Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 4 2014, 03:37 AM   #271
Forbin
Admiral

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

^Or if you're someone who likes to say "Hold mah beer an' watch this!"
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 04:17 AM   #272
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I'm watching a repeat of the animal myths. I wonder when someone suggested water bottles as cat deterrents that perhaps they meant to actually spray them with it rather than just their mere presence which seems rather dubious from the get go.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 05:12 AM   #273
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

The "premise" of the technique, which I'm guessing they got from the fan suggestion, was that the light-show from the bottles as they reflected sunlight dazzled and confused the cats away. (Much like how it was supposed to work with flies.) If it was the spritz-bottle technique I'm sure they would've gleamed that from the fan suggestion(s) and, well, it obviously works because a)people use it all of the time b)cats hate getting wet.
Old February 10 2014, 05:41 AM   #274
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I googled it and there's a bunch of sites that suggest that works. I never heard of that before and it just sounds so ludicrous I thought maybe there was a misunderstanding, I guess not. Now if they could hook up some spritzers with a motion detector...
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 05:45 AM   #275
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I googled it and there's a bunch of sites that suggest that works. I never heard of that before and it just sounds so ludicrous I thought maybe there was a misunderstanding, I guess not. Now if they could hook up some spritzers with a motion detector...
They actually make such a thing, my mom had it hooked up to her garden as a supposed deterrent to other animals, like deer.
Old February 16 2014, 03:19 AM   #276
Christopher
Writer

This week: "Myth-ssion Impossible," testing proverbs about things that supposedly can't be done.

Herding cats: Oh boy, more kitties! It seemed to me that part of the reason the cats were uncooperative is that they were nervous in the unfamiliar environment. My cats would get similarly sullen and slow and cautious when they were somewhere new and unnerving, and that made them even less inclined to cooperate with going where people wanted them to go. That's why they weren't interested in the toys or the lasers -- they were just too wary and on edge.

What they should've done was remembered the snake test from a few weeks ago -- they made one part of the set more inviting to the snakes by making it dark and warm. If the cat corral had been covered and dark, if it had given the cats a place where they could hide and not be exposed out in the open, they would've made a beeline for it -- as was proven when several of their guest felines escaped and hid inside the wall.

It's all about psychology. Herding works on sheep or cattle because it's just taking what they're naturally inclined to do anyway and redirecting it. So the way to get cats to go -- at least approximately -- where you want is to find a way that's based in their psychology. Of course, "herding" would be the wrong word for that, since they aren't herd animals.

I feel a little sorry for the sheepdog. He was used to herding cooperative, submissive animals, and suddenly he was surrounded by hostile predators. "I'm not trained for this, man!"

Of course, I've found that the best way to get cats to go where you want is to pick them up and put them in a box. Although that's often easier said than done.

Catching a greased pig: Not that hard, apparently, although I doubt grabbing the hind legs is what the proverb has in mind (and I'm surprised that's considered the most humane technique -- it looks painful). Also, it probably doesn't make much difference, but the proverb specifies grease, not birthing lubricant. Would it be easier or harder with actual grease? What exactly qualifies as grease and what doesn't?

Grant and Tory's pig-catching devices were both really overcomplicated. No surprise Grant went the "robot" route, but his grippers were too small, having to be precisely aimed to work. I saw right off that it wouldn't do much good. And what was Tory thinking with that suction rig?

As for the third myth... I'd rather not talk about it. Except to say that I've never heard that saying before, mercifully.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 04:34 AM   #277
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Meh, episode. After last week's break I would've expected more than this. Really nothing to add or talk about. Just both teams goofing around is all this added up to as none of the "myths" were really that interesting.
Old February 16 2014, 06:02 AM   #278
Christopher
Writer

^But... but... cats! Anything to do with cats is interesting!

They should do a lot more cat myths. Not the nine-lives one, though, for obvious reasons.

Old February 16 2014, 12:23 PM   #279
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Cats.

