RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,361
Posts: 5,446,195
Members: 24,970
Currently online: 459
Newest member: LaciFalor

TrekToday headlines

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 8 2013, 01:44 AM   #16
Candlefright
Admiral
 
Candlefright's Avatar
 
Location: Candlelight
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

Do I only know of this event? Or other future events? Like should I tell Kirk to head over to Ceti Alpha 5 for a quick nosey? Or warn Marcus not to board the Grissom? Or use the Enterprise to go back in time and beam some whale up in advance of the probe's arrival?
__________________
"I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."
Candlefright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 08:53 AM   #17
gastrof
Rear Admiral
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Location: New Vulcan
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

Melakon wrote: View Post
Disregarding insulting a commenter's intelligence, how do you gain the information that Ilia is going to be killed?...

Nobody was insulted.

Except maybe me.

I don't know, as was mentioned, if the reply was a deliberate giving of a hard time, if the individual was just plain refusing, for some reason, to join in with what the thread was obviously about, or WHAT was going on.

As for how you gain the info, again, it's YOU who finds yourself on the Enterprise. YOU, the real YOU.

You already know what's coming, because you're YOU.

Again, is this THAT hard a thing to grasp?

As for how you can relay this information, how you can get them to listen to you...

That's part of the problem now, isn't it?
__________________
Trek:
Onscreen is canon, books are interesting. Movies change canon, scissors wrap paper...or...something.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 08:55 AM   #18
gastrof
Rear Admiral
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Location: New Vulcan
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

R. Star wrote: View Post
Real classy. Perhaps you would like to kick a puppy while you're at it?
No, I think I'll leave that to you.
__________________
Trek:
Onscreen is canon, books are interesting. Movies change canon, scissors wrap paper...or...something.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 08:59 AM   #19
gastrof
Rear Admiral
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Location: New Vulcan
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Wow, somebody needs to get out of their house more.


I can't help that you came up with a rather flawed idea. Don't get all mad and pissy at me for that.

EDIT: Hell, my question still stands, "How can anyone on the refit Enterprise know in advance that Ilia was going to be kidnapped by V'Ger?" They didn't even know who the hell V'Ger was or what it wanted. Now you think about that.
No, I think someone needs to read and think before replying more.

The idea isn't flawed, but the answer was, since there was no thinking about what the question was.

As for how you'd know, again, you're not paying attention.

YOU find yourself aboard the Enterprise. Again, YOU.

Do YOU know the plot of TMP? Yes? Well then, THAT is how you know, because you're YOU.

It was pretty easy to understand, if you just read the opening post.

You're amazing, dude, really.
__________________
Trek:
Onscreen is canon, books are interesting. Movies change canon, scissors wrap paper...or...something.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 09:01 AM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

gastrof wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Real classy. Perhaps you would like to kick a puppy while you're at it?
No, I think I'll leave that to you.
Is that supposed to mean something? Between comments like that and the replies you gave Melakon and Evans, I actually wonder why you bother. You're not even participating in the conversation on subject, and you're just ripping into people who post something you don't like.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 09:11 AM   #21
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

I would warn them, though would probably go to Spock and explain the situation to him in a calm and thought out manner, so that he could then deal with Kirk.

Ilia would be saved, Decker wouldn't need to sacrifice himself, V'ger could be stopped before it got into Earth orbit (thanks to the sacrifice of Ensign Ricky). Afterwards, Kirk would go back to HQ where he could get doughy behind a desk, Decker would resume his rightful command, Spock would return to Vulcan, McCoy would return to his civilian life and the new Enterprise crew could head out on many wonderful adventures.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 09:21 AM   #22
gastrof
Rear Admiral
 
gastrof's Avatar
 
Location: New Vulcan
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
gastrof, we don't insult people's intelligence like that here. And we don't try to lure someone into a fight. Infraction for trolling, comments to PM, please.
Actually, as already said, nobody was insulted except perhaps me.

Nobody was lured into a fight. That's YOUR imagination running wild.

I'm not responsible for the thoughts and feelings of a phantom you've dreamed up in your imagination and then stamped my board name onto.

There WAS no trolling, except possibly an attempt to sabotage this thread.

I'm quite aware of how things are to be done on ANY message board, including this one, since it appears I've actually been here, oddly enough, since the day BEFORE you joined back in May of '01.

As for infractions, there's no legitimate one here, but perhaps there should be one in the case of a mod who abused their authority.

As for me replying in a PM, why? You made your attack on me in public, why would I not be able to reply in public?

You'd do well to take into account something-

What you imagine someone felt or was trying to do is not what they were feeling or doing. It's simply what YOU'RE imagining.

I'm not going to reply to any more of the responses in this thread, since a simple game has been ruined, including by you.

Favoritism, perhaps, on your part, where a personal friend is concerned, maybe?

You ought to be ashamed of yourself, and I'm owed an apology.

Doubt you'll give it.
__________________
Trek:
Onscreen is canon, books are interesting. Movies change canon, scissors wrap paper...or...something.
gastrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 09:29 AM   #23
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I would warn them, though would probably go to Spock and explain the situation to him in a calm and thought out manner, so that he could then deal with Kirk.

Ilia would be saved, Decker wouldn't need to sacrifice himself, V'ger could be stopped before it got into Earth orbit (thanks to the sacrifice of Ensign Ricky). Afterwards, Kirk would go back to HQ where he could get doughy behind a desk, Decker would resume his rightful command, Spock would return to Vulcan, McCoy would return to his civilian life and the new Enterprise crew could head out on many wonderful adventures.
Except... Khan hijacks Reliant and Genesis as normal. But not being able to lure Kirk in since he's behind a desk, he takes Reliant to Earth and uses the Genesis device just to kill Kirk. His reign on the New Terran Empire is glorious but alas short as the planet destabilizes and any escape is impossible due to the arrival of the whale probe. Once Praxis blows up, this leaves the Romulans as the dominant power in the region.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 10:31 AM   #24
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

gastrof wrote: View Post
Would you warn them that V'ger was going to take Ilia?

(I got a copy of the "special longer version" in the mail today, and have it running as I type. And yeah, I'm especially enjoying it. Been a long time.)
No, I wouldn't warn them. It is my opinion that sheer luck is what resulted in the prevention of Earth's destruction. Any deviation from the events that took place in TMP might result in destruction. So, no.
__________________
Twilight Sparkle: It sounds like somepony is jealous.
Spike: [writing] Rainbow Dash is jealous.
Rainbow Dash: Don't write that, Spike! [all the other ponies laugh]
Spike: [writing] Correction; Rainbow Dash is very jealous.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 02:18 PM   #25
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral
 
Guy Gardener's Avatar
 
Location: In the lap of squalor I assure you.
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

I would be more concerned about V'Ger in the Abramsverse, you know if there wasn't that comic book about how Nero already took care of it while waiting for Old Spock.
__________________
"Glitter is the herpes of arts and craft."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 02:44 PM   #26
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO
 
cardinal biggles's Avatar
 
Location: potrzebie
Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

Since V'Ger didn't just want to transmit its data to Earth, but actually wanted to evolve, the capture of Ilia is a necessary step in Decker's ultimate decision to leave life as we know it and merge with the entity so he can have metaphysical nookie with his ex for the next several millennia. So no, I wouldn't warn them.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 03:44 PM   #27
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore
 
Bry_Sinclair's Avatar
 
Location: Tactical withdrawl along the Klingon border
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

R. Star wrote: View Post
Except... Khan hijacks Reliant and Genesis as normal. But not being able to lure Kirk in since he's behind a desk, he takes Reliant to Earth and uses the Genesis device just to kill Kirk. His reign on the New Terran Empire is glorious but alas short as the planet destabilizes and any escape is impossible due to the arrival of the whale probe. Once Praxis blows up, this leaves the Romulans as the dominant power in the region.
Or...

Khan hijacks the Reliant and sets course for Earth, but Starfleet is tipped off by the lack of contact from the ship, so dispatches a fleet (spread out in a 3D pattern, since Khan apparantly can't adapt to the extra dimension) to intercept and engage the Reliant. The ship is destroyed light-years away from anywhere, the Genesis Planet isn't formed, David Marcus survives and both he and Saavik remain onboard the Enterprise when Decker takes it back to 1986 to recover humpback whales.

