RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 521
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 19 2013, 08:52 PM   #136
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 4

Here's my thoughts on the likelihood of the various characters getting killed:

Rick and Glenn: Two of the few remaining cast members and characters from the comic book. Rick is the "hero" of the series and, really, the series is about him and his journey. He's about the safest character on the show. Glenn is our "everyman" and our "trying to make it in this crazy world" character. I'd say he stands a good chance of surviving the series.

Daryl: A fan-favorite character and someone whose come a very long way from the angry redneck in the first season. Given how popular the character is I doubt he'll die any time soon as it'd seriously risk alienating many of the viewers.

Carl: Though an original character and a staple in the comic I'm afraid he may not be long for the world. Children age fast and before too long the child actor's aging faster than Carl is going to become more and more apparent. While four or five years have passed for us it's only been inside two years for the characters. Probably just barely over one year. And Carl's aging shows. It's going to become a bigger and bigger issue, like Walt on "Lost" and either at some point the series will need to jump forward a few years or they'll need to kill Carl to keep things somewhat consistent looking.

Judith: She's a baby. As dark as this show can be I doubt she'll die.

Michonne: A comic book character who's something of a central figure. I doubt she'll die any time soon.

Hershel: Likely has a target on his back, but he's also an important character as he serves as the voice of Rick's conscious. Without introducing another "wise old man" character he's likely pretty safe.

Maggie: She brings the series the "babe factor" as well as being part of Glenn's "arc" of trying to live as normal of a life as possible in this new world. Killing her could bring an interesting arc for Glenn but it's likely she's pretty safe.

Beth: Little more than a background character. She's probably "fairly" safe as killing her would only serve to further "punish" Hershel, who's been "punished enough" to the point his arc is over.

Carol: Frankly, she's beyond on borrowed time. If anyone isn't going to survive the season it'll be her. If for no other reason than for how interesting it'll make things for Daryl's character.

Karen: Don't see her surviving the season.

Sasha: Someone else I don't see surviving the season.

Tyrese: Also don't see him surviving the season.

Alcoholic Black Guy/Prison New Commer: Might as well be wearing a red shirt. He'll likely survivor until the mid-season hiatus. Maybe.

In short: Rick, Daryl, Glenn and Maggie (as well as Judith) I'd say are the safest. Hershel, Beth, Carl and Michonne are pretty safe. Carol is on borrowed time, and everyone else is potential cannon fodder.
Old October 20 2013, 04:20 AM   #137
Mojochi
Commodore

Frankly, Maggie is not really worth much, except that she's hot, & they can find that anywhere. Glenn could be a hell of a lot more interesting if she died. Though I don't anticipate it being anytime soon, I feel like this show may go big shocker in another season or 2 & kill Rick at some point. Him being the anchor for the show has been waning in small ways for quite some time. Hershel is useful, & a welcomed addition, but not a lock for a safe pass.

I do feel like Michonne is here to stay for a while, & I actually feel like Tyrese might have some lasting power, but I could be wrong on that one. Seems like he has a lot of growth potential. I really have a soft spot for Beth, & would hate to see her die, but it's hard to ignore that she's on the list of potential doom.

I don't see Carl as being all that safe either. He is constantly making dumb decisions, taking undue risks & causing difficulty. He always seems to have a lot of wrong thinking going on, because he has something to prove all the time, & that's bad juju, but seeing how there seems to be a theme this season of the kids becoming hardened faster than the adults, I figure he might last the season or at least to the near end of it
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 04:41 AM   #138
JD
Admiral

I think Tyrese might be fairly safe. He seems to be a pretty popular character in the comics, so I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the character around to try to build the him up more and match that popularity.
Old October 20 2013, 04:57 AM   #139
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

For the characters I love, it is enough to have spent any time with them at all.

The impact of the characters does not end with their lives. And like Merle, not even death stops some of them from making a terrific and lasting appearance.

No one is "safe," and that's the way I like it.
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 05:40 AM   #140
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I think Beth, Sasha, Karen, Alcoholic Black Guy and maybe Herschel will be among the next to be taken out. I do like Herschel, though, and I hope he sticks around awhile longer.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 09:45 AM   #141
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I still hope they kill off Rick, I don't care how often people tell me it's his story, it's "The Walking Dead" not "Rick Grimes' zombie adventure", it should be an ensemble show with no central character, shift the focus to a different character depending on the storyline or episode.

I'm pretty sure they'll kill Judith, she's not a character just a living prop, getting rid of her would mean lots of drama and the writers wouldn't be forced to include her in scenes or making up excuses where she is when the main cast is doing interesting stuff. The show started with a little blond girl being shot in the face, so I don't see why they wouldn't kill a baby.

There was one scene that I really disliked in this episode, it was when Rick retrieved the buried gun, what kind of moron would put a working gun in the ground? They didn't have an accident for a month but that doesn't mean they're safe and don't need guns, the friggin zombies are still rattling the fence, they go out for supply runs, the governor is still out there and they know everyone who dies turns, so why would anyone hide a weapon when they're not even safe inside the prison?
What if anyone drops dead in the shower ... oh wait, that happened, I hope whoever decides to take a shower next didn't forget to bring his or her gun to the zombie apocalypse?
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 11:12 AM   #142
Mojochi
Commodore

Takeru wrote: View Post
The show started with a little blond girl being shot in the face, so I don't see why they wouldn't kill a baby.
Then in season 2 they shot everyone's favorite little blonde girl in the face
Old October 20 2013, 11:21 AM   #143
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

There was one scene that I really disliked in this episode, it was when Rick retrieved the buried gun, what kind of moron would put a working gun in the ground?
It was my interpretation the gun was buried there for a long time, possibly by a prisoner at some point before the ZA?
Old October 20 2013, 11:55 AM   #144
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I assumed it had fallen there during the Governor's attack on the prison, suggesting some time had passed.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 04:43 PM   #145
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Mojochi wrote: View Post
The show started with a little blond girl being shot in the face, so I don't see why they wouldn't kill a baby.
Then in season 2 they shot everyone's favorite little blonde girl in the face
So, as long as Judith isn't blonde, she might have a chance!

I assumed that the gun was not Rick's, but was one lost at least a few months ago (by the Governor's men or earlier, by those in the prison when things went to Hell). Even if it is his gun (which I doubt), I can forgive it due to its symbolic nature. Rick digging up the gun, then being told by Hershel he needs to arm himself when he goes outside the prison really summed up what Rick's journey has been since we've seen him last and foreshadow's a time in which he'll need to take up arms again.

If I have one criticism about Rick, it's that he doesn't have so much of a character arc, as he allows the events to mold him (yes, I realize that is a character arc, in a way). What I mean is that, to me, Rick's changes aren't meaningful.

Contrast this with Daryl becoming less of an asshole for the sake of being an asshole into a leader or Andrea's slow journey from a "woe is me, everything sucks character" to one who tried to make a difference, or Glenn's arc which brought him from someone willing to risk himself since he didn't have anything to live for to someone who'd die to protect what he has.

This could be viewed in two ways: (1) the writers, partly due to show runners changing at the drop of a hat, haven't put much thought into what they want to do with Rick's character or (2) Rick is the most "human" character, in terms of the fact that we don't have character arcs, we just adapt (or not) to the circumstances of our lives.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 04:58 PM   #146
Mojochi
Commodore

I just took it as some buried gun, from a time before the encampment, that's unearthing was entirely symbolic. Clearly, there'd be no reason to be burying a community weapon in the garden
Old October 20 2013, 06:06 PM   #147
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The other thing could be is that if Carl has picked up his dad's new attitude he could have buried it. On the time issue, last season started with the season change back to Spring after the ZA. Given Judith is still an immobile infant I'd guess were just a couple months after S3 maybe in that following Summer.

Last edited by Trekker4747; October 20 2013 at 08:10 PM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2013, 07:35 PM   #148
Mojochi
Commodore

Seems like I heard somewhere it was 6 months... Talking Dead?
Old October 20 2013, 08:35 PM   #149
Relayer1
Commodore

Haven't read much of the thread (spoilers) but just watched episode 1 - better than most of season 3, but still on the tedious side...
Old October 20 2013, 09:25 PM   #150
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

It seems he actually dug up the gun, it wasn't just laying there. Now, a buried gun won't do you much good against a zombie.

So my interpretation is that it was buried by a prisoner as a sort of insurance policy or perhaps in a jailbreak plan, or some kind of secret trade. Regardless, it would take a long time for a gun to get buried by natural forces in that environment, so I doubt the Governor had dropped it.

Now, in light of the season opening with community building, and them trying to make a life for themselves - I see the gun as a reminder, or even foreshadowing, that there was still danger to face within the walls. That any sense of community and safety was an illusion. As leader, Rick would have to remain aware of that even as he convinced the community of their safety and normalcy. It seemed to me like one of those little details that separates a leader from a group - the sacrifice of any sense of safety. He pulled out his earbud to hear the truth of what was occuring on the other side of the fence. IE, his blanket of security and sanity was a tool, but not his trap.

- And he threw it in the barrow and kept digging, working for improvement, no matter how Sisyphusian. So it reveals the tenacity of his character.
Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote