Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 6 2013, 07:17 AM   #16
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)
Re: Who likes cooking?

Kestra wrote: View Post
Sigokat wrote: View Post
I make a killer pecan pie. Got the recipe from an old cookbook called someting like "Cook like a peasant, eat like a king"

I haven't mastered making my own pie crusts yet, but I have a recipe book from my late Grandmother that has a recipe for crusts in it that I'll probably attempt when I return from deployment. (Will have frozen crusts on hand in the freezer just in case it doesn't work out!
Interested in sharing the recipe? I don't like pecan pie myself, but it's always a family request at Thanksgiving!

I usually enjoy cooking, especially for others. It's a great creative outlet.
I totally would, but I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan so I have no way to get to the recipe.

If you can find a good recipe I would recommend trying to get fresh pecans if you can, it makes the pie so much better. I'm fortunate to have 3 large pecan trees in my backyard, so after I fight the squirrels and gather what I can, I use those in the recipe.
Old May 6 2013, 03:11 PM   #17
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Sigokat, what kind of pie shell recipe were you looking for? For sweet or savory pies? I have recipes for both.

Kestra, Amazon has the recipe book Sigokat quoted as source for the pecan pie recipe: http://www.amazon.com/Cook-like-peas.../dp/0695805924
Old May 7 2013, 03:16 AM   #18
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

B.J. wrote: View Post
Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
I am by no means a culinary expert, but my philosophy is that if you can boil water, you can cook.
My wife says I can burn water.
My ex, almost literally, burned water. Ruined my best cast aluminum pan by leaving the heat on high for hours... the bottom melted to the burner!

I love to cook. When I was a kid, Mom made a baked Reuben sandwich from a recipe she found. It was my birthday. From that day on, I wanted a Reuben instead of a birthday cake every year. It is a very easy recipe, for those who like a Reuben sandwich. You can vary the meats and/or cheeses for variety.

Those of you who cook from scratch can sneer or do it your way. I know the recipe by heart, so here:
Baked Reuben Sandwich

1 pound Corned beef, or my favorite, Black Forest Ham
1/2 pound Swiss cheese, aged or smoked Cheddar makes for a tasty twist
1 can Sauerkraut
1 teaspoon dry hot mustard
seasoning to taste
1 package (makes 1 loaf) bread mix, I prefer Fleischmann's Italian Herb
either deep dish pie pan or 9"x9" square casserole dish, I can also stretch it to a 9"x13" casserole dish, too

-Prepare bread mix according to directions. Separate into two halves. Let rise.
-While dough rises, squeeze all liquid from sauerkraut
-Mix dry hot mustard and seasoning into sauerkraut thoroughly
-Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray
-Spread with 1/2 bread loaf to coat pan evenly
-Pre-bake bottom loaf, 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes
-Remove from oven
-Spread sauerkraut mixture over pre-baked bread
-Layer meat then top with cheese
-Finally, CAREFULLY spread other 1/2 of bread dough on top
- I like to sprinkle paprika on top for that professional look
- Bake in 350 degree oven according to bread directions
- Remove, let cool, slice and Voila! you have ready made Reuben sandwiches.
I often need to make a double or triple batch when friends, kids and grandchildren are over... it goes fast!

Last edited by Sector 7; May 7 2013 at 03:39 AM.
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 06:50 AM   #19
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
I am by no means a culinary expert, but my philosophy is that if you can boil water, you can cook.
My wife says I can burn water.
My ex-husband used to say that about me. Wouldn't let me into the kitchen.

Since I bought my condo last year, and I now have a decent-sized kitchen, I've been making a lot more interesting meals. Mostly, I've been making Thai and Indian food - I decided last year that I wanted to expand my palate. I've never been able to tolerate spicy food, so I'm not making anything terribly hot, but I've been making butter chicken, korma masala, biryani, mango chicken, Pad Thai and peanut satay chicken on a regular basis. Last week, I made a Mongolian-style stir fry which was quite good, if I say so myself.

