RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,367
Posts: 5,503,735
Members: 25,124
Currently online: 586
Newest member: traedoril

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 6 2014, 03:05 AM   #1606
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
And none of that birth control will ever expire, just like gasoline!
Well, expiration dates on medicine is..... fuzzier. It can also be used past its expiration date it's just less effective/less likely to work. Unlike gasoline which becomes unusable.
It's the same thing, just on a different time scale. Gasoline doesn't suddenly go bad either.
No, but after a year it's not longer effective and has mostly broken down into a varnish. You cans till "kinda" get away with it but it's not very effective, efficient and will clog up all sorts of lines and plugs in the fuel system and engine. After two years gasoline is no longer viable for use. So in the timeline of The Walking Dead gasoline should barely be working considering it's more than 18 months old if not out-right pushing two years.

Medications you can still take it's just less likely to 100% effective the further out you are from the date. Gasoline actually "goes bad" it's closer to being like, say, milk. Where, yeah, you get a day or two past the expiration date on the bottle but not too much more than that before the milk is bad.

Gasoline at this point in TWD universe should pretty much be useless and even diesel should be pushing things. Medications by and large should still be useful, except much more date-sensitive medications or medications reliant on modern technologies to stay viable like insulin which should be kept cool if not completely in the fridge.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 05:31 AM   #1607
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I mean we've never seen/heard them buying toilet paper but I think it's safe to assume that's something they've snatched up on supply runs and such.
That was probably Daryl's original reason for picking up all that cash.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 05:50 AM   #1608
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Silvercrest wrote: View Post

That was probably Daryl's original reason for picking up all that cash.
Ouch! I'd rather use the golf clothes for that.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:09 AM   #1609
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Anyone notice that after Beth got spattered and took off the cardigan, her shirt had more blood on it than the cardigan did?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 06:30 AM   #1610
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

And then later it didn't. Yeah.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 09:40 AM   #1611
The Festivus Awakens
Airing Grievouses
 
The Festivus Awakens's Avatar
 
Location: Performing Festivus Miracles
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Where's the discussion of that Walking Dead show I've heard so much about? I thought I'd wandered into a discussion of "When do various household and automotive products expire?" for the last several pages. I mean, I get that it stretches credibility a bit sometimes, but there are some things you can let slide for the sake of dramatic expedience. That's possibly not a great sign for the episode's quality that these types of logistics discussions are taking precedence over storytelling concerns, but I thought it was okay.

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I mean we've never seen/heard them buying toilet paper but I think it's safe to assume that's something they've snatched up on supply runs and such.
That was probably Daryl's original reason for picking up all that cash.
He took jewelry as well, though. It was just a part of the episode's (somewhat overdone, IMO, especially in regard to Daryl, who seems to have adapted pretty well) message about letting go of your past and adapting to this new reality, or else.

I agree with those who said the reason for the golf attire on the walkers was probably not that people were playing golf in the middle of a slow burning zombie apocalypse, but because they had raided the golf pro shop for clothing (although, clearly the rich vs. poor dynamic of former club members vs. staff was maintained). In fact, I was extremely surprised that Daryl and Beth didn't make more of an effort to find a wider range of clothes than they did, regardless of how strange it would have looked. I mean, Beth lost her sweater and just gave up on getting a new one, and didn't even consider any kind of jacket or anything, even a light windbreaker. I know it's summer, but it can still get chilly at night in the forest.

There were some good dramatic moments in the episode, especially Daryl's breakdown over failing to protect the group. His growth from person who cared about no one but himself (and his brother to a limit) to reluctant group member to indispensable fighter, leader, and family member and now his attempt at sanity-maintaining return to original form has been handled extremely well, and Norman Reedus deserves recognition for his skills as an actor in addition to just playing a badass.

I thought Beth's pursuit of getting a drink, which may seem shallow to some, was actually a pretty realistic depiction. When everything around you has gone to shit, you have to enjoy the little things just to get by day to day. Plus, since it was her Dad who had forbidden her from drinking, it was a way of metaphorically letting him go after his brutal death, and of saying that she had outgrown her need for him to protect her. I thought the actress did a good job in the episode, as well.

The characters repeatedly did stupid and reckless things this episode, but given Daryl's track record of always getting the job done and being utterly dependable, I think a single (deliberate) lapse in judgment when he was feeling at his worst is understandable and acceptable in-character.

The opening sequence with the walker herd going past the car while they were in the trunk was one of the best, and most frightening, scenes they've done on the show, and all without directly showing any of the walkers. It was entirely up to sound and shadow and footprints after the fact to sell the scope of the terror they faced, and it did so extremely well.
__________________
Locutus of Bored
The Festivus Awakens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 10:25 AM   #1612
kitik
Commander
 
kitik's Avatar
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
I agree with those who said the reason for the golf attire on the walkers was probably not that people were playing golf in the middle of a slow burning zombie apocalypse, but because they had raided the golf pro shop for clothing (although, clearly the rich vs. poor dynamic of former club members vs. staff was maintained). In fact, I was extremely surprised that Daryl and Beth didn't make more of an effort to find a wider range of clothes than they did, regardless of how strange it would have looked. I mean, Beth lost her sweater and just gave up on getting a new one, and didn't even consider any kind of jacket or anything, even a light windbreaker. I know it's summer, but it can still get chilly at night in the forest.
Okay, so unlike other recent items discussed in this thread, clothing has got to be just about the single EASIEST item to find in this world. Every single house they walk by has multiple closets and drawers full of various articles of clothing. If you can't find your size, try the one next door. Let alone any clothing store that would have a thousand different items in your size for you to choose from.
kitik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 12:04 PM   #1613
shivkala
Rear Admiral
 