Meh.
Old February 16 2014, 06:55 PM   #280
Redfern
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
As for the third myth... I've never heard that saying before, mercifully.
Around here, a more sanitized" version of that expression gets recited, "Ten pound of sugar in a five pound sugar sack." Which would prove even more difficult since granular cane sugar can't be as easily compressed. Now it could, in theory, be "ground" into something akin to powdered sugar, but I doubt the volume could be reduced by the required "half".

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2014, 09:26 PM   #281
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I'm kind of on the side of Adam that the "water" in the dung doesn't count. So, "in theory" they got the requisite 10-pounds in the 5-pound sack. But then there's both in the "spirit of the myth" and then there's the idea of "all things being equal." The spirit of the myth is that you can't make a lot of something fit into something designed for much less. Which, well, you just can't no matter how much you try. In the "all things being equal" aspect the "wrung out" dung is different than the water-logged dung. Which is sort of what Jamie was getting at, the stuff with the less water in it is different than the stuff that was water logged.

And between this myth and the one from a couple of weeks ago I find it sort of odd and bizarre you apparently can just buy a big bucket full of both lion feces and horse feces. I mean with the latter I get that the animals are raised somewhere and they do this a LOT so it's obviously being collected and disposed of. Just very odd that apparently you can get a hold of a 5-lb barrel of it. With lions they're not raised nearly as much as horses are so the only place you get a hold of it would be zoos which I still imagine would have a good "supply" of it but also it's just odd that apparently they can collect it and ship you a five-gallon barrel of it.

With the lion dung it was integral part of the myth (no matter how silly the idea was. Between the "cure being worse than the disease" and that it's sort of odd to prevent animals from leaving waste where you don't want it by... surrounding that area with waste?

For the horse-dung myth I suspect a comparable analogue could have been come up with, something with the same density as the dung and possibly not as water logged. In which case you couldn't compress it short of may squeezing a lot of air out of it.
Old February 16 2014, 09:47 PM   #282
Christopher
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I'm kind of on the side of Adam that the "water" in the dung doesn't count. So, "in theory" they got the requisite 10-pounds in the 5-pound sack. But then there's both in the "spirit of the myth" and then there's the idea of "all things being equal." The spirit of the myth is that you can't make a lot of something fit into something designed for much less. Which, well, you just can't no matter how much you try. In the "all things being equal" aspect the "wrung out" dung is different than the water-logged dung. Which is sort of what Jamie was getting at, the stuff with the less water in it is different than the stuff that was water logged.
Let's face it, the only reason the saying references that particular substance is for the sake of profanity. The core idea is that you can't fit 10 pounds of a given material into a bag designed to hold 5 pounds of same. So regardless of the material or its composition, if it's not 10 pounds actually in the bag, then it doesn't count.

Old February 17 2014, 04:50 AM   #283
Forbin
Admiral

We use the expression in the graphics department all the time. We used to have a GM who loved to take a 30 page powerpoint presentation and combine slides 4-to-a-slide so he could claim a smaller page count. And his single-page diagrams were usually so information-dense that they were already hard to read! So we'd be trying to make four complex full-page diagrams maintain their readability at 1/4-page size. I think he even once asked us to take four of those quad-chart pages and fit THEM on one page!!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2014, 03:16 AM   #284
Christopher
Writer

All gun/bullet myths this week. Really neat animation in the intro!

Bent barrel: Sword forge. Interesting.

I'm a bit surprised the bullets worked with all the bent barrels, but I guess we've seen similar effects before, like the one where they shot through a curved pipe. Still, I have doubts about their methodology. All the shots were at point-blank range. Jamie said the bullets were tumbling, so what effect would that have had at a distance?

Also, if we vary the premise from a cartoon setup to a comic-book or sci-fi one, where someone like Superman or Steve Austin bends the gun barrel, we can assume there'd be some crushing or pinching involved and the bend wouldn't be as smooth as these. I'd like to see them test that variant, though they'd need to construct some kind of superstrong robot arm that could bend an unheated barrel. Which, let's face it, would be pretty cool in itself.

