TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 23 2014, 04:31 AM   #391
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL
Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

Christopher wrote: View Post
The Science Channel
Owned by Discovery Communications. I mean, have you seen all the alien shows they've been running on there?

That said, Mythbusters is already on Netflix, so going to an independent show might be worth the jump...
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 04:36 AM   #392
Christopher
Writer

^Good point. I naively allowed myself to think that something called The Science Channel might actually have some science on it.

This is why we need public television! We need an outlet for science programming that isn't dependent on ad revenues and thus doesn't have to appeal to the tastes of the lowest common denominator to stay on the air.

And some of Mythbusters is on Netflix, but it's just the video compilations, not the entire series. And some of the episodes are edited because their rights to the movie clips expired or something.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 04:43 AM   #393
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

I naively allowed myself to think that something called The Science Channel might actually have some science on it.
It's a common misconception.

nah j/k there's more science on Science than there is discovery on Discovery, at least.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 06:54 PM   #394
publiusr
Commodore

This is why we need public television!
Applause!
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2014, 04:47 PM   #395
Push The Button
Captain

So, no more build-team. This makes me sad.

Oh, and it isn't just The Science Channel that has sold out, The History Channel is also full of reality shows and other nonsense now. I love Pawn Stars and American Pickers, but they really belong on another network.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 01:44 AM   #396
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

In this episode we're told by the announcer/clips that the guys couldn't get a hold of a real plane due to their "past experience" with them. (Cue clips of them blowing up, cutting up and destroying planes over the last 10-12 years of the show.)

Anyone sort of doubt this? I mean it made for cute moment in the show to segue into the clips but I think their reason for not using a real plane was more of the simple logistics of it.

First of all, if they used an actual airliner they wouldn't have the advantage of observing the action in such a manner they'd be limited to what they could film inside an average sized airliner cabin. This would have seriously impacted the "visual stimuli" of the myth segments.

Secondly, they'd need either a jetway (meaning they'd have to rent out a gate at an airport which I'm sure would be a logistics and security nightmare) in order to properly simulate the boarding process of an airliner. The other alternative would to be use a rolling staircase which means filming outside (which depending on weather conditions wouldn't be practical or comfortable for the participants) and it'd probably be more difficult to simulate the "real-world" boarding process with the terminal seating, call station, jetway ramp, etc. (A staircase being slower to climb and flow people through than a jetway.)

So I think their using this mock-up of an airline cabin they went with had more to do with TV-reasons that this set was easier to build, cheaper to build, and gave them more control over the environment, the terminal and boarding replication as well as a chance to observe the events inside the "airplane" without being limited to looking down the aisle from a bulkhead.

Again, the set-up for why they went with the set idea is "funny" in the sense it set-up the clip segment, but I think the direction they went with when it came to testing the myth had more to do with TV reasons than them somehow not being able to rent an airplane to test boarding methods with.

Last edited by Ugly Sweater; August 25 2014 at 01:59 AM.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 01:54 AM   #397
Christopher
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
In this episode we're told by the announcer/clips that the guys couldn't get a hold of a real plane due to their "past experience" with them. (Cue clips of them blowing up, cutting up and destroying planes over the last 10-12 years of the show.)

Anyone sort of doubt this? I mean it made for cute moment in the show to segue into the clips but I think their reason for not using a real plane was more of the simple logistics of it.
I tend to agree, but not entirely. I'm sure they were joking about their past record with jets being the reason, but I can buy that they did actually look into the possibility of using a real jet and airport boarding lounge and gate, but determined that it would be prohibitive. I doubt any airport would be willing to shut down one of its gates for a whole day or however long the testing would take. They may have known from the start that it would be a long shot to do it for real, but I can see their researchers looking into the possibility as due diligence.

Old August 25 2014, 01:57 AM   #398
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Yeah. I'm sure they looked into it but I'm sure the practicality of it, and again better filming and observing opportunities, wasn't there over making their own airplane cabin set with the jetway and terminal lounge.
Old August 25 2014, 02:14 AM   #399
Christopher
Writer

Besides, they probably thought it was more fun to build their own.

Old September 5 2014, 08:57 PM   #400
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

It's sad that Kari, Grant and Tori are now gone.

It's even sadder that their final episode is an almost two year old one with the last blueprint scene refilmed to tell us they've been axed.
Old September 5 2014, 09:36 PM   #401
Christopher
Writer

^Um, no, that was a new episode. It was the finale of the latest season.

Old September 5 2014, 09:46 PM   #402
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

It might have been new for the US but it was first shown in Australia October 2012.

Need proof?

Here you go.

Last edited by captain crow; September 5 2014 at 10:07 PM. Reason: adding visual proof
captain crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2014, 01:28 AM   #403
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Yeah, I think in the opening scenes we've seen Adam in the pilot's get-up for a little while now so this segment was filmed quite sometime ago even if the episode was recently cut together.

I don't know how they're putting together or airing the episodes but, I doubt Kari, Grant and Tori have been axed for nearly 2-years now and we're just now finding out about it. Not in this universe.

So something "new" somewhere happened this past "season" for us. It's just a shame we didn't get a final "big myth" episode with both teams.
Old September 6 2014, 08:20 AM   #404
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Kind of weird that the Build Team do not feature in their farewell though, don't you think?
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2014, 04:48 PM   #405
Push The Button
Captain

Tosk wrote: View Post
Kind of weird that the Build Team do not feature in their farewell though, don't you think?
I don't know how it works in the entertainment business, but in the corporate world you usually get ambushed by an HR drone or a manager, then are given five minutes to pack your personal belongings while they watch you, before getting marched out to the parking lot like some kind of criminal.
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote