RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,404
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 564
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 28 2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Manhattan is Superb.

Manhattan.

Thousands of people locked behind barbed wire, under Orwellian scrutiny, making babies and building a bomb in the desert to end the war.

Yup.

Gritty and intense.

Thoughts?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 09:39 AM   #2
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: Manhattan is Superb.

Call Snake Plissken?
Old July 28 2014, 09:43 AM   #3
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Call Snake Plissken?
You going to kill me, Snake?
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 10:03 AM   #4
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

In seriousness though, I don't know what to make of this. It's all anyone has been talking about around here for months--I think New Mexicans are in Breaking Bad withdrawal.

I think the concept is kind of silly. But then I've been a Manhattan buff since I was a kid, and there are three museums within driving distance devoted to it. So excuse me if I find the idea of romanticizing it a little off-putting.

Plus I don't know if WGN can cut the mustard in the long run.

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Call Snake Plissken?
You going to kill me, Snake?
It's 3am. I'm too tired.
Old July 28 2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Forbin
Admiral

I'm not sure why they needed to make a soap opera series about this. Wasn't the Fate of the Free World and the possibility of igniting the atmosphere tense enough?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2014, 01:59 PM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Wikipedia wrote:
While historical figures are referenced, the show is not intended to maintain historical accuracy
I guess that means the bomb could accidentally go off in the desert and kill everybody if the writers want to.
Old July 28 2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Forbin
Admiral

Or turn Fermi into The Hulk!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Meh, I liked Fat Man and Little Boy. Don't need to watch a whole series about it.
Old July 29 2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Frontman
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah there are a quite of movies about this already. I would of better liked if they made SF variation of this: like in not so distant future Earth is faced with another brake it or make it point and this time it's pollution and dire drop of energy resources so they gather scientists to develop something new like nuclear fusion.
Frontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 09:01 PM   #10
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I still think Woody Allen should have chosen Diane Keaton over Mariel Hemingway.

That is the Manhattan you're talking about, right?
Old July 30 2014, 03:01 AM   #11
Push The Button
Captain

This was one of the best treatments on the Manhattan project, though it covered Oppenheimer's later years as well:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0078037/
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM   #12
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Frontman wrote: View Post
Yeah there are a quite of movies about this already. I would of better liked if they made SF variation of this: like in not so distant future Earth is faced with another brake it or make it point and this time it's pollution and dire drop of energy resources so they gather scientists to develop something new like nuclear fusion.
Me too.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:55 PM   #13
Frontman
Lieutenant Commander

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
Frontman wrote: View Post
Me too.
Just imagine the first two seasons they could be working on developing nuclear fusion and then in 3rd putting it into use. People going to work shoveling piles of plastics and sending them to fusion power plants where the plastic is changed on molecular level into whatever; people turning deserts into forests and finally stop working to pay the bills but to actually make Earth a better place making them feel like superheroes when they see what their hands can do. We see them launch millions of little space bugs in Earth's orbit to partially cover the Sun whose influence has become very dangerous on wounded Earth. They also decide to send millions of little space bugs in Venus's orbit to cool it down so it can be populated with living beings.
Then in 4th season we would see governments and corporations around the world fading away as they are less and less needed for every day that passes. Not to mention religions because it's patriarchs don't care in what congregation believes in the world that money has almost no value.
And then the series would end with nuclear fusion space probe (which travels 6000 faster then today chemical ones) reaching one of the closer solar systems in 40 years after it's launch and discovering actual intelligent beings on some planet but to everyone's abhorrence they are locked in a very massive and senseless cruel clinch. So the Earthlings leave them alone with best hopes of settling their differences.
Frontman is offline   Reply With Quote