Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 3 2014, 10:07 PM   #1531
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Why are you pairing him with a limited actress who looks like a teenager? He doesn't have to be with a young girl.
While Daryl and Beth "hooking up" would not be a problem, it is not going to happen in any case. If Daryl survives, the "will they / won't they" with Carol could be on the horizon, or a triangle with Carol warming up to Tyrese, only to have Daryl show up.

But, then there's the "last man standing" telegraph from last night's episode, which sort of suggests he will be anything but that.
Old March 3 2014, 10:16 PM   #1532
sojourner
Admiral

Beth made several comments, especially during they're argument, that would have immediately summoned a zombie to kill her in a modern horror movie.
Old March 3 2014, 10:24 PM   #1533
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

PKerr wrote: View Post

Ahh.. here is the one I was talking about earlier.

http://i.imgur.com/laWdRlK.jpg?2
This chart kind of supports my theory that Terminus may be a train station. Firstly they are walking on the rail road tracks to find Terminus. And several of the walkers were railroad men.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 10:26 PM   #1534
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

DarthTom wrote: View Post
PKerr wrote: View Post
I thought the whole country club rich Vs. Poor thing was a reach, It's not like the whole ZA happened over night, they were bombing down town Atlanta for cripes sake, so instead of being at home with your family you are going to play golf and other are going to show up to carry your bags around?
The thing that got me was several of the walkers were still in their little golf outfits.
Good point. As if the golf caddies, waiters, chefs et al would still show up for work in the middle of a ZA. This is where the writers don't think the plot out well despite the best intentions. I'll accept that the cars still run and the gasoline is still good because I've suspended my disbelief that the dead can come back to life and don't rot very fast.

However, when within the story arc the story itself starts to not make sense - people golfing during a ZA as you point out - is when it becomes less interesting and outright illogical and stupid.
I can see where people who worked there or were members went there thinking it was a good location. Open space to see what is coming, food in the kitchen, etc. And once inside the members still kept treating the others as a lower tier citizen. Only problem is in this situation, who you are doen't matter as much as what you can do. And when it comes to working with their hands for defense of the location, I am giving the benefit of the doubt to the staff.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 10:47 PM   #1535
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I can see where people who worked there or were members went there thinking it was a good location.
But in your golf pants for god-sake? As others have said I think the writers didn't think through the location other than it would be a cool new location for Daryl to have a crisis about his past and they could test out some new shock zombie deaths. e.g. the hanging zombies on the noose. I'm also wondering if someone associated with the show had a very negative experience at a country club sometime., perhaps as an employee?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2014, 11:14 PM   #1536
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I can see where people who worked there or were members went there thinking it was a good location.
But in your golf pants for god-sake? As others have said I think the writers didn't think through the location other than it would be a cool new location for Daryl to have a crisis about his past and they could test out some new shock zombie deaths. e.g. the hanging zombies on the noose. I'm also wondering if someone associated with the show had a very negative experience at a country club sometime., perhaps as an employee?
Considering the place had a store, and considering that a lot of people probably didn't pack luggage while being chased by hordes of flesh-eating monsters, why's it so hard to figure out that they probably got their clothes from the shop after they arrived and shored up their defenses?

Are you going to complain about Beth wearing a golf shirt?

If you're going to get upset at the writer's for not thinking things through, it's probably a good idea to do some of that yourself first.
Old March 4 2014, 12:20 AM   #1537
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I honestly didn't think "Beth's" acting was that bad last night she acted perfectly like petulant teenager SHOULD act. Think about this, she's what 17? Maybe 18? She should be sneaking out of her bedroom to hang out with her besties to drink wine coolers and smoke pot. Instead she's running for her life in a day-to-day struggle. And from her perspective she just saw her father get slaughtered by a mad-man just a day or two ago. So, her behavior sort of makes sense here.

I think the actress is doing a good job and her and Norman had pretty good (platonic) chemistry here. I really, really don't think they'll go with a romantic angle between the two. The actress may be old enough to be in a relationship a man Norman's age (in theory. Some would still find a some-20 year age difference icky) I'm not sure selling the idea of a 40-something man hooking up with a teenager (even if she's legal age) would go over well with the network or audiences. It might just be a bit *too* uncomfortable to watch. I think it's best their relationship stays platonic.

Ahh.. here is the one I was talking about earlier.

http://i.imgur.com/laWdRlK.jpg?2
Ehhhh... Still not sure I agree with Glenn and Tara being on the second day. There's no indication of that. First of all, everyone's stories began soon after the prison fell. Why would Glenn's story begin a full day later? And Tara was just sulking in that cage for a day? No, I still think Glenn and Tara are on the first day.
Old March 4 2014, 12:32 AM   #1538
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I'm not sure we can project our mores onto people who've gone through what they've gone through.
Old March 4 2014, 12:38 AM   #1539
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I'm not sure we can project our mores onto people who've gone through what they've gone through.
No, but people still have to be comfortable watching the show and the network still has to be comfortable with it enough to sell it to advertisers whom themselves have to be comfortable with it.

I think have a 40-something year old man (who's supposed to be a "good guy") shacking up with a teenage girl would push some boundaries it may not need to cross.

*I* have no problem with it as if beth is 18 she's of age. But people would still look at such a coupling with a raised eyebrow. People don't think good things about a 40-year-old man dating an 18-year-old girl.

In modern law yeah Daryl'd be in the clear and in a fallen society he'd be even more in the clear but all of that doesn't mean audiences, network executives and advertisers would be okay with it.
Old March 4 2014, 12:55 AM   #1540
publiusr
Commodore

Well, in a planet with a reduced living population, you need new rules. I don't see anything wrong with them having a relationship--but they are on different wavelengths.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2014, 01:02 AM   #1541
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

publiusr wrote: View Post
Well, in a planet with a reduced living population, you need new rules. I don't see anything wrong with them having a relationship--but they are on different wavelengths.
We're not talking about in-universe rules. We're talking about real-world rules. The network and advertisers aren't going to take "in their world it makes sense!" as an answer if they're uncomfortable with the show having a middle-aged man engaging in a sexual relationship with a teenager.
Old March 4 2014, 01:11 AM   #1542
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

The only people even suggesting that their relationship is romantic in nature are you guys. The show is clearly showing a more brother-sister relationship forming between them. There hasn't been anything romantic about it at all, and if there is, it's entirely on Beth's side -- and "schoolgirl crushes" are as incredibly common in fiction.
Old March 4 2014, 01:18 AM   #1543
sojourner
Admiral

Yeah, despite Daryl's upbringing, I always felt there was a "southern gentleman" aspect to it. He just wouldn't entertain the notion.
Old March 4 2014, 01:21 AM   #1544
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I doubt he would either and I sort-of doubt Beth is "his type." But, I'd say the same about Carol too.

On the "shipping" business it's common in the fandom it seems as it was brought up during The Talking Dead last night.
Old March 4 2014, 01:38 AM   #1545
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who got a vibe about Beth having a thing for Daryl. Makes me feel a lot less pervy to know I wasn't the only one. :P

I don't want it to happen, don't think it will, or should. But I did wonder quite a few times, especially when she was so intent on getting drunk and then getting him to drink and then "have you ever" game and I was just leery of them using that as a means to have something happen and I was glad it didn't, but for most of the episode the subtext was... unusual...

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote