Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 14 2013, 05:22 PM   #31
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Re: Who likes cooking?

Sigokat wrote: View Post
I'm not entirely sure I guess whichever would go with a pecan pie.
In that case a plain shortbread dough would be best:
Sift 250 g ( a good 2 cups) of flour onto the table or into a big bowl.
Add a pinch of baking powder, 1 pinch of salt, 60-70 g (slightly less than 1/3 cup) sugar and the finely grated zest of half a lemon and mix these dry ingredients a bit with your hands.
Make a crater in the flour-heap and cut 175 g (a good 3/4 cup) cold butter or margarine into small bits and spread them on the flour-mountain.
Crack a very large egg open and put it in the crater. (You can also use 1 smaller egg and 1 yolk or 3 yolks - the more yolks, the more brittle the dough gets) and add 2 tablespooons of milk, sour cream, water or white wine.
Now with a fork beat some flour from the rim into the egg/milk mixture. Knead in the rest of the flour and the butter. Work very quickly, the ingredients must stay cold else the dough gets too soft to properly roll out.
Leave to rest in a cool place for at least half an hour (you can make the dough 1 day in advance).
Then roll the dough out and press it into your pie dish. Cool again before filling if the dough gets too soft.

Now you have 2 options: fill the pie crust with dried peas and bake it. (The baked peas can be reused for future pie shells.) Then insert the filling into the readily baked crust.
Or: fill the pie immediately and bake it with the filling.

Bake at 200-225°C / 400-430°F (lower temperature when filled, higher one when not filled. Depends a bit on the oven, though.)

======
simplified version / grandmother method:
1/2 lbs of flour , 1/4 lbs of butter, 1/8 lbs of sugar plus a pinch of salt, baking powder (or baking soda), 1 egg and a dollop of milkor water. Lemon zest or vanilla to taste.

The trick with this simplified version is the relation 4:2:1 with flour, butter and sugar It's easier to as the above version. To improve this basic recipe simply take a little more butter and eggs and - voila! - you'll have the same as the long version
Old May 14 2013, 08:17 PM   #32
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I love too cook, but my cooking is pretty limited. Want to find new recipes and learn to cook healthier. My parents are leaving for a trip for a few weeks so that might be the time I experiment with new meals.
Old May 14 2013, 09:20 PM   #33
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the recipes and the magazine recommendation. I've found some easy-to-cook items from Food Network mag that are worth a try, using simple ingredients, too.
Old May 14 2013, 10:16 PM   #34
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I love their website, myself. I can also recommend Epicurious.
Peach Wookiee is online now   Reply With Quote