 PM   #1709
sojourner
Admiral

When were satellites ever mentioned on the show?
Old March 12 2014, 08:17 PM   #1710
PKerr
Rear Admiral

We've had this discussion about the fall of the military before and there is no way on God's green Earth to believe that the combined force of the Military, National Guard, The Reserves, The Police, the Fire Departments (FF bunker gear would be perfect in a ZA, as nothing would bite through it), every good ole boy with a shotgun and every punk kid that played Call of Duty would be overrun by these slow moving, dumb (even the ones from season one) Walkers.

The FBI estimates there are enough guns owned by private citizens, police and military that there would be enough for every person in the U.S. to have at least one.

If a lawyer (Michonne's occupation in the comics) with a katana can take out 100's and 100's of walkers, I'm sure trained Military personal could take out 1000's each.

We also have to remember, anyone trained with a firearm aims for the head or center mass, if you put 3-4 rounds center mass and the "person" didn't drop you would automatically aim for the head, also numerous rounds center mass would eventually destroy the spine making "whatever" immobile, I don't care what TPTB want us to believe about reanimation, a part isn't going to work if it isn't there.
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote