RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 528
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 19 2014, 05:24 PM   #226
Shat Happens
Captain

Re: Saucer Separation

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
the arboretum of the TMP Enterprise also featured a blue glare.
Man, I so love that shot.

Also, I used to think that was the engine room, because the warp mixer glows blue too. I rationalized the inside scenes by the windows having shutters.

I ALSO thought the engine room should be in the centerline of the hull and connected to the (I didnt know what it was then) deflector.

That's where all those blue lights took me.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 05:31 PM   #227
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Mytran wrote: View Post
But the sky on planet Earth doesn't glow blue that intensely, otherwise we'd all walk around looking like Andorians! The windows of an Arboretum should emit the same type of "daylight" coloured light as most other windows on the ship, I would have thought.
AFAIK, we never saw what the crew looked like in the TMP arboretum.
Old August 19 2014, 07:33 PM   #228
mos6507
Captain

Another possibility. BTW, in Force of Nature (an episode most would rather forget) the Enterprise coasts at warp-speed in order to get out of the rift, but the warp drive was, for the most part, powered down. So it's possible that the saucer section, after separation, as long as it could maintain some sort of minimal warp-bubble, could coast for a while before dropping out of warp, but maybe not perform any course-correction.
Old August 19 2014, 09:30 PM   #229
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^This actually was brought up earlier, and personally I think it's the best compromise of the competing theories, considering that ultimately there's no answer that unifies all of the information available. At least not beyond "Whether the saucer has or does not have warp capability is dependent on whether the plot calls for it."
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 09:40 AM   #230
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Mytran wrote: View Post
But the sky on planet Earth doesn't glow blue that intensely, otherwise we'd all walk around looking like Andorians! The windows of an Arboretum should emit the same type of "daylight" coloured light as most other windows on the ship, I would have thought.
Why would an arboretum even have gigantic ceiling windows? Wouldn't a holographic ceiling to simulate a sky that also emits plant appropriate lighting make more sense?

The blue lights are the saucer warp drive, it's the most logocal explanation.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 11:38 AM   #231
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Takeru wrote: View Post
Why would an arboretum even have gigantic ceiling windows? Wouldn't a holographic ceiling to simulate a sky that also emits plant appropriate lighting make more sense?
In this case you might as well ask why to have an arboretum at all, because any holodeck could just substitute the whole thing.

I'd believe that people in the 24th Century would still cherish the "real things", so if you wanted to walk between actual plants the sky should also have some kind of authenticity, even if the stars above were not the stars of home.

The advantage of an arboretum, IMHO, is that you can meet fellow crew members there any time of the day without the need to make a holodeck reservation.

If there were no other candidates for a warp drive location in the saucer section, I would agree.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 12:20 PM   #232
SPCTRE
Infinitely Cloud Powered

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I think it's also worth questioning whether any low-level warp field that might exist under impulse power, presumably for the purpose of mass reduction
Old August 20 2014, 04:04 PM   #233
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

It's "logocal" to assume that the lights represent a Federation warp drive that's radically different in design (not to mention placement) from any we've seen before?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2014, 04:13 PM   #234
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
I think it's also worth questioning whether any low-level warp field that might exist under impulse power, presumably for the purpose of mass reduction
Yup.
Old August 20 2014, 08:44 PM   #235
SPCTRE
Infinitely Cloud Powered

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile