Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 2 2013, 01:15 PM   #16
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Re: Saucer Separation

Maurice wrote: View Post
They can say it was because it slowed the story down, but they could have easily cut down the number of shots for the separation to make it quick.
Hell, they could have skipped the sequence altogether if necessary, starting the prep before a commercial and coming back in with the separation done and a log entry filling in the blanks. TV is filled with shortcuts. The whole reason for the transporter back in the day was to "keep from having to film the ship landing every week." Well, the same shortcuts could have been done there too, you don't always have to see the whole complex and expensive landing sequence, so I never quite bought that.

The third season of Lost in Space got around it.
Old May 2 2013, 01:45 PM   #17
xvicente
Commander

That I remember, it was only done in the pilot, the other first season episode when Geordi was in command, in The Best of Both Worlds (this time it was useful for something) and finally in Generations.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 02:31 PM   #18
E-DUB
Captain

I always thought it would have been cool to show a few "drive section only" Galaxies during the Dominion war. Didn't those renegade Klingons say something like; "Relieved of the bulky saucer this would be a formidable ship."
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 03:27 PM   #19
Timo
Admiral

Apparently, he was wrong...

...And it is a tad embarrassing that said renegade Klingon character happened to be Worf! (Korris brought up the separation ability, Worf commented on its effects on the ship's fighting ability.)

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 05:16 PM   #20
davejames
Vice Admiral

E-DUB wrote: View Post
I always thought it would have been cool to show a few "drive section only" Galaxies during the Dominion war. Didn't those renegade Klingons say something like; "Relieved of the bulky saucer this would be a formidable ship."
I thought we saw far too many Galaxies period during the Dominion War. It was kind of fun to see them.... but also made the D itself seem a bit less special somehow.

Like they just had those things on an assembly line or something.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2013, 06:02 PM   #21
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
E-DUB wrote: View Post
I thought we saw far too many Galaxies period during the Dominion War. It was kind of fun to see them.... but also made the D itself seem a bit less special somehow.

Like they just had those things on an assembly line or something.
There were no more than ten Galaxy-class ships seen at any given time during the Dominion War. It's not implausible that the Galaxy-class was already in mass production by the time the Enterprise-D was commissioned. Even if there were a total of twelve or fifteen Galaxy-class ships in service, that would still make them rare in comparison to the rest of the Starfleet, IMO.
Old May 3 2013, 02:40 PM   #22
xvicente
Commander

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Hell, they could have skipped the sequence altogether if necessary, starting the prep before a commercial and coming back in with the separation done and a log entry filling in the blanks.
That. If there must be another reason not to do the separation I think it was because 1) it was useless (except for the pilot "look new sfx that we couldnt do in the 60s" scenes) and 2) the battle section alone is ugly.

Ugly because the designer (Probert? Sternbach?) never had the chance to do a proper separable design.

In another example, the ship from that VOY episode separated in 3 parts and all of them looked alright. They even thought to make a tiny pop-up warp nacelle for the section that didn't have them keep able to warp.

I am here to talk about Star Trek and chew bubble gum.
and I'm all outta bubble gum.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 01:21 AM   #23
Tiberius
Commodore

I think the saucer separation WAS used in a decisive manner in tBoBW, where they try to trick the Borg into thinking the saucer is just a diversion, leading to the Borg concentrating their attack on the stardrive while the saucer is actually used to launch Data and Worf's shuttle.

And I can think of an episode where saucer sep would have been great but wasn't used - The Schizoid man. Separate the ship. The saucer, with its extensive sickbay, stays around Grave's World, while the Stardrive rushes off to help the Constantinople.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 09:58 AM   #24
USS Firefly
Commander

And I can think of an episode where saucer sep would have been great but wasn't used - The Schizoid man. Separate the ship. The saucer, with its extensive sickbay, stays around Grave's World, while the Stardrive rushes off to help the Constantinople.
That's a good point, they could have used it that way more often
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 12:11 PM   #25
Timo
Admiral

The big problem there is the capacity imbalance. The battle section can get to places fast, but it has virtually no resources to deal with anything except battle - it could not have handled the Constantinople crisis alone because all the big medical facilities were on the saucer. Conversely, the saucer alone apparently could not have sailed to the hurt transport fast enough and rescued her from whatever calamity had befallen her, while the big engines and tractor beams and whatnot of the battle section would have been wasted orbiting Gravesworld.

Worse still, "Best of Both Worlds" suggests that the battle section suffers a reduction of its combat abilities when separated; for some reason, power from the saucer's impulse engines is useful or even essential in combat...

Sure, there are situations where the great habitation, storage, medical aid and research capacity of the saucer is best left floating at a destination and there is no need for either big engines or powerful shields or weapons. But few episodes feature such situations, even though those could have been rather easily written in and the vast majority of TNG episodes could have been launched with a Captain's Log stating "Stardate Today, we have left the saucer section at Alpha Omega and are now conducting a mission of great importance at Beta Epsilon". What simpler way to set up the A/B plot structure so endemic for the show?

Timo Saloniemi
Old May 4 2013, 02:45 PM   #26
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

xvicente wrote: View Post
Turned out that, after the show-off in the pilot episode, that capability was used only in a few episodes and, I dare to say, never in a decisive manner.
Never? Au contraire.

In The Best of Both Worlds, Part II, saucer separation was one of the tactics employed to distract the Borg, in Riker's battle to rescue Picard, which was a win for Riker.
Old May 4 2013, 02:55 PM   #27
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

It occurs to me that "The Defector" is a prime example of a scenario where saucer separation would have made a lot of sense. Drop off the families, etc., before going into a situation that may very well be a trap.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2013, 03:53 PM   #28
R. Star
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Turned out that, after the show-off in the pilot episode, that capability was used only in a few episodes and, I dare to say, never in a decisive manner.
Never? Au contraire.

In The Best of Both Worlds, Part II, saucer separation was one of the tactics employed to distract the Borg, in Riker's battle to rescue Picard, which was a win for Riker.
It really just struck me as a fanwank, we're doing this because it's cool novelty, than a plot necessity in BoBW2. Just like that anti-matter spread thing, which wasn't ever seen or heard from before or after.
Old May 4 2013, 04:01 PM   #29
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Never? Au contraire.

It really just struck me as a fanwank, we're doing this because it's cool novelty, than a plot necessity in BoBW2. Just like that anti-matter spread thing, which wasn't ever seen or heard from before or after.
Basically that antimatter spread was very powerful (but still otherwise harmless) chaff--used by surprise at very close-range, it can temporarily blind or confuse an enemy ship so they don't notice a tiny shuttlecraft slipping up alongside it.
Old May 4 2013, 04:15 PM   #30
Timo
Admiral

Indeed - clearly not a weapon, and not of any value in a more conventional fight. Otherwise, Locutus would not have been confused by it!

One wonders how it was implemented, though. The fireworks seem to come from the dorsal phaser strip, but no technobabble associates antimatter (or the ability to produce antimatter) with phaser strips...

Still, I guess strange stuff coming out of a phaser is better than phaser beams coming out of strange locations. And some episodes describe phasers as transporter-like devices, capable of carrying substances or even devices in the beam (see "Macrocosm"). Perhaps the dorsal phaser strip can transport antimatter and other surprising substances into space to strange, harmless but sometimes tactically advantageous effect.

Timo Saloniemi