I was thinking about trying to make lasagna a week or two ago, but it seems like an awful lot of work to do it from scratch. I'm not convinced that I really want it that badly (though it's one of my favourite meals, buying a frozen lasagna is probably easier ).
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 08:26 AM   #20
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

I quite enjoy cooking. I didn't do it much because I don't like doing alone (leftovers, lonely cleanup), but my girlfriend moved in a few months ago and I cooking dinner most week nights and breakfast on Saturday's and Sunday's (it helps I work from home). I'm not a gourmet or anything, I just like to experiment, and she supports me, even when it goes wrong

I made lovely (if I do say so myself) dish last night as a matter of fact. Couscous with olives and feta, a side of spicy baked black pepper chicken, and an orange and apricot reduction sauce drizzled on top. Went over quite well!
Old May 7 2013, 11:03 AM   #21
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Sigokat, what kind of pie shell recipe were you looking for? For sweet or savory pies? I have recipes for both.

Kestra, Amazon has the recipe book Sigokat quoted as source for the pecan pie recipe: http://www.amazon.com/Cook-like-peas.../dp/0695805924
Rhubardodendron, I'm not entirely sure I guess whichever would go with a pecan pie. I have some other pie recipes I'm wanting to try when I get back home as well.

The recipe book that my Grandmother made was for all her children (6 total) and included all their favorite recipes growing up and then all the rest she used to do. It includes everything from appetizers to drinks to desserts. She was a beast in the kitchen!!

I have the book now because it came to me when my father passed away 2 years ago (he was only 57). I have yet to try any of her recipes but plan to do so when I get home. Some of the things I remember her making from when i was a child were so good!
Old May 7 2013, 12:22 PM   #22
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I'm really sick to death of cooking, as I said in the veggie thread I enjoy assembling. Even making cold vietnamese rolls is more about assemblage.

I do however love eating.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2013, 06:45 PM   #23
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Can anyone recommend a good strawberry cake recipe? I tried the Pillsbury cake mix and think it's too... dense.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 02:55 AM   #24
Snow Is Falling
Vice Admiral

View Snow Is Falling's Twitter Profile

Yep, I cook a lot. Well, at least every week or two. I do lasagna, chili con carne/ bolognese and other pasta dishes quite well. I took a catering course (and did some work experience) 2-3 years ago so I can do that thing where you chop vegetables really fast (while avoiding my fingers!) which is genuinely fun.

I also do baking on occasion (usually biscuits/cakes and such) and a few deserts; I suppose my 'specialty' would be lemon or lime cheesecake. I also flip pancakes, which is always a laugh.
Snow Is Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2013, 08:14 AM   #25
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

If salads count, I can make some pretty decent veggie salads. And I like my salads tossed. Vinaigrette is the best dressing to use for this type, though I hardly if ever eat salads at home.
Old May 8 2013, 09:31 AM   #26
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I make a killer grilled cheese.
Old May 13 2013, 01:53 AM   #27
Portal
Commander

I'm an expert at cooking angel hair pasta and it's not easy to get just right.
Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 05:01 AM   #28
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

my pot roast sandwiches are the envy of the galay. the secret ingredient? love.
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2013, 08:57 PM   #29
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I made a prime rib dinner last night!
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2013, 02:54 PM   #30
blueXmas

I cook every night except Fridays (takeout pizza) and Saturdays (fast food or eat out), and by cooking I mean meat, starch, veg. Right now I'm in love with making soup (the slower cooked, the better) so I'm a little bummed that the weather is finally getting warmer. We've had soups every Thursday since October, except on Thanksgiving. I've got quite the repertoire now.

As for cooking mags, I recommend Every Day, which is a Martha Stewart publication. The recipes are easy, and they rarely take more than 30-45 minutes start to finish. They use regularly available ingredients usually, and introduce other ingredients in a way that you'd actually want to eat them. I think it's available in an app.