shivkala's Avatar
 
Location: Patrolling Sector 2814
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

sojourner wrote: View Post
Not sure what your point is here. People in the real world die too. Civilization goes on. Just because people in the walking dead universe have to develop new body disposal methods after death is no reason to give up on the human race.
Yes, people die in the real world. But, in the real world, they don't become threats when they die. A few times in the show they pointed out the danger in large groups living together, because all it takes is one person dying to cause big problems. And disposal only works if you can take care of the body before it turns. Remember early in this season, how they didn't know that kid died from the flu until he turned and attacked those in the prison.

Unlike the typical zombie story, where the hope is eventually someone will kill all the zombies and it will be over, it's never going to end in The Walking Dead universe unless someone can come up with a cure, which, with every passing day, as more of the old infrastructure crumbles, is very unlikely.

Which is not to say that people won't want to survive, but at some point, that doubt has to creep in.
__________________
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 12:31 PM   #1614
Bob Morton
Lieutenant Commander
 
Bob Morton's Avatar
 
Location: BC, Canada
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

I wonder if it was only the people that were alive at the 'time' that were infected with the virus (wherever it originated). Survivors wouldn't realize right away that any babies being born were uninfected; at least til one died of SIDS and then didn't come back. It leaves a bit of hope for solving this in the future.
__________________
Say, I hope you won't think it "evil" of me to ask how you got that stylish head wound?
Bob Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 12:51 PM   #1615
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

DarthTom wrote: View Post
^^^ Question: is the Walking Dead appearing in all international markets outside of the US the same week it's a new episode here? If so, that's kind of unprecedented isn't it?
I can only speak for the UK but we get it the day after the States now, which is why I've poked my head into this thread for the first time. It was never safe to before


shivkala wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Not sure what your point is here. People in the real world die too. Civilization goes on. Just because people in the walking dead universe have to develop new body disposal methods after death is no reason to give up on the human race.
Yes, people die in the real world. But, in the real world, they don't become threats when they die. A few times in the show they pointed out the danger in large groups living together, because all it takes is one person dying to cause big problems. And disposal only works if you can take care of the body before it turns. Remember early in this season, how they didn't know that kid died from the flu until he turned and attacked those in the prison.

Unlike the typical zombie story, where the hope is eventually someone will kill all the zombies and it will be over, it's never going to end in The Walking Dead universe unless someone can come up with a cure, which, with every passing day, as more of the old infrastructure crumbles, is very unlikely.

Which is not to say that people won't want to survive, but at some point, that doubt has to creep in.
Civilisation can go on, it just needs to adapt. They know people turn into walkers when they die, so they should have anticipated what happened at the prison. Forget even flu for the moment, people have accidents all the time, fall down the stairs and break their necks etc. It’s about forward planning, creating a buddy system so that people are rarely alone, or if they are it’s noticed if they’re not back within certain timeframes, and also about partitioning people off as well. The most annoying thing about the flu/walker outbreak in the prison was that they were in the perfect place to institute such partitioning, and really everyone should have been locking themselves in their cells at night, and cell blocks could be sealed off from each other as well, just in case.

There will always be things you can’t plan for, but you could mitigate a lot of the risks. Whether it’s a civilisation you’d want to live in or not is another debate, but humanity has overcome myriad other obstacles to build large scale societies, and could do again in the TWD universe.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 12:58 PM   #1616
bountifulboxesjeg
Vice Admiral
 
bountifulboxesjeg's Avatar
 
Location: bbjeg
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Bob Morton wrote: View Post
I wonder if it was only the people that were alive at the 'time' that were infected with the virus (wherever it originated). Survivors wouldn't realize right away that any babies being born were uninfected; at least til one died of SIDS and then didn't come back. It leaves a bit of hope for solving this in the future.

Last edited by bountifulboxesjeg; March 6 2014 at 01:16 PM.
bountifulboxesjeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 01:06 PM   #1617
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

Condoms exist, birth control pills exist and both are plentiful especially considering it seems the overwhelming majority of the population is gone. We don't need to see every minutiae. Glenn and Maggie have condoms and/or birth control pills.
Then what was the point of Maggie confirming she was not pregnant? Obviously, they are not trying to have a child in that world, so her statement means they are sexually active, but do not have access to birth control.
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 01:10 PM   #1618
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Birth control is not %100 effective.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 01:12 PM   #1619
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
And none of that birth control will ever expire, just like gasoline!
Well, expiration dates on medicine is..... fuzzier. It can also be used past its expiration date it's just less effective/less likely to work. Unlike gasoline which becomes unusable.
Some meds are known to become life-threatening beyond the expiration date; elements are not rendered "inactive" by getting old in the bottle. The same applies to supplements.
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2014, 01:29 PM   #1620
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

sojourner wrote: View Post
Birth control is not %100 effective.
It is more likely that they were talking about a lack of BC in a situation where supplies are no longer abundant (ZA-inspired scavenging by survivors) than the effectiveness of BC in general.

Remember the kind of show TWD is.
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
season 4, the walking dead, twd

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.