TFF is just completely forgotten about. Then due to his more enlightened mentality, Decker doesn't start in interstellar incident with the Klingons.
__________________
Avatar: Captain Naya, U.S.S. Renown NCC-1415 [Star Trek: Four Years War]
Manip by: JM1776 (STPMA.net)
Bry_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 04:52 PM   #28
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist
 
Occupy TNZ's Avatar
 
Location: Garak
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

Just when you think a dumb shit thread couldn't get any dumber, this happens:

You ought to be ashamed of yourself, and I'm owed an apology.
__________________
NO TO FREE MARKET YES TO FREE SHIT
Occupy TNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 06:25 PM   #29
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
Ghouleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Refitprise during TMP...

I like ST:TMP and it's been one of my favorite Trek films since I was a kid. I tend to enjoy theoretical "what if" discussion threads.

Your mean spirited ranting is an insult to both of those things. This could have been a halfway enjoyable and fun little discussion but no - you had to go ruin it with your childish, stupid and condescending behavior.

Nobody should apologize to you for anything.

Thanks for nothing.
__________________
"On Halloween night the Great Temporal Pumpkin rises out of the Chroniton patch and flies through space to bring new timelines to all the good little children of the galaxy." -cooleddie74
Ghouleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 06:28 PM   #30
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: If you found yourself aboard the Enterprise during TMP...

gastrof wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
Disregarding insulting a commenter's intelligence, how do you gain the information that Ilia is going to be killed?...

Nobody was insulted.

Except maybe me.

I don't know, as was mentioned, if the reply was a deliberate giving of a hard time, if the individual was just plain refusing, for some reason, to join in with what the thread was obviously about, or WHAT was going on.

As for how you gain the info, again, it's YOU who finds yourself on the Enterprise. YOU, the real YOU.

You already know what's coming, because you're YOU.

Again, is this THAT hard a thing to grasp?

As for how you can relay this information, how you can get them to listen to you...

That's part of the problem now, isn't it?
gastrof wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Real classy. Perhaps you would like to kick a puppy while you're at it?
No, I think I'll leave that to you.
gastrof wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Wow, somebody needs to get out of their house more.


I can't help that you came up with a rather flawed idea. Don't get all mad and pissy at me for that.

EDIT: Hell, my question still stands, "How can anyone on the refit Enterprise know in advance that Ilia was going to be kidnapped by V'Ger?" They didn't even know who the hell V'Ger was or what it wanted. Now you think about that.
No, I think someone needs to read and think before replying more.

The idea isn't flawed, but the answer was, since there was no thinking about what the question was.

As for how you'd know, again, you're not paying attention.

YOU find yourself aboard the Enterprise. Again, YOU.

Do YOU know the plot of TMP? Yes? Well then, THAT is how you know, because you're YOU.

It was pretty easy to understand, if you just read the opening post.

You're amazing, dude, really.
gastrof wrote: View Post
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
gastrof, we don't insult people's intelligence like that here. And we don't try to lure someone into a fight. Infraction for trolling, comments to PM, please.
Actually, as already said, nobody was insulted except perhaps me.

Nobody was lured into a fight. That's YOUR imagination running wild.

I'm not responsible for the thoughts and feelings of a phantom you've dreamed up in your imagination and then stamped my board name onto.

There WAS no trolling, except possibly an attempt to sabotage this thread.

I'm quite aware of how things are to be done on ANY message board, including this one, since it appears I've actually been here, oddly enough, since the day BEFORE you joined back in May of '01.

As for infractions, there's no legitimate one here, but perhaps there should be one in the case of a mod who abused their authority.

As for me replying in a PM, why? You made your attack on me in public, why would I not be able to reply in public?

You'd do well to take into account something-

What you imagine someone felt or was trying to do is not what they were feeling or doing. It's simply what YOU'RE imagining.

I'm not going to reply to any more of the responses in this thread, since a simple game has been ruined, including by you.

Favoritism, perhaps, on your part, where a personal friend is concerned, maybe?

You ought to be ashamed of yourself, and I'm owed an apology.

Doubt you'll give it.
gastrof, you are clearly spoiling for a fight here. It is the policy of the TrekBBS to respond to infractions via PM also. If you don't like it, you are free to go elsewhere. A further infraction for trolling has been given.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.