RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 377
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 16 2013, 02:57 PM   #31
Redfern
Commodore

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

Kari Byron on the "shake table"...ratings gold!

Why, yes; I am a horn-dog. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 06:13 PM   #32
Forbin
Admiral

In fact, I'm surprised the net wasn't flooded with shaking-Kari GIFs this morning!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 07:13 PM   #33
davejames
Vice Admiral

Not really surprised by the first stall being the cleanest, since that's usually what I've noticed in my visits to public restrooms.

And yeah, the shake table was pretty cool. Even if they do have a bunch of consultants on hand, I still find myself constantly impressed by Tori, Kari and Grant's building skills, and their ability to engineer such complicated devices.

And it WAS pretty amazing watching something as solid and sturdy-looking as that brick structure slowly come apart. It's one of those things you just can't imagine happening until you actually see it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 09:58 PM   #34
Redfern
Commodore

Especially when we learned the concrete morter was allowed to cure for three weeks. Looks like they tried to be as authentic as reasonably possible for their test.

Good to know, too! I never heard of the "duck and cover" alternative until last night's presentation. Like many folks, I grew up with the "doorway" recommendation.

Still...Kari "bouncing"...dayum!!!

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 10:45 PM   #35
davejames
Vice Admiral

Actually I thought her little dance in the introduction was far sexier.
Old May 20 2013, 06:35 PM   #36
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I didn't need to see the deadliest catch myth to know you can get yanked overboard by a spool of rope.

My cousin is a lobster fisherman in Nova Scotia and got pulled overboard when he got tangled up in the rope. He was pulled under by the weight of all the lobster pots and they had to winch everything back up to get him out. He wasn't breathing when they pulled him out and only came back after my Uncle performed CPR on him. He was very lucky.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2013, 09:12 PM   #37
Forbin
Admiral

Yeah, more than a few "myths" over the years have been pretty obvious things like that. I guess they just do them for the sake of doing something spectacular, or promoting another show, or maybe just to show us we should be careful.
Old May 20 2013, 09:20 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

^Then again, the "obvious" is often untrue, which is why science is about finding out rather than assuming. Sometimes the results are exactly what you thought they'd be, yes, but sometimes they're totally different. And that's why it's worth doing.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2013, 02:59 PM   #39
Forbin
Admiral

True, dat.
Old May 23 2013, 03:17 AM   #40
Christopher
Writer

Another "special" this week, this time focusing on race-car myths.

Car vs. runner: This is sort of the same principle as their classic myth about whether a toy car could outrace a real car coasting downhill. The difference is that the car and the runner are both under power, but it's still about relative rates of acceleration over a short distance.

Impressive that Adam was able to tie the car on one trial. Though as it turned out, that was because Jamie couldn't accelerate the car as effectively as the pro driver could. Interesting that the result came down more to the driver's skill than the runner's. Their pro runner could definitely have beat Jamie or Adam's driving.

Manhole cover: My main question is, why would Indianapolis 500 racecars be racing on the streets instead of the speedway?

And if manhole covers can't be sucked up, where did the myth come from? I'm wondering if the shape of the cover has anything to do with it. Theirs had a smooth surface, but a real one has kind of a waffle-iron texture, and I think they sometimes have holes in them. I wonder if it would've made a difference if they'd replicated those properties.

Fast weight loss: Okay, so they called it plausible that driving in a race for three hours could generate enough sweat and exertion to burn off ten pounds, though they only got five. But it seems to me that losing ten pounds through sweat alone can't be very healthy, or very long-lasting, since it's basically just dehydration.

One thing I've never quite understood is how weight lost to exercise actually leaves the body. I mean, that's physical substance that has to go somewhere. Does it all just get sweated out? My assumption would be that the fatty compounds and such are broken down by the metabolism and, err, go the way of all bodily waste. If that's the case, then real weight loss, of fat rather than just moisture, couldn't be registered immediately after exertion, but only after... err... some time had passed, let's put it that way.

Also, how much of the perspiration was still saturating their clothes when they weighed themselves post-race (and post-sauna)? Maybe they should've showered and changed into identical dry clothes before the second weighing.

At first I was surprised to hear that an auto race could last for three hours. That seemed an oddly long time for something so fast-paced. But then I remembered... the name "Indy 500" refers to the number of miles driven, right? So 500 miles in 3 hours would be 167 mph, which is more or less consistent with the speeds mentioned for the race cars featured here. (You can tell I don't follow sports much.)

Old May 23 2013, 05:48 PM   #41
davejames
Vice Admiral

Man, driving a Charger on that test track looks like it would be fun as hell to do (except for the lack of power steering of course, which I've had to do before and is massively hard).

As for the manhole, I suspect there are probably different kinds and weights to those things, and some might be more susceptible to being sucked up by Indy cars than others.
Old May 23 2013, 08:24 PM   #42
Christopher
Writer

What surprised me was learning that manholes can weigh 130 pounds. That puts into perspective all the scenes in cartoons and action movies where characters casually pull up manhole covers to dive into/climb out of the sewers.

Old May 23 2013, 08:44 PM   #43
Forbin
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

Manhole cover: My main question is, why would Indianapolis 500 racecars be racing on the streets instead of the speedway?
Not much of a follower of racing either, but I was aware of the street racing aspect (The Le Mans Grand Prix being the most famous). A quick Wiki visit gives us the poop:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_circuit
Old May 23 2013, 09:09 PM   #44
Prince of Space
Lieutenant

Here is a short explanation of how fat is lost from the body through exercise. I wasn't sure about it myself.
Prince of Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2013, 10:59 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

^Of course, I should've realized. Most organic compounds are primarily CHON, and fat is burned, so it gets turned mostly into water and carbon dioxide. So the lost mass is mostly breathed, sweated, and urinated away. Thus, I suppose that as long as they took a quick bathroom break before weighing themselves, then the weight loss results would be pretty accurate, aside from the question of how much sweat saturated their clothes.