What is bulletproof: A familiar routine here. The shooting gallery gimmick was silly. Interesting that the tape measure was effective at blocking the small-caliber rounds. I guess it's because they were hitting the reel of metal tape from the side, so there's a lot of deformation there to absorb force and sort of snag the bullet between layers.

Shotgun spear: That was interesting. I never saw that movie. I wasn't surprised that the myth didn't work -- although I was a bit surprised that the one with the nail did fire. I'd been thinking that the "wolf"'s body would cushion the impact enough to prevent that.

Firing in vacuum: That was an interesting test. My understanding is that a bullet has built-in oxidizer, so the vacuum wouldn't have prevented firing. So the result per se wasn't too surprising. But the sound it made was kind of surprising. I was expecting it to be fairly silent, but I guess the expanding gases hit the walls of the chamber and made that sort of hollow thoom sound. The larger fireball was interesting too, but again that's the built-in oxidizer, I guess.

I don't agree with Jamie's conclusion about explosions in space, though. A small enclosed chamber is one thing, but in space, the gases would be far less contained and would dissipate extremely quickly, snuffing out the fireball. The thing here is that the vacuum inside that small chamber ceased being a vacuum as soon as the gases from the exploding shell expanded into it. At that point it had a tenuous atmosphere of (apparently) nitrogen, water vapor, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide. You could see in the high-speed how the fireball was oscillating back and forth as the shock wave reverberated through the chamber. So the chamber wasn't a good model for space.

Neon signs: No surprise here. There's nothing that would spark -- it's just glass and excited gas. Break the glass and the gas escapes, end of story. The most interesting part was Kari learning how to make neon signs. I bet that, as an artist, she appreciated the experience.

Deep fryer gun: I love the timing on this one. "Are you sure there's a bullet in there?" "I'm sure--" BANG! "Oh, I guess we'd better start paying atten--" BANG! Couldn't have been more perfect.

I suppose the reason it took less time to heat up than they thought is because the oil conducts heat better than the air of an oven.

I tell ya, I'm getting more and more sick of these ads for the bizarre shows that have taken over Discovery. Amish Mafia???? No doubt that's every bit as fake and scripted as that Moonshiners thing. And yup, Snopes confirms it's a fraud. Honestly, it's shameful for Mythbusters, a show that's all about exposing myths and frauds, to be associated with a channel that's degenerated into blatantly lying to its audience by passing pure fiction off as documentaries. This cesspool of a channel doesn't deserve to be called Discovery anymore, and it doesn't deserve to air Mythbusters anymore.

Old February 23 2014, 03:29 AM   #285
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I hear you on the "Amish Mafia" thing, Christopher. First time I heard about it I swore it was a traditional scripted drama on AMC or something.

Overall a good, fun, episode here. Not too surprising results the "bent gun barrel" myth seemed very similar to one they did a couple years ago with a bullet riding inside a pipe (granted wit the pipe not being the "barrel" of a gun so it got very different results." I am surprised the bullet remained lethal through 180-degrees. Really I think they should have continued until the barrel was a complete 360-degree spin. (Granted bent up or down for a spiral-effect.)

I don't understand the carnival game rig they went for with the "What is Bulletproof?" myth. Other than just being "fun", I guess. It didn't add anything to the "myths."

Gun in vacuum was no surprise on the results nor was the fried-gun myth.

I am surprised next week's episode was billed as the "season finale." There's been a couple of clips seen in the Mythbusters promos not seen yet -and I doubt they'll all be in next week's episode. So they must have other myths or episodes somewhat completed. As has been the case in the past I guess they'll be back sometime in the mid-summer. Just seems very odd to come back from hiatus for only a few episodes before going away again. The scheduling of this show is just bizarre. But, hey, I guess we need more time to show "Moonshiners" and "Amish Mafia."