Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 7 2013, 04:01 AM   #16
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Need some help with a college assignment!

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Just because everyone else in class is wasting their tuition money doesn't mean that you should as well. If I let what the students around me were doing define my college experience then I would have learned nothing but how to make a brightly colored MySpace page. Not really worth the thousands of dollars I put towards my education.
This is the most important advice anyone can give you, hxclespaulplayer.

The students playing instead of learning are probably sliding by while their parents pay the tuition. Those of us who had to pay our way, actually studied. We EARNED our education. After graduating, we put our education to good use. The ones you see playing around are the same ones who will be living in their parents' basement while complaining no one will hire them.

Earn your education, my friend, and put it to good use.
Old May 9 2013, 02:53 AM   #17
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

hxclespaulplayer wrote: View Post
I'm not sure quite where to start, but once I get going I'll be fine:

"Is there a predominant ‘type’ of gendered body in America today? Discuss with reference to male OR female bodies (not both) and using any two of the readings from weeks 7 (beauty/beauty pageants), 8 (gendered bodies/body size), or 9 (boxing)"
How about doing a journal search using the key words?
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 06:38 PM   #18
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

And the results are in. B-, B-, B- and C.

This is an interesting and engaging reflection. It’s great that you identify a relationship between the slender ideal, economic structures and the mass media but sometimes your argument around these topics is a little unclear. For instance, I’m not sure on the relevance of the examples about workplaces and such things as rape laws to body type and size- can you clarify why you’ve included them? Also, can you say more about why you think such a slender ideal exists and what purpose it serves socially? For instance, why do you think the Biggest Loser has been a successful (if not pretty horrible!) TV show? Is it because it reinforces the slender type of body? Some more reflection on and incorporation of references from the readings in the Reader may help with all this. I’m glad you are enjoying the course
My grade was only three points lower than my last assignment. I told the tutor that I thought she was being lenient, she explained that she had to mark my work in relation to the average student - so I guess I'm either putting more effort in than the average student, or just have a knack for gender issues. Next up, my last piece of work for the unit, a 3500 word essay, which counts for 40% of my final grade:

Clothing and appearance are not trivial. Critically discuss this statement in relation to Muslim women and the practice of veiling and discourses of beauty in the West.
I actually feel this will be easier than the assignment I was complaining about. Long - being seven times longer than any prior assignment - but easy.
hxclespaulplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 07:41 PM   #19
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Glad to hear it turned out okay!

Am I understanding correctly that the B-'s were the previous assignments, and the C was this one? Maybe your grading system is different, but I'm used to C being average (or, in some places with grade inflation, below average). I'm wondering how you concluded that a C means "either putting more effort in than the average student, or just have a knack for gender issues." Sounds like you were right in the middle of the pack. Which is fine. I'm not putting down the grade, just questioning the conclusion you drew from it.

BTW, I'm curious about the connection you apparently made between rape laws and body type/size, too. Care to explain?
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 01:06 PM   #20
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

C is generally not average anymore. With grade inflation, I suspect it's an ok grade, but on the low end. I know that, for my major, I could not pass a required course with anything lower than a C overall for that course. However, that being said, given the starting point for that assignment, congratulations on pulling through. Please do the assignments from now on (or figure out which ones you can get away with skipping). You'll do fine after that.
Old May 24 2013, 04:33 PM   #21
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
Glad to hear it turned out okay!

Am I understanding correctly that the B-'s were the previous assignments, and the C was this one? Maybe your grading system is different, but I'm used to C being average (or, in some places with grade inflation, below average). I'm wondering how you concluded that a C means "either putting more effort in than the average student, or just have a knack for gender issues." Sounds like you were right in the middle of the pack. Which is fine. I'm not putting down the grade, just questioning the conclusion you drew from it.

BTW, I'm curious about the connection you apparently made between rape laws and body type/size, too. Care to explain?
Nope, there were four criteria for marking the assignment:

*Demonstrated knowledge of and engagement with some of the sociological concepts, theories and arguments profiled in lectures, tutorials and in unit reader. Presents a clear and relevant response to the question (35%). (B-)

*Application of sociological concepts, theories and arguments to issues in one’s everyday life and/or contemporary culture (35%) (B-)

Ability to correctly apply Harvard referencing style (15%). (C)

Use of appropriate language, written expression, and correct spelling and grammar (15%).
(B-)

As for the connection... I was giving a couple of examples of gender discrimination in the west, when the essay was mostly about body type and shape.
hxclespaulplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2013, 05:34 PM   #22
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ In other words, there was no connection.

That's very detailed grading! It that typical there